Will my older system support a DVD-ROM or DVD/RW drive?

vbimport

I have a PIII running at 800mhz that already has both CD-ROM and CD-RW drives, but I would like to install either a DVD-ROM or DVD/RW drive in my open bay slot.

Will a PIII running at 800mhz support any speed of DVD drive?? If so, what speed DVD drive should I look for? What brand would be the best value for this older system.

I have EIGHT grandchildren and I want to use this older system for them to play games and learn on, so your advice will be welcomed and appreciated.

I personally run a Dell Latitude D31 dual core laptop and a Dell VOSTRO 200 dual core desktop, but also have this old machine on hand that runs great (XP Home, SP3) but need a DVD drive in it for the kids to use.

Thanks,
Winston (Malvern, Arkansas)

Hi and Welcome!

you can install a modern DVD writer, provided it has an IDE (aka PATA) interface. Most modern drives have a SATA interface which is not compatible with your computer (unless you want to install an add-on interface card).

Your system probably won’t be able to feed the drive with the maximum advertised marketing speed, but it should be good enough for 8x speed, which should give you good results with quality blank media.

My own experience:
Some years ago, I had a PIII/667 MHz that could nicely handle the 8x DVD writer I had at that time. No problems with a DVD-ROM (read-only!) either with that system.

Michael

Since its most likely IDE like Michael was saying, here’s a drive that should be fine.

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222L LightScribe Support $24 free shipping.

That drive doesn’t come with a cable, but if you already have an 80 conductor (40 pin) cable then your fine. Otherwise get a new cable like this OKGEAR 24" IDE round cable.dual device,Clear Silver. Also it wouldn’t be a bad idea to just get rid of one of the old drives just so that you don’t have to buy a new cable, you just want to make sure the old cable is an 80/40 cable like I mentioned before.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2509361]
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222L LightScribe Support $24 free shipping.[/quote]Unfortunately, these 22x Samsung drives don’t have a good reputation here. If possible, I’d rather suggest getting an Optiarc AD-720xA series drive, but they are not easily to get.

That drive doesn’t come with a cable, but if you already have an 80 conductor (40 pin) cable then your fine. Otherwise get a new cable like this OKGEAR 24" IDE round cable.dual device,Clear Silver.
A 18" (45cm) flat ribbon cable meets the standards and is therefore to be preferred over longer (or rounded) cables.

Michael