Will I regret it if I bought a Canon iP4600 rather than an iP4500? Also: any thoughts on the new MP630 series?

I’ve read and re-read the Nifty Stuff forum thread: fun with Canon: pixma ip4600 vs pixma ip4500, and I really do want the iP4500. The problem is, I don’t think I’ll be able to find one anymore… :sad:

Since this will be my first (yay!) direct to disc inkjet printer and if I could never find an iP4500, would it be a total loss if I get the iP4600? (It’s numbered differently - iP4680 - in my country.) Would it be better if I got an Epson instead? Looking through CDan’s Printer comparison: Epson vs Canon thread, I’m really sold on getting a Canon-branded printer. Will I regret getting an iP4600 if I also plan on using compatible inks and need to print discs as fast as possible with a mid-range printer?

I’ve also read that the MP610 has a similar print engine as the iP4500 - so does this mean the MP630 (MP638 in my country btw ;)) is the iP4600’s AIO counterpart?

I’m purchasing an iP4500/MP610 or iP4600/MP630 within the next week or two so any personal experiences or insights will definitely help in my decision. Much thanks! :smiley:

According to the review by PC Pro magazine (www.pcpro.co.uk) a couple of months ago the MP630 is pretty similar to its predecessor the MP610. The main difference is that it uses new ink cartridges which are more expensive and contain less ink, so the cost per print is significantly higher (at UK cartridge prices).

The same is probably true of the iP4500 & iP4600.

So my best bet is still the Canon PIXMA iP4500 I guess. Wish me luck that I’ll be able to find a new one locally! crosses fingers

I would get the iP4500 because of the difference in ink tanks. The newer Canon inkjets use a new, and smaller, cartridge which further increases ink costs (as if they aren’t already high enough!).

iP4500 or MP610 definitely.
For all the above reasons.
Check Newegg or Frys.com for availability on MP610.
For iP4500, eBay.

I found an [B]iP4300[/B] locally, and I was surprised at how it was closely priced to the [U]iP4500[/U]. I wasn’t able to inquire more since I was in a hurry but it might be worth a second look. What do you guys think? Is the iP4300 a better choice than the iP4600?

I did find a [I]used[/I] iP4500 on eBay, but it’s halfway around the world and I wouldn’t know if all that shaking and rattling would make the printer any better (aside from the use it endured before it was decided to be sold!).

Yep, iP4300 would be preferred over iP4600.
You will see that iP4300 uses the same, desirable ink tanks as iP4500.

And oh, should I be afraid that CLI-8 inks might be phased out as well? I might purchase this fine printer but face a problem finding ink tanks in a year or two… Thoughts?

And is the iP4300 similar in every way to the iP4500?

[QUOTE=evo69;2206759]And oh, should I be afraid that CLI-8 inks might be phased out as well? I might purchase this fine printer but face a problem finding ink tanks in a year or two… Thoughts?

And is the iP4300 similar in every way to the iP4500?[/QUOTE]

It’ll be some years before the CLI-8 inks are gone completely. Well past the expected life of the printer. But the differences in ink cost between a 4500 and 4600 will pay for a new printer in a year or so.

the IP4300 and IP4500 are nearly identical except for the print head. The 4500 is slightly faster with more nozzles.

Aside from the speed, is the quality of prints between the iP4300 and iP4500 similar? If I can’t find an iP4500 I might go for this one, although the price is high considering that it’s even older than the iP4500.

I really can’t find an iP4500 for a decent price. :sad: The only options left are an iP4300 (which I’m not even sure is still available), iP4600/4680, Epson R230, or an R290.

This totally sucks. :sad: If I can’t find the iP4500, which of the printers I listed is the next best choice in quality and speed? I’m focusing on the CD/DVD printing quality as well as photo prints since I have my trusty laser printer to do my text.

This really sucks. :sad: :sad: :sad:

The IP4300 is fine. If you can get it, do.

Hahaha life can be horrible and wonderful. I found an MP610 while looking for a good deal for HP’s Mini 1001 netbook (for my girl), and after some careful thinking (like 5mins :D) I went back and paid cold cash for it. It wasn’t what I had in mind (don’t need the scanner that much but it’ll be fun to play with) but since it shares the guts of the iP4500 (and the ink tanks), I’m more than content in getting it.

Thanks for all your input guys. :bigsmile: I’m a proud new owner of a Canon PIXMA MP610! :smiley:

By the way, how long will the inks last if I’m just going to print DVDs? Will it last 50 discs (at least)? And does anyone have any tips as to how NOT to void the warranty when using compatible inks? I’m not going as far as installing a CIS for it, but I do plan to save money on inks, one way or another. What’s the best path to take - refills or compatible inks?

