Will it happen

vbimport

is there a possible chance that the liteon 811s will be able to reach or even out perform the nec2500 in terms of write quality via a firmware update

I don’t think it ever will. Lite-on have released so many firmwares now and none of them have been the silver bullet. Write quality is very inconsistent.

OTOH, The NEC2500A works great on even the first firmwares.

Take a look at this thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90280

I might trash my 411s for a nec2500a as soon as I can afford it.

Here is a scan from the russian test done on CMC media:

"I don’t think it ever will. Lite-on have released so many firmwares now and none of them have been the silver bullet. Write quality is very inconsistent. " ANDROLIGHT

Can i than conclude that its not the firmware thats making the diference but most likely the HARDWARE itself ?? Like the NEC chipset used as opposed to the Mediatek in the Liteon ??

If the above assumption is correct, than am i wasting my time holding out for 812s to show quality burns similar to NEC2500 ?
i.e Further 812s firmware releases are not going to show results equal to the NEC2500.

ArchV

‘still hoping for liteons comeback’

If you feel like it you could read my posts in this thread why I still like my 411S(@811S) over the 2500A.

The 811 is supposed to be a decent writer, but it’s picky on the same media that is handled better on other writers. LiteON is working on its new drives to be released later this year, and yes they will provide new firmwares for 811 to match more media, but there will not be any significant changes in terms of writing quality. If you find the right type of media that your 811 likes you wll get very decent discs and low errors. The 811 does not produce bad results with every media. I use Memorex 4x DVD+R and always get PI/POs well within specs by a huge margin.

Originally posted by ArchV
Can i than conclude that its not the firmware thats making the diference but most likely the HARDWARE itself ??

I think the 411s and 811s was rushed out the door just a bit too fast. My 411s was defective and when I returned it to the shop they confirmed that they had gotten a lot of them in for repair so they gave me a 451s instead. This one works.

I think Lite-on hopes they can make a 411/811 firmware that works for most so as few drives are returned.

Well, this is just my theory. BTW, the 451s is everything that I expected from the 411s. I’m really happy about the 451.

does anyone think there is hope for the 411\811 in terms of better media burning via firmware do u think liteon can pull it off with there current generations of 411/811