Will my older PC be able to burn DVDs?

vbimport

I wish to give my daughter a gift for burning DVD’s and don’t know if her older PC will be able to work. She has an Intel ® Celereon ® 1.60GHz, Windows XP-Hiome Version 2002, 1.59 GHz, 704 MB RAM, free hard drive space of 32.3. GB and a USB port, 2.4GHz.

I want to be sure this PC will work, and dont have a preference on manuafacturers of external burners.

Please help. Thanks,
Greg

[QUOTE=greghammers;2469549]… and a USB port, 2.4GHz.

I want to be sure this PC will work, and dont have a preference on manuafacturers of external burners.

Please help. Thanks,
Greg[/QUOTE]

The only thing I’m not clear on is the USB. Is it ver 1 or 2, I have no idea what the 2.4Ghz means. Eveything else is fine, if it’s USB 2, there should be no problem.

I’ve had many successful burns on an Pentium 3 450 Mhz.It now has 768 RAM but did many burns with 192 RAM.
As Whappo posted USB 2 should work fine.
The only thing is your HDD space is a bit limited but if the rip & burn is done on each disc then the rip deleted I don’t see a problem there either.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2469556]The only thing I’m not clear on is the USB. Is it ver 1 or 2, I have no idea what the 2.4Ghz means. Eveything else is fine, if it’s USB 2, there should be no problem.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Whappo for the response. I am quite sure the USB is Version 2. Do you think the Pioneer burner is a good choice? Greg

that pc should be able to handle it no problem…my main burning pc is a pentium 3 866 with 384 mb’s or RAM…only burns at 4x but has been doing it for the last 3 to 4 yrs with no issues

heres a list of some externals

External Dvd Drives

[QUOTE=greghammers;2469565]Thank you Whappo for the response. I am quite sure the USB is Version 2. Do you think the Pioneer burner is a good choice? Greg[/QUOTE]

I really have limited experience with different brands of burners and can’t fairly recommend one over another. Maybe someone with more experience will post their thoughts. You might also want to read the reviews here at MyCe and browse the CD/DVD burners forum for more information.

Welcome, Greg :slight_smile:

I’ve owned my external LG drive for 3 years or so - during that time, it’s been quite heavily used and is one of my favourite burners.

Hopefully their newer models are as well-made. I’d recommend giving one a try. :slight_smile:

The Pioneers are excellent burners, I have one that is 8 years old and it still reads and burns ok

Another thing: given the other specs of your daughter’s PC, you might want to double-check it is indeed USB2 - my old P4 system (1.4GHz) was only USB1.1, I had to buy a USB2 card. :wink:

shouldn’t be an issue, i would always prefer new over old.