Too many questions I guess. :stuck_out_tongue: I just don’t want to kill my new toy through ignorance. :smiley:

You will love the MP610.
I refill my own…be careful with “compatibles” with an unknown history and specifically avoid “OA100” brand.

To properly refill you need a chip resetter:
http://hcpus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=2&zenid=2c8e7fcac7307ff05a772a264068412d
This reliable vendor is presently sold out of their Sudhaus resetters. Contact them for a restock date.

And quality, proven inks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbicolors-Refill-Ink-Pack-5C-MP-12-oz-w-Pigment-Canon_W0QQitemZ260348940463QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPrinter_Accessories?hash=item260348940463&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

For refill support:

Refill techniques:
Hobbicolors endorses the “American Method” and there is also the “German Method” which you can learn about at Nifty Stuff.

If you’re not a naturally crafty person, good with your hands, home refilling may not be for you.
It’s a very simple process, just requires a litle dexterity to keep the ink in the right places :bigsmile:

Thanks for the info, I’ll look into that the first thing I wake up. For now the printer will remain in the box until I have time to clear some desktop space and tinker with it. :slight_smile: It’s almost midnight where I’m located, I need my zzz’s. :smiley:

Can’t wait to play with it though! :wink: :bigsmile:

I have a few questions related to this thread…

I am looking at the Mp610 right now… I was reading the review earlier about the 4500 and relized it is tought to find. I did find the 4600 is on sale on Newegg right now, but then I realized that the 4600 IS NOT an All-in-One printer. I do need the scanner and copier function from time to time.

I really need to know, On Average, how many color disc prints do you get out of the 610 before refill is needed. I will be looking into home refilling, but am curious… 50 discs? 75? 100? 200? 400!!! A rough number would be great. I would be most likely using the premium print option listed i nthe Canon vs Epson review thread. How much smaller are the ink tanks in the 630? Also is this 630 we are tlaking about… is this the 620 in the US? and is this one also capable of printing on disks???

Also, anyone know any good deals on the 610 right now? Newegg has 129 :(. They do have the 4600 on sale…84.99 shipped… I also just found the Mp610 for 99.00 at Canon Website…anyone see any better deals anywhere?

CDan mentions a rough estimate of 50 full-face printed discs before the CLI-8 tanks run out, but that is still an estimate - nobody knows for sure. The 630 has the newer CLI-821 9mL color tanks as compared to the old CLI-8 tanks that holds 13mL, while the newer PGI-820 tanks also contain much less ink, 19mL as compared to the old PGI-5’s 27mL.

The 620 is the Wi-Fi enabled AIO, and also uses the newer ink tanks I guess. I don’t know if it supports CD/DVD printing since it doesn’t explicitly state so, although it might be able to after mods. (Don’t quote me on that though.)

On deals… US residents may be able to help you on that.

[QUOTE=evo69;2207990]CDan mentions a rough estimate of 50 full-face printed discs before the CLI-8 tanks run out, but that is still an estimate - nobody knows for sure. The 630 has the newer CLI-821 9mL color tanks as compared to the old CLI-8 tanks that holds 13mL, while the newer PGI-820 tanks also contain much less ink, 19mL as compared to the old PGI-5’s 27mL.

The 620 is the Wi-Fi enabled AIO, and also uses the newer ink tanks I guess. I don’t know if it supports CD/DVD printing since it doesn’t explicitly state so, although it might be able to after mods. (Don’t quote me on that though.)

On deals… US residents may be able to help you on that.[/QUOTE]

OK Thanks Man. I am going to read-up on the “Home Refill Options” because it looks like it would make printing MUCH CHEAPER.

THE BEST DEAL FOR a MP610 AS OF 1/28/09 in the US is 64.99 (not including shipping) from FRY’s.com (Sale ends 1/29/09)

[QUOTE=deptacon;2208022]

THE BEST DEAL FOR a MP610 AS OF 1/28/09 in the US is 64.99 (not including shipping) from FRY’s.com (Sale ends 1/29/09)[/QUOTE]

The ink alone is worth that much. Buy 2. :iagree:

[QUOTE=deptacon;2208022]
THE BEST DEAL FOR a MP610 AS OF 1/28/09 in the US is 64.99 (not including shipping) from FRY’s.com (Sale ends 1/29/09)[/QUOTE]
Frys has had some killer deals on these.
Save shipping and utilize in-store pickup if you live within range of a Frys store.
Be ready to make the pickup soon after the on-line purchase is *initiated if the item is in stock at your Frys. (watch your email)
An associate will place your item aside within 20 min of your request and keep it on hold for, I believe, 24 hrs.

*initiated, because you pay the invoice at the time of pickup.