Will new passive 3D TVs help the technology catch on at home?

vbimport

Will new passive 3D TVs help the technology catch on at home?.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/02/c3sMh.jpg[/newsimage]3D is apparently the next big thing for home entertainment. The truth is, the new technology (based on old technology) is struggling to catch on. Vizio, LG and Toshiba are three companies planning on offering a less sticker shock-inducing alternative. But will consumers bite?

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/will-new-passive-3d-tvs-help-the-technology-catch-on-at-home-39794/](http://www.myce.com/news/will-new-passive-3d-tvs-help-the-technology-catch-on-at-home-39794/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Active or Passive, I think most consumers don’t want to deal with bothersome eyewear when “comfortably” watching their TV’s at home. And isn’t tech supposed to get better, not worse? (in regards to the resolution loss)

3D TV’s aren’t going to take off until the glasses-free ones get into the market. At the moment, there seems to be several promising options for making this possible. I guess we’ll have to just wait and see.

I think 3d will remain a gimmick. Eventually the tech will get so cheap they’ll build it into every tv. Sort of like how can’t find SD tv’s anymore.

How much it gets used will be anyones guess. I find that 2d movies converted to 3d look pretty lackluster when compared to something like Avatar that’s filmed in actual 3d. Which makes me thing there wouldn’t be too many movies to benefit.

I was pretty quick to jump on the HD bandwagon, but i’m less excited about 3d @ home. How good can it look on a 40 or 50 inch tv anyways?

[QUOTE=Zod;2574146]I think 3d will remain a gimmick. Eventually the tech will get so cheap they’ll build it into every tv. Sort of like how can’t find SD tv’s anymore.

How much it gets used will be anyones guess. I find that 2d movies converted to 3d look pretty lackluster when compared to something like Avatar that’s filmed in actual 3d. Which makes me thing there wouldn’t be too many movies to benefit.

I was pretty quick to jump on the HD bandwagon, but i’m less excited about 3d @ home. How good can it look on a 40 or 50 inch tv anyways?[/QUOTE]
Actually, I’ll have to concede that samsungs 3D looks great with the admittedly all of 2x 3d movies I’m viewed for the few moments when I was looking…

But seriously … this 3D thing has got to stop … passive 3D is just simply rediculous … it was great in the 60’s, when movie expectations were quite low … but now … rotflmao …

And at $3700US … hahahahaa!

There’s a lot of undisclosed issues with the “passive 3D” technology, just like there was with active shutter glasses. Suffice it to say that the image quality is mediocre and fraught with viewing angle and position issues. I see no need for it. You’re trading image quality and viewing angles for the convenience of universal glasses. You can’t even tip your head with these things.

3D will never be mainstream in the home, it’s too expensive and there’s almost no content to watch.

The glasses are not a big deal. You get used to them just like wearing shades outside or the huge % of people who wear glasses.

The factor is cost. If the active glasses drop to a “cheap” or affordable price and the TV’s too then bring it on!
For certain movies, the 3D experience is fantastic and I would love to have a huge 3D TV in my home. I would also love to try it for video games.

[QUOTE=CDan;2574269]There’s a lot of undisclosed issues with the “passive 3D” technology, just like there was with active shutter glasses. Suffice it to say that the image quality is mediocre and fraught with viewing angle and position issues. I see no need for it. You’re trading image quality and viewing angles for the convenience of universal glasses. You can’t even tip your head with these things.

3D will never be mainstream in the home, it’s too expensive and there’s almost no content to watch.[/QUOTE]
April Fools Check - No… they’re actually serious …

Passive 3D is just … stupid …

The ACTIVE 3D with glasses is impressive, in some implementations, but the active glasses needing recharge, weighing too much, costing $100+ a pair, interference from other IR sources (according to samsung, whose IR signalling implementation is just plain bad) & 3D isn’t going anywhere with the prices they’re charging, nor the extreme lack of 3D content anywhere.

Releasing “Passive” 3D, which sucks in comparison to active 3D, at price points not significantly cheaper - bah. Waste of time.
I’m sure there will be a few nostalgic buyers tryng to relive the 60/70’s 3D experience.

I just can’t see “Passive” 3D going anywhere.

I can see it now, shouting to my wife in the background, " honey, have you seen my blue and red 3D glasses"? LMAO

But seriously there’s is software like MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus that will create 3D movies to the old fashion Red/Blue (plus polarized) movies so you watch at home with a regular tv. check it out @:

http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/plus/3d-info-box/

scroll down a bit and look for “How can I watch my finished movie?” and click on “More info”

Current 3D technology is just a gimmick to sucker people into paying more for a TV or getting them to buy a new TV. When I feel like I am sitting in the movie scene then I will say that is real 3D. I’ll likely be dead before that happens, or can afford it.

Most people I hear from get sea-sick watching 3D - apparently the 3D perspectives are not natural causing strain on eyes and brain.

As long as the industry does not come up with an non vomit concept and no glasses they will continue to have a hard time selling sea sickness for a premium.

I think 3D in any meaningful way will involve head gear with a screen for each eye. Even then the video will basically be stereoscopic which has been around in photography for over 150 years.

I have the Samsung 58" 8000 3D Plasma TV and love it. I have serveral movies in 3D and have my TV hooked up to the internet and if I want to watch more 3D movies than I own I can rent them.

As for getting sea sick, I have not had that problem and I do get sea sick in a boat. I got a really good deal on the TV and the 3D BluRay player (Samsung also).

What the ads for Best Buys, that is where I got mine in a packaged deal.

As with anything, it will take time.