Will DVDFab Platinum Copy Directly From Drive to Drive?

Considering getting a second DVD writer if the software will copy directly from one drive to the other without reading the whole image first.

Anybody tried it?

Hi scatcher and welcome to the DVDFab section, sorry the program will not copy from one DVD drive to another DVD drive if that is your question it will copy to the hard drive first then transfer to the other DVD drive.

Hello, scatcher. Well, I’ve done that regularly, but DVDfab copied the film into a temp folder on the HD, and then burned it onto a blank dvd already in place in the second burner.
What I mean is: F: is my source drive, and G: my destination drive. DVDfab takes care of the rest. Hope that’s of some use to you.
Welcome to the group, and I’ll see you around. Jim. :slight_smile:

1.) Open DVDFab Platinum
2.) Put the DVD movie you are going to make a backup copy of into your DVD drive, the movie title will appear in the source drop down window
3.) In the target drop down window chose the location of your DVD Writer that will be used to do the burning of the disc
4.) At the bottom of the screen choose the size of the blank medics disc you will be using for the backup in the drop down window with the word Quality next to it, DVD5=compression and DVD9=no compression
5.) Depending on if you have one or two DVD Writers hooked to your computer,
a.) If you only have one DVD Writer connected to your computer then you will have to wait until the program has finished the copying process to your hard drive and then you will be asked to insert a blank media disc into the drive,
[B]b.) If you have two DVD Writers connected to your computer put in the original disc into one of the DVD drives(making sure this drive is selected as the Source),
And put a blank media disc into your other DVD drive(making sure this drive is selected as the Target),
After the program reads and copies the movie from the DVD Drive that contains the original DVD disc the program will then start the burning process to the DVD Drive containing the blank media disc[/B]6.) Click the start button at the lower right corner to start the process

Thank you for the replies.

So really I’d be saving myself a disc swap. Now I just have to ask myself if I’m really that lazy.

Don’t know about you BUT I am :bigsmile:

yeah would be nice.

just to add doing it this way dvdfab will empty and clean the harddisk using a temp folder for you if you are only backing up your fave films. basically all that is left on your hard drive is a log file in your dvdfab folder. other people transfer the disc onto their drives so they can edit but i have found this can clog your harddrive if all you want is to backup your dvds.

Fab is configured to image to the hdd, temporarily or otherwise, period.
On the fly copying has been requested and Portmac’s (VSO guru) response was that this will make Fab a “coaster creator”… :eek:

There are a variety of reasons ppl choose to keep the files on their hdd(s). Some want to make certain that the appropriate files copied correctly and confirm playback before burning, particularly if it’s been a problem movie.
In addition, Fab has had some problems choosing “main movie” on some recent flicks. Usually, it’s the longest title, but of some these titles have had director’s comments/narratives on them and screwed up the bkups. Fengtao is working on this… :wink:

Some ppl. (esp. those with multiple hdds… :wink: ) just want to experiment a bit and keep the files for this purpose. There’s also the conversions from MPEG-2 for Ipods, etc.

You can keep the files intact on the hdd several ways: untick “delete temporary files when done”, don’t click “Finish” when the process has completed. You can also choose your hdd as the target. With any of these choices, you’ll have to go back and delete the files yourself.

I didn’t buy a second drive because I was lazy, I bought it so I could burn DL DVD’s. It is a Sony USB unit - got it on sale ay Best Buy for $100…

Kirk

Hi scatcher and welcome to Fab Forum. I do have two DVD burners connected to my PC and you know what ? I almost never use both for one movie as you are talking about. If Fab had the on the fly ability, I probably would. But until then, save your money. My Nero has this function for backing up music CD’s and it’s great. No coasters as of yet. Who knows, maybe Fengtao will put it in there soon. ~ Mike

I have 2 dvd burners and use both regularly. Both are lightscribe. I can make a label in one while I’m buring a movie/project in the other. I do that quite often.

I just started using both of my DVD drives and find it quite nice. Just set and forget.

No coming back to check to see if the copy process is complete and than loading the blank and starting the burn process. For ease of use this program is tits up.

Yup, in the words of Ron Popeil my favorite quote for Fab,
"…Set it, and forget it!..". :clap: :cool:

“How much would you pay”…
“But wait, there’s more!”
“Now how much would you pay?”
:bigsmile:

I love 2 drives. I just wait for the beep and I know I can start the next one.

Hey I just had a great pork roast dinner off my Ron Popeil rotisserie! They work great.

Funny though in the instruction booklet it says something like this, "While in advertising this product we say “Set it and forget about it…’ We do NOT want you to forget about it. Pay attention to the cooking so you don’t burn down your house…”

Now that is OFF subject!

Jim

Hahahaha
They do work great!..and I can remember that Christmas morning, opening my roissiere and I was so disappointed with that little qualifier… :Z
Reminiscent of most legal contracts…
“What the big print giveth, the small print taketh away”… :bigsmile:

Thankfully, there’s not much danger of burning the house down with Fab.
With 2+ drives, it really is,

“Set It and Forget It”