Will DVR kill the DVD?

I just posted the article Will DVR kill the DVD?.

According to a news published at Ars Technica, DVD could face a difficult period because of digital video recorders (DVR). Based on a report it seems that 31 percent of DVR owners said that they are…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13637-Will-DVR-kill-the-DVD.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13637-Will-DVR-kill-the-DVD.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well if they could allow pay per view on demand when DVD’s are released at the same time and allow use of the USB connections to attach more external hard drives when needed then I can see this happening. Until then I’ll stick to DVD’s.

These disruptive DVRs are damaging the movie industry’s business model (selling DVDs) and must be contrained with comprehensive DRM. Normal programs will be automatically deleted after a week and premium content from us, such as movies, after 1 or 2 days. That should fix it. Remember, this is about making Big Media as much money as possible, not making life easier for the common consumer. They are simply there to give us as much money as possible for whatever crap we feed them. Don’t ever forget that.

I have a DVR and I love it, but it will never replace DVDs for me for several reasons: - I want to have my movies & TV shows on a physical medium that I can’t accidentally erase. - I don’t want to have to fast forward through commericals; I don’t want them there at all. - I don’t want the TV station’s watermark on my image. - I want the extra features that DVDs can provide. - There’s no hard drive large enough to hold every movie and TV series that I want to own. - Premium cable stations have a crappy lineup of theatrical films. The films I want on DVD rarely show up on cable, especially the classics. As a matter of fact, because my DVR has enabled me to record far more programming (and more easily) than I ever could with my VHS, it’s created more interests for me that have influenced my DVD purchases. For example, I’ve recorded all 6 episodes of ‘The Sarah Silverman Program’ after recording it on a whim once and instantly became a fan. When the DVD comes out, I’m buying it and will delete the episodes on my DVR to make space for more programming.

Pretty neat and you have allot of valid points that 99% of users will agree but then again the funny thing is the DRM crap mentioned the 99% of the users are wanting to see BluRay win and for what? More space that’s what, do they forget to remember that BluRay is bloated with DRM as well?

do they forget to remember that BluRay is bloated with DRM as well? HD DVD also has DRM, just less of it! DRM can theoretically be added to HD DVD later via firmware update if they want. If you don’t do the update, you can’t watch new movies. My burned blu-ray discs won’t have DRM! So I’ll get all that capacity without the DRM garbage. Not everyone wants to buy these things just to watch movies. I’m looking soley at a hard drive backup and archival system.

Considering the price/capacity aspect of using BD or HD-DVD as backup/archival, the best option is buying another hard drive, archiving to it, then storing it somewhere safe - it’ll last longer. :wink:

I have direct TV and if they were to enable the USB Ports to use external HDDs then that would be best for the buck.

“do they forget to remember that BluRay is bloated with DRM as well?” And Do you know that just about every copy protection ever conceived has been broken? The only protection that seems to work is water marking, but most people hate it cause it does effect the quality of the recording.

Well there isn’t any watermarking on my DVR.

Will the DVR kill the DVD? NOPE! GPS, Movies, OS backups, photo backups, etc. :B
This message was edited at: 28-08-2007 02:29

“Posted by applegodel8 on Monday 27 August 2007 22:47 “do they forget to remember that BluRay is bloated with DRM as well?” And Do you know that just about every copy protection ever conceived has been broken? .” Not if the studios via BD+ have the ability to brick your Blu-ray player if you do…

All copy protections, even the hardware based types with dongles and keys, have in time been broken. Every single one. That is why they are of no value in preventing piracy. Real pirates, the folks who dupe and distribute and make money and thereby take money out of the pockets of the producers, those pirates always find ways to break protections. Even BD+ will be circumvented. All the various DRMs do is annoy legit users and prevent them from protecting their investments by making backups. A little additional money flows in as a result of customers having to replace damaged goods, but no reduction in real piracy occurs. In fact, I’d bet that in addition to the vast sums wasted on DRM by producers they actually lose some business because potential customers that in the past would have been exposed to products through “piracy” and then purchased them legit cannot do so easily any more. As for the original question, will DVR kill the DVD? Not a chance. Despite Microsoft’s hope of a media-less distribution system where everything is on demand and broadband downloaded, people just like having something to show for their purchases. And people don’t trust big business to manage their entertainment, so the potential DRM headaches, and the threats of having auto deleting content and forced commercial viewing are likely to scare enough users away that MS and other providers with the same greedy dreams will be left holding the bag. Hopefully anyway. So whether it’s a DVD, BD, or HD disc, so form of physical media is likely to survive long into the future. :slight_smile:

Hmm, ever thought that the HDD might go out in a few years and then you are up-the-creek-without-a-paddle with all of your precious programs gone? No, I would rather stick with DVD. The only thing that could threaten DVD is these new HD media formats, which doesn’t look like they are much of a threat right at the moment.

Hmm, ever thought that the HDD might go out in a few years and then you are up-the-creek-without-a-paddle with all of your precious programs gone? No, I would rather stick with DVD. The only thing that could threaten DVD is these new HD media formats, which doesn’t look like they are much of a threat right at the moment.

I think people like collecting… and dvd still offers 5.1 and is superior to digital satellite/cable. I think dvd sales will go down just because were reaching a point where people have built up their collections and only need to add new movies… thats why they like to pump up new formats so we repurchase what we have. VCR’s didn’t really impact VHS rentals… and taping television… didn’t impact rentals… new technology doing pretty much the same thing.

“I don’t want to have to fast forward through commericals; I don’t want them there at all.” DVDs have the far worse “prohibited user operation”. How many times do I really need to see the FBI warning? How many times do I need to see some stupid studio logo?