Will I be dissapointed if I purchase a 50" Plasma 720P

vbimport

With the price of Plasmas being so affordable I have consideed purchasing a 50" instead of a 52" LCD. Would this be a mistake in your opinion?

IMO, you will be disappointed. I have a 46" LCD and can tell a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. Maybe the difference isn’t as obvious on plasma sets.

720p at 50" … urgh … yuck.

You can accept 720p resolution at 32", but anything bigger than 42" really needs to be 1080p.

Am I missing something?..The OP is asking for opinions on “LCD VS. Plasma @ 720p.
But have to agree, that size I would definitely [I]consider[/I] 1080p instead…
That said, I have an older 50” Zenith Plasma 720p, which still looks great ([I]to my eyes[/I]), if that helps/ means anything…shrugs:wink:
However, it’s hard to back, once you go 1080p…At least for me…:smiley:

The OP titled the thread referring to a 50" plasma 720p resolution being acceptable. Based on my experience with both resolutions on a 46" LCD leads me to say yes he will be disappointed. The larger the screen the more important it is to have the maximum resolution available.

Another factor to include is the distance from the TV and the content being displayed. A few months ago, I was watching TV with a friend who has a 42" plasma that is not even native 720P, never mind 1080P, i.e. 1024x768 native with a 16:9 aspect ratio. While watching a HD film with him on Blu-ray, I never even noticed the resolution until he talking about his TV being under 720P and sure enough I noticed the resolution when I walked up to it, but not while seated around 15 feet from it.

I have a 720P native projector which shows an 80" picture and while the pixels are very obvious if I show writing (e.g. Windows desktop) or a sharp still image, the picture still looks pretty impressive when showing HD video and I’ve already had a few visitors who were sure it was 1080P while showing a HD programme until I showed them the spec. :wink:

As for Plasma vs. LCD, it depends a lot on the technology used in the TV, the panel, etc. It would be worth mentioning which Plasma and LCD TVs you were looking at, as one TV can perform very different to another, even if both have the same display resolution.

[QUOTE=Seán;2547311]Another factor to include is the distance from the TV and the content being displayed. A few months ago, I was watching TV with a friend who has a 42" plasma that is not even native 720P, never mind 1080P, i.e. 1024x768 native with a 16:9 aspect ratio. While watching a HD film with him on Blu-ray, I never even noticed the resolution until he talking about his TV being under 720P and sure enough I noticed the resolution when I walked up to it, but not while seated around 15 feet from it.

I have a 720P native projector which shows an 80" picture and while the pixels are very obvious if I show writing (e.g. Windows desktop) or a sharp still image, the picture still looks pretty impressive when showing HD video and I’ve already had a few visitors who were sure it was 1080P while showing a HD programme until I showed them the spec. :wink:

As for Plasma vs. LCD, it depends a lot on the technology used in the TV, the panel, etc. It would be worth mentioning which Plasma and LCD TVs you were looking at, as one TV can perform very different to another, even if both have the same display resolution.[/QUOTE]
Gee, you guys must have huge houses if the TV is 4+m from the Lounge.

As far as using a 720p in that size … because you can’t afford the difference for a 1080p TV, or are unwilling to drop the size to a 46" or for whatever reason …
Generally a 52" 720p LCD will be pixellated using 720p, the 50" plasma would be the better choice @ 720p …

In regards to projectors … a few months ago, I was dragged by my wife (and her friend) to watch Prince of Persia at a Cinema with lots of smaller projection rooms (less than 60 people in any room), which was using a 720p projector on a 4m wide screen … we were sitting about 6-8 metres from the screen and I was watching the pixels squiggle across the screen for the whole movie …
My wife and her friend didn’t notice it, but it drove me nuts … well more crazy than usual anyway.
I’d suspect that newer projectors do a much better job of smoothing those pixels … but … urgh … I found it extremely d

If the OP is playing low quality Divx’s, this will be a major difference between different TV manufacturers & models.

If he’s just watching bluray, he might not find much difference - although I can discern a massive difference, and other peoples TV’s drive me up the wall because they’re obviously blind.

istracting.

At the end of the day, the OP needs to figure out what he uses his TV for most or intends to use it for most, and then take that with him and test each TV he is considering.

[QUOTE=gailu;2547085]With the price of Plasmas being so affordable I have consideed purchasing a 50" instead of a 52" LCD. Would this be a mistake in your opinion?[/QUOTE]

I would advise you to form your own opinion by watching a whole bunch of tv screens, inluding, but not limited to: plasma, lcd, bravia, full hd, 720p, lots of hdmi, surround sound, etc.

[QUOTE=debro;2547323]In regards to projectors … a few months ago, I was dragged by my wife (and her friend) to watch Prince of Persia at a Cinema with lots of smaller projection rooms (less than 60 people in any room), which was using a 720p projector on a 4m wide screen … we were sitting about 6-8 metres from the screen and I was watching the pixels squiggle across the screen for the whole movie …
My wife and her friend didn’t notice it, but it drove me nuts … well more crazy than usual anyway.
I’d suspect that newer projectors do a much better job of smoothing those pixels … but … urgh … I found it extremely d[/QUOTE]

I forgot about some projectors having an exaggerated pixel problem, as it has been a while since I got mine. Some basic LCD projectors suffer from a screen-door effect, some to the point where the pixels are clearly visible regardless of what is shown, including a full screen solid white image. As for DLP projectors, they are a real problem for me. I had a lend of one to try out and with any brisk motion in the video, I would see the picture break up into its primary red-green-blue colours as my eyes follow the motion.

I don’t know if this is still the case now, but in the past when there use to be more plasma TVs in the shops, I often found their reds to show up rather orangey, especially when compared side by side with LCDs and traditional tube TVs (while still sold). So if this TV is on sale as a clearance of old stock and the OP can see it in operation against the LCD, compare the reds in the picture.

[QUOTE=gailu;2547085]With the price of Plasmas being so affordable I have consideed purchasing a 50" instead of a 52" LCD. Would this be a mistake in your opinion?[/QUOTE]

You may notice a brighter screen on the plasma - for a while. The plasma technology has never been able to stop the degradation of the screen with age, the brightness goes away slowly - albeit more quickly than with newer types like LCD and LED.

BURN IN is also a serious problem, and you may be really upset at the cost of the new screen you will need relatively soon. I have worked on machines with inset plasma displays and the service life of those was very short.

Service life is a real problem. The viewing difference between the 50 and the 52 is going to be almost nil, but a cheaper screen now may translate into a MAJOR pain in the neck and expensive replacement of the screen itself. Remember the Fram commercials that ran, “Pay me now, or pay me later!” ? Pay a little more now so you will have a longer service life, and less future expense.

In short, from a service and service life viewpoint STAY AWAY FROM PLASMA!,

(STAY AWAY FROM PLASMA!, ) Agree 100% I had a plasma 52" and went to LCD on a 52" Sharp and there was a big difference

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2547502](STAY AWAY FROM PLASMA!, ) Agree 100% I had a plasma 52" and went to LCD on a 52" Sharp and there was a big difference[/QUOTE]

Not only that but plasma are going out the way of CRT and being replaced by LCD and LED LCD that are coming out. Plasma may be still good but that technology is no longer what the manufacture are producing now.