Will I need a specific HDMI cable?

vbimport

Apparently I didn’t realize it but my JVC TV can recieve both Audio and video via an HDMI cable. I already own an HDMI cable but all my older units ( by that I mean Sat boxes) didn’t output audio via HDMI so I had analog connections set up on the TV for when I didn’t want to use the Amp.

I just bought a Pioneer DMP-BD55K Blu-Ray player and it outputs Digital vid and Audio via HDMI as well as digital audio via Coax, TOS and analog. I plan to use either Coax or TOS to connect to my amp but am wondering about audio to the TV. Anyway what I’m wondering is if I need a specific type of HDMI cable to carry both TV and audio from my new Blu-ray player or should my cable I have now be able to carry bot signals?

Yes you can use your HDMI cable to go from the Blu-ray player to the TV. It will carry the Audio and Video.

Connect the Coaxial or Tos will complete the loop.

When you want to just watch the TV with the Blu-ray player. You have that option because the sound and video are being supplied via the HDMI cable.

When you want to watch the TV with the Blu-ray player using the amp for the audio you now have that option because audio is being supplied via the Coaxial or Tos. The video will still be supplied via the HDMI. You might have to turn of the audio on the TV when you choose this option because in some cases there is a possibility that there could be a echo sound with the audio. This is caused by a time delay difference between the audio traveling via the HDMI vs the Coaxial or Tos.

:cool::cool:

The short answer is Not likely.

The long answer is … [B]it depends[/B]. About 2-3 years ago, they upgraded the standard for HDMI to double the bandwidth for higher resolutions, implement HDCP, and a few other things I didn’t feel were important enough to recall, or search for.
HDMI V1 carried full H 1080p at 60fps + 8 channels of uncompressed audio. Your TV is Full HD 1080p, plus maybe 3 channel audio.
Newer cables have better screening, insulation & proper slightly higher thicker copper cables to comply with higher frequency signalling.

HDMI specification only covers limits for the path/cable, and so a short, poor quality cable will comply, whereas only a high quality cables will comply for long lengths.

Short cables (<5m) should be fine.
Your current HDMI cable should be fine.

You may want to get a HDMI 1.3a certified cable that is of a higher gauge. Most low end cables are 28AWG.

Here’s a 24AWG that’s reasonably priced.

It’s interesting to note that Monoprice recommends these thicker cables when used with their HDMI 1.3b certified switches.

NOTE: 24AWG or higher cables HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for best performance. Some devices will require thicker gauge, category 2 cables to work with this switch. For runs up to 15ft, use 24AWG. For runs of 20ft or more, use 22AWG.

But in the end your cable may work fine.