Will burning at a faster speed than the media's rated speed cause worse quality?

vbimport

I just got my NEC-2500a and was wondering if I burned my RICOHJPNR01 DVD+Rs at 6x instead of the rated 4x, will it result in worse quality compared to burning at 4x?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by soujir0u
[B]I just got my NEC-2500a and was wondering if I burned my RICOHJPNR01 DVD+Rs at 6x instead of the rated 4x, will it result in worse quality compared to burning at 4x?

Thanks in advance. [/B]

probably somewhat but it will be such a small amount that your playback decvice will never know. look at this thread for burning your DVDRs at 8x. Excellent results even at 8x. now this is with using a hacked firmware i cannot say how good it will be using stock.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=580188#post580188

I had problems burning Ricoh at 6x. THe problem seems to happen when the speed jumps from 4x to 6x. Haven’'t had problems burning at 4x. Mine could be a bad batch of disks

I just finished burning it at 6x with Nero, and verification finished successfully. I guess the burn was ok?

The movie files I burned seem to play ok though, but I didn’t play through the whole thing.

EDIT: Does Herrie’s firmware have better write quality than the stock one?

6X burns work flawlessly on RICOHJPNR01.

Herries’ firmware ups the available write speed to 8X on this media. However, I have had a few large error spikes near the end of some of my discs when burning at 8X.
I recommend 6X for these discs:)

Originally posted by soujir0u
[B]I just finished burning it at 6x with Nero, and verification finished successfully. I guess the burn was ok?

The movie files I burned seem to play ok though, but I didn’t play through the whole thing.

EDIT: Does Herrie’s firmware have better write quality than the stock one? [/B]

i think his firmware uses the best write strategy for those disks thats why you see such excellent results from the burn i showed above at 8x. but remember using non stock firmware will void your warrenty.

Originally posted by Jamos
i think his firmware uses the best write strategy for those disks thats why you see such excellent results from the burn i showed above at 8x. but remember using non stock firmware will void your warrenty.

Oh well, I don’t have any warranty anyway. My drive’s an OEM I bought from eBay. :stuck_out_tongue:

RICOHJPNR01. Pink top mountain view not grade A media. Great @6x not so good @8x. Only had 2 Arita branded to test @8x they were fine.

Originally posted by wesociety
[B]6X burns work flawlessly on RICOHJPNR01.

Herries’ firmware ups the available write speed to 8X on this media. However, I have had a few large error spikes near the end of some of my discs when burning at 8X.
I recommend 6X for these discs:) [/B]

Spikes should be ignored for the most part. try cleaning off the disc and running the scan again. ive burned 5 of mine at 8x so far all consistent with the results above. Ive never heard of these disks varying too much in quality, but i suppose it can be possible with some companies probably buying the bulk leftovers from production runs.

mine were sold as TDK DVD+R 4x in 100 spindle at bestbuy.

Originally posted by Jamos
Spikes should be ignored for the most part…

I know how to read a Kprobe scan buddy :wink:
This scan shows what I meant by “spiking”

I’d rather burn at 6X to get superior results across the entire disc.