Will CD-DVD use S-ATA?

P-ATA 2 with 33MB/s is TOO enough ,but Will they convert to S-ATA in future ??? :confused: :confused: (150MB/s is USELESS,but what about air flow :smiley:

For the near future : I don’t think so… Perhaps there will be standard S-ATA -> ATA converters to plug your “old” IDE devices on your built-in S-ATA connection.

For the far future : If S-ATA will be the standard almost every motherboard manufacturer , you can bet your ass all IDE devices will be standard S-ATA.

there will be serial ata cdrom/dvdrom/dvdwriter/cdwriter devices.
but you wont notice any difference except the smaller cable.
performance will be the same because you will never use the full bandwidth of the serial ata or p ata with cdrom devices.

adapters are already avalible, and most manufacturers will just end up integrating an adapter into the back of the drive. but that wont happen until market penetration gets pretty high so the cost of their drive doesnt go up too much.

and it might be a mute point anyhow if adoption of serial ata is so slow that cdrom drives are uncommon by that time.

150MB/s is not that useless if you are going to use more than two or three P-ATA/S-ATA devices. Most PCs these days are preinstalled with at least one HDD and one ODD. DVD 20x is 27.6MB/s and Blu-ray 8x is 36MB/s. The bandwidth is shared among all devices connected to each controller. As one USB 2.0 controller is not only meant for USB mice and USB ADSL but also for USB 2.0 memory and USB 2.0 DVD writers. Does the fact many current USB devices use less than 480Mbps mean there is no need for faster USB? (What happened to IEEE 1394b that was supposed to provide 800Mbps and 1600Mbps?)

I’d also like to see 0.1KG Serial ATA drives for 100GB multi-layer optical discs that are smaller than MiniDisc and DataPlay.

yeah, the odd thing that I have noticed is that the number of motherboards that support sata is far higher than the number of hard drives that support it. in fact, newegg.com doesn’t even have any sata drives by seagate, maxtor, or wd. kind of a rip at this point.

1. Motherboard manufacturers each release and mass produce more number of motherboard product models than HDD manufacturers. (There are only Seagate, WD, IBM, Samsung, Fujitsu, Maxtor, Toshiba, and no more. Seagate releases only a few major HDD product families for IDE and SCSI sectors.)

2. Most motherboard manufacturers are headquartered in Taiwan and they usually try hard to implement new features rapidly in order to stay very competitive and attract customers in both OEM and retail markets. How much would a Serial ATA 150 controller chip and a Serial ATA cable cost? They have done it with USB 2.0, IEEE 1394a, 6-channel audio, 10/100Mbps LAN, Gigabit LAN, wireless LAN, Bluetooth, additional 2-channel IDE with or without RAID, and now Serial ATA. So some such featured motherboards could cost about $50 in OEM pricing (including Serial ATA).

3. One chip solution is not commercially available yet. The first will be probably either from VIA, SiS, or Intel (ICH5). Motherboards with chipsets integrated with Serial ATA directly will cost less to produce in volume than motherboards with descrete Serial ATA chipsets (onboard but not integrated into south bridge chips).

:smiley: Sure!!! The Mboard manufacturer wanna save cost!!! They will not put both S-ATA & IDE controller into a mboard when S-ATA become pop(nowadays they put in both chips bcoz wanna to make S-ATA pop)!!! So S-ATA will become the standart interface and cdrom/dvd/cdrw sure will be converted to s-ata.

I read an article about Serial ATA HDD (Seagate’s) on KBench.com in Decembe 2002. The author is one of the best popular tech writers in South Korea. He mentioned some device to allow one Serial ATA channel to be shared among three or four Serial ATA devices like a co-axial cable splitter does. I don’t know whether there are already such devices or how much they would cost.