Will new DVD Player play DVDFAB discs

Hi all, i am about to order a panasonic dvd DVD-S511EB-K , to upscale my films to my panasonic lcd tv, so far so good. The question i need to ask is that the dvd player recomends the following discs~ dvd - r/rw. Most of my films are backed up on dvd+r using FAB PLATINUM. In the manual is says on using dvd+r/rw/+r dl ‘that some functions cannot be used’. Do i need to worry ?

are the dvd+rs booktyped to dvd-rom?

Sorry, what does book typed mean. I just let FAB do its thing…

If you are burning the discs with DVDFab the default settings should produce a booktyped copy (if your burner supports this function). This is a flag that makes your player think it is playing a commercially pressed disc. The problem you will have with the Panasonic player you mentioned is that it apparently does not like DVD+R discs. A different model is no more or less likely to have sync issues on playback. If you are in the UK (the Panasonic you mentioned is a UK model) then check out www.avforums.com for additional info. It is a good idea to take some backups you’ve made to a brick and mortar store and ask to test any player you are considering. Most places (at least here in the US) won’t mind.

I have a Panasonic DVD/HDD-Recorder.
In the manual it says, that it is NOT able to play any DVD+R/RW, only DVD-R/RW.
Though, it plays ALL of my DVD+R (Verb +R16x, TY+R 8x/16x) flawless…so just try!

I had a panasonic DMR-ES30VEBS DVD recorder + VHS combi ( have sold it now).

it would itself record on +r or _r or +rw but when presented with DVDs burned on my PC ( didn’t matter what make of media or burning software or burn speed), it would play the +R, +R DL & +RW but would not recognise the -R.

best advice is as above - go to a shop & test, or order it on the understanding that you can return it if it wont play the disc types that you want it to play.

I think that problem with -R is that some dvd recorders have their own way of formatting a disc, which is not quite the same as that used by PCs.
so the dvd recorder fails to read the un-written bit at the end of the disc & then rejects the disc. I deduced that because a -r disc which had been compressed from DL to Sl and thus was 100% full would play OK, but one that was less than 100% full would not.

I spotted the format issue when using +RW. The panasonic could not re-use a +RW that I’d erased on PC with quick erase, it had to have a never–used blank or to be something with some content left on & be allowed to do its own erasing. A disc that had been “erased” in the panasonic still had ~6MB of data on it according to my PC.

A DVD player, with no record capability, is more likely to play all types of DVDs. The Toshiba which I bought as a replacement plays everything. Upscaling is a separate function & should not be mediadependent.

I have a panasonic DVD-S35 region free DVD player, and all of my backed up copies are on DVD+R, it plays with no problem. The only thing that i have a problem with is the DVD+R DL (Dual Layer) media, it can not read it. I have tried Verbatum and Memorex DL media, no success. I bought the new Philips player with the USB port and divx upscaling, it plays all formats with no problem.

Would one of the problems that might show up playing a DVDFab recorded movie be, the movie would be displayed in black and white?

I have recorded a number of my DVD’s on Verbatim DVD+R discs which play fine on my laptop however when I took a movie to view on a friend’s Sony DVD player (don’t know the model) it would play only in B&W. Is this then a problem with the player or how I recorded the DVD? Should I make adjustments in my settings within DVDFab?

[QUOTE=BarbiGee;1962695]Would one of the problems that might show up playing a DVDFab recorded movie be, the movie would be displayed in black and white?

I have recorded a number of my DVD’s on Verbatim DVD+R discs which play fine on my laptop however when I took a movie to view on a friend’s Sony DVD player (don’t know the model) it would play only in B&W. Is this then a problem with the player or how I recorded the DVD? Should I make adjustments in my settings within DVDFab?[/QUOTE]

This is a normal problem when playing a NTSC disk on a PAL system or vice-versa, so it is a problem with the settings on your friends system.

You should be able to change settings on the player to allow the player to play both and also may need to change settings on the TV.

It will not be a problem who you recorded the DVD.

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;1962742]This is a normal problem when playing a NTSC disk on a PAL system or vice-versa, so it is a problem with the settings on your friends system.

You should be able to change settings on the player to allow the player to play both and also may need to change settings on the TV.

It will not be a problem who you recorded the DVD.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it is a problem with the difference between an NTSC and a PAL TV system however I am puzzled by what is recorded by my laptop which is neither NTSC nor PAL. Would it matter what region these DVD’s were in? I doubt that - knowing DVDFab usually will negate those.

There is no way of changing the settings on a European TV that I know of and I don’t know the access codes to the DVD player my friend uses (wouldn’t I need this?). Is this the key? If I had the model number of the brand of DVD player could I make changes?

[QUOTE=BarbiGee;1963378]however I am puzzled by what is recorded by my laptop which is neither NTSC nor PAL. Would it matter what region these DVD’s were in? I doubt that - knowing DVDFab usually will negate those.

QUOTE]

an original DVd is either NTSC or PAL, that characteristic does not change when you copy it i.e. you get either a NTSC or a PAL copy. Fab does not convert between the two formats, it just removes the region code.

a region 1 only DVd will be NTSC, a region 2 only DVD will be PAL, & the 2 formats have different number of pixels & frames per second.

so yes it does matter what region the original DVD was in as that dictates what format it was encoded. Your laptop is probably capable of displaying either DVD format, but a standalone player & TV may not be - so you get back & white if for examaple you try to watch NTSC format video on PAL only equipment.

note also that your laptop drive will only let you change it’s region code 5 times so be careful when viewing original region coded DVDs. The copies are OK as that region code flag will have been removed for you.

SUNWAYS,
The panasonic player will play dvd’s you backup on dvdfab using
dvd+r’s . As long as you finalize them they should play on any dvd
player unless they are dvdrw’s some players will play them some
won’t .
Good Luck ZAP.

Thank you all for the help, i have taken the plunge and ordered the Panasonic. i have also learned what booktyped means, i see that it is an option on the latest version of FAB. Was it always an option?, i though it should be a default setting.

[quote=sunways;1963994]Thank you all for the help, i have taken the plunge and ordered the Panasonic. i have also learned what booktyped means, i see that it is an option on the latest version of FAB. Was it always an option?, i though it should be a default setting.[/quote]It has been an option for as long as I can remember (no jokes, please).:slight_smile: I still suggest you take some burned discs to a brick and mortar to try out. Especially DLs.