Will my ide cable from my pioneer 106D be ok for new pioneer 111D

will my ide cable from my pioneer 106D be ok for new pioneer 111D from svp, or do i need also to order cable. thx

Should be fine, I’ve used the same cable for a variety of drives, no problems.

If the UDMA specs are the same for the 111D, as for the 110D, it’ll be UDMA4, which will mean an 80 wire cable. If you’re using one already, there should be no problem. :slight_smile:

If you have a 40 wire IDE cable, you’ll be limited to UDMA2, I think (that’s if my other PC is anything to go by. Using a UDMA4 drive in there currently, with a 40 wire cable - it says UDMA2).

I’d recommend you make sure to use an 80-wire cable with a new Pioneer. Just compare it to the one that’s connected to your hard disk. That’ll be an 80-wire, unless your system is more than 6 or 7 years old (in which case it may also be 40-wire) or unless you have a Serial ATA hard disk of course (much smaller cable).

Hehe, my other PC’s a 5 year old eMachine…the Primary IDE is indeed an 80 wire cable, but they were so cheap, they used a mobo that’d only take a 40 wire on the Secondary IDE.

Gotta love eMachines. Yet another reason for building-it-yourself :bigsmile:

Good advice from Cressida :iagree:

Why would it only take a 40-wire, Arachne? Have you tried it with 80-wire? The connectors are the same for both 40- and 80-wire and I assume it’s the same chipset that controls both IDE-channels.

Yep…of course, it could have been a faulty cable (although it was brand new). What happened, was I attached it, like you do…and BAM! The BIOS didn’t recognise either drive, and one of the drives at least was behaving rather strangely - could eject the tray, but not get it back in (had to push it in manually).

Popped the old cable back on, everything was fine. I did also notice, that on the mobo itself, the Primary IDE was coloured Blue, as is usual for ATA66 etc, but the Secondary IDE on the mobo was just regular Black.

I can always try another cable, though :slight_smile:

Yes, go ahead and try another one. I guess blue just indicates the Primary channel, my Secondary isn’t blue either :wink: (it’s also related to the option for using the “Cable Select” jumper setting on the drives, I believe). Unless it’s one or other quirk on that particular mobo, I see no reason why it shouldn’t work. Then again “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” - something to do for when you really get bored :flower: .

Thanks for that, Cressida - very much appreciated. The UDMA4 drive in question (a LiteOn 1635S) is working stunningly at UDMA2, but I’m one for fiddling with stuff, so I will try a new cable…be nice to see it at UDMA4 :iagree:…and you may be right about the CS setting - all the drives in that machine are currently set to CS.

Thanks again, that’s been bugging me for awhile :bigsmile:

@PaulSmith - sorry to hijack your thread :flower:

Just one more thing, Arachne. I never use CS, always proper MA/SL jumper settings. If the Secondary connector isn’t blue, it may not be suitable for CS-cables + jumper settings, explaining why the BIOS got in a fix. But if the other drive on that channel is UDMA2, you may never get UDMA4 on the 1635 either.

We’ll leave it at that. My apologies as well.

ok thx guys just checked it is a 80-wire, if the 111D is UDMA4 and i put another UDMA2 older drive on slave but same cable, will that not drag the 111D down to UDMA2 also, as that happens on hard drive ide cable, i mean it runs as the lowest speed drive.

u’re right, speed may drop to the lower of the two. depends on the mobo chipset and drivers used. the pio may not be happy at all with a udma2 slave attached anyway, there’s no guarantees in this game. you can check the “burst rate” of the drives with nero cdspeed for example, around 20 is udma2 and 40 udma4.

ok thx cressida.

80 wire cable is necessary here.