Will any dvd convert pal to ntsc

i have a dvd in pal foramt region2 and i need to make it ntsc region1 will anydvd take care of this for me?If so what do i need my settings at on ANYDVD.Thanks :confused:

No anydvd won’t do it there is software that will but I heard the grade of the convert was really bad though.

Are you sure your DVD player won’t play PAL movies? My Philips DVP642 plays backups of PAL movies that are region free without issue. Do you know what model DVD player you have? You can check on videohelp.com to see if it supports PAL.

Here’s the link. Just look for your player note you must know your model to get an exact of what it will do.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

my dvd playre is a sony dvp-ns90v.the dvd palyer comes up in the listing but dont see anywhere about it supporting pal or ntsc. :sad:

Here’s the users manual but my findings say no it won’t.

ftp://extra.abtelectronics.com/PDF_Files/DVPNS90V_om.pdf

Here’s the info on the player as well.

Sony HDMI/SA-CD Single Disc DVD Player, Model DVPNS90V

Superior technology from a single disc DVD player. Sony’s DVP-NS90V single disc DVD player packs three impressive technologies that enhance your movie and music experience. Sony’s Precision Driveâ„¢ 3 System feature corrects warped disc’s response for fewer image errors by adjusting the lens rather than the entire optical block for more accurate source playback. Other features such as the Precision Cinema Progressiveâ„¢ Technology detect image changes at the pixel level instead of at the scan line level like most traditional DVD players do. By measuring algorithms, the DVP-NS90V adjusts for pixel behavior resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are virtually free from motion artifacts. The DVP-NS90V also offers MP3 Playback1, when using MP3 encoded discs, so you can select the perfect music folder to round out your day.

Features:

Precision Driveâ„¢ 3 System
Precision Cinema Progressiveâ„¢ Technology
720p/1080i Upscaling of Video and delivery through HDMIâ„¢2 Connection
DVD-RW (Video Mode/VR mode w/CPRM) DVD-R/DVD+RW/DVD+R Playback3
12 Bit Video DAC with 108Mhz processing
SA-CD Playback
MP3 Playback1 (CD-R.RW, DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW)
JPEG (CD-R/RW, DVD+RW/+R/-R/-RW, Kodak)4
CD (CD/CD-R/CD-RW)/VCR/SVCD5
A/V Sync Allows for the alignment of the audio track to match the video - Necessary for some newer televisions that have video buffers or delays.
192 kHz 24 Bit Digital to Analog Converter
Dolby® Digital and dts® through Coaxial and 5.1 Analog
Quick Set-Up
Custom Parental Control- 40 Discs
Remote Control with Limited TV Control Compatible with many but not all Major Brands
Child Lock (Tray Lock)
DVD/CD Text
Multi-Disc Resume- 6 Discs
TV Virtual Surround - 5 Surround Modes
Custom Picture Mode
Title and Chapter Viewer
Advanced SmoothScanâ„¢ and SmoothSlow modes
Instant Replay and Instant Search
Full 3-2 Reverse Conversion
Fast Play with Audio
Slow Play with Audio
Video Equalizer
Background Graphics
Variable Coefficient Filter
FL Off gives you the ability to turn off the front display.
Separate Speaker Settings
Precision Driveâ„¢ 3 System
Past generations were only able to compensate for warped discs by moving the entire optical block, which took more time and limited the amount of correction possible. Sony’s new Precision Driveâ„¢ 3 system simplifies the process by moving the lens-instead of the entire optical block-for faster and more accurate error correction.
Precision Cinema Progressiveâ„¢ Technology
Other DVD players detect image changes at the scan line level-Sony’s Precision Cinema Progressive (PCP) system detects them at the pixel level. The picture is more faithful to the source-whether film or video-because separate, optimized algorithms are used to handle the differing pixel behavior. Separate algorithms are also used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are virtually free from motion artifacts.
MP3 Playback1
Playing MP3 Music on aSony® DVD player is easy. Just insert an MP3 encoded disc and press MENU. A blue screen pops up to display your folders. Scroll down the list using the remote or front panel cursor control to select the folder you want. The green files screen pops up to show the files in the selected folder. Select the file you want to hear and you’re done. Finding music couldn’t be easier.
Specifications:

Audio

D/A Conversion: 192kHz/24bit
Sound Mode: Dolby® Digital and dts® audio
Inputs and Outputs

HDMIâ„¢ Connection Output(s): x1 (Rear)Video
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Output(s): x1 (Rear)
S-Video Output(s): x1 (Rear)
Composite Video Output(s): x1 (Rear)
Coaxial Audio Digital Output(s): x1 (Rear)
Optical Audio Output(s): x1 (Rear)
RCA Audio Output(s): x1 (Rear)
Multi-Channel Output(s): x1 (Rear 5.1 Audio
Control-S Input(s): x1 (Rear)
Power

Power Requirements: AC120V, 60 Hz
Video

DAC (D/A Converter): 12bit/108MHz Video DAC
Color

Silver
Approximate Weight:

Unit: 4 lbs 10 oz
Shipping: 10 lbs
Approximate Dimensions:

Width: 17"
Height: 2-1/6"
Depth: 9-1/3"

Box Contents:

DVD Player
Instruction Manual
Remote Control (RMT-D180A)
AV Cable
AA Battery x 2
Download Files (.pdf):

Spec Sheet
Owners Manual
Sony CD/DVD Warranty
Warranty Information:

Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer):
Labor: For a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase, if this Product is determined to be defective, Sony will repair or replace the Product, at its option, at no charge, or pay the labor charges to any Sony authorized service facility. After the Warranty Period, you must pay for all labor charges.
Parts: In addition, Sony will supply, at no charge, new or rebuilt replacements in exchange for defective parts for a period of one (1) year. After the warranty period, you must pay for all parts costs.
Accessories: Parts and labor for all accessories are for one (1) year.
4 Year Extended Service Warranty: Click here for details
Footnotes:

MP3 Playback - Playback may not be compatible with all discs, depending on recording conditions.
HDMI - HDMI is a trademark of HDMI Licensing LLC.
DVD+RW/+R, DVD-RW/-R and CD-R/RW - DVD+RW/+R, DVD-RW/-R and CD-R/RW playback may not be compatible with all discs, depending on recording conditions.
JPEG Playback with Slide Show - Playback may not be compatible with all discs, depending on recording conditions.
CD-R/RW Playback - CD-R/RW playback may not be compatible with all discs, depending on recording conditions.

thanks i guess i will try to use nero vision to try to covert it seems from what i read that is the easyiest way. :bow:

It’s a Sony. Of course it won’t do PAL. Piece of junk. :slight_smile: (I’m a sony owner so I can get away with that comment. lol) Even my Xbox will play PAL! But the PS2 or my stand alone dvd player? Not a chance. DVD Santa is something you should check out.

Nero Recode can turn movies from PAL to NTSC. it can also have different compression levels for main movie and extras.

Any idea what the quality is like when converting from NTSC to PAL? I don’t need to do this myself but I’m curious nonetheless.

im not sure for NTSC->PAL. but ive changed several movies from PAL to NTSC without much discernable difference on my monitor.

Nero Vision also can convert movies to PAL or NTSC. instead of only being able to import a DVD you can also import a movie file. the problem is that it imports the entire dvd the same way as a movie file. you cant really say that you want only the main movie or only extras, etc. like you can with nero Recode.

That’s interesting. I didn’t know Recode would do that. I’ll have to check that out sometime. I just got some DVD’s from the UK last weekend (stupid BBC America making us wait an entire YEAR for season 2!! Screw that!) and I simply copied them straight onto DVD+R DL’s so that my xbox can play them. Works great, but, my Sony obviously won’t touch them. Converting them to NTSC if it was that easy wouldn’t be a bad thing. I’ve heard of using DVD Santa before but I don’t have any experience with it. Recode would likely be quite easy to use.

It won’t. Nero Vision Express should do it, but I have no idea about the quality and how well it does the framerate conversion (25fps to 23.97 fps for progressive or 25fps to 29.98 for interlaced material).
Do yourself the vavour, get a media PC for watching DVDs. Together with ReClock you can even reverse the 4% PAL-Speedup and enjoy the higher vertical resolution of PAL.

:o oops… i just looked and nero recode only does the different compression rates for main movie and the special features (changable). i must have used nero vision when i changed the movies.

i have changed things from PAL to NTSC without loss of quality though. ive also changed from MPEG-4 to NTSC with the same results. it just takes [B]forever[/B].

I have two media pc’s actually but I was unaware of ReClock. I’ll have to check that out. Thanks! And I like being able to watch them on the xbox and xbox 360 just for convenience. I need to better configure the media pc in the living room to make it slightly easier to use. Then I’d probably use it all the time.

I don’t use recode very much but when you said that it did PAL->NTSC conversion I was intrigued cause I don’t remember seeing that feature before. Now I know why. LOL :slight_smile: I’ll just stick to keeping them in PAL format in my case. I have enough player support to make it work for me. But those that want to do actual conversions I think DVD Santa will actually do it. Although, NONE of the methods I’ve ever seen produce what I’d call “great” quality conversions.

FWIW, I have 3 differnet models of JVC standalone players (from 3 differnt years) and all 3 will play PAL discs as long as you are outputting to a ntsc TV. I was nor aware of this either and had a stack of PAL discs gathering dust. I thought a player had to be made special to play both formats and said so on the box. Duhhhhh. Anyway, it seems most all JVCs play PAl as well and I only paid $50 to $85 for the 3 I have and they have all options. Not bad and no conversion to worry about.

Off Topic: Of course not. The biggest problem is the framerate conversion. You will likely see stuttering effects (but people used to NTSC may be more used to this, because 3:2 pulldown reconstruction will always cause some micro-stuttering" ).
BTW, if you use a HTPC and have a display which supports vertical refresh rate of 48 or 72 Hz, you can watch NTSC DVDs without “micro-stuttering”. Use ReClock to match the player speed to the refresh rate of the graphics card. Try it. But be warned, you might get addicted to it. :wink:
Using ReClock you can do the same with PAL movies, reversing the 4% speedup. (Without ReClock the display should have a vertical refresh rate of 50 or 75 for PAL).

I’ve tried it many different ways and while doing the conversion “by hand” and reencoding it is “acceptable”, I have to agree that it’s problematic at best. But then, why go through all the trouble if you can just:

Nice. :slight_smile: I have NTSC equipment so I’d be going PAL->NTSC but that sounds really kuel. I’ll definitely check that out this weekend. I don’t get a LOT of stuff from the UK, but, once in a while there are things available over there that we can’t get here in the US. Things like old US tv shows for crying out loud! What’s up with that? Uh, anyway, thanks for the tip on that. I have to see about getting my remote set up again to make it easier to operate the media pc. My wife won’t use it unless it’s ultra simple to operate. I don’t blame her. Maybe one day soon I can disconnect the Sony DVD player once and for all. That’d be nice!!!

I have bought PAL format dvd’s before and burned them. AnyDvd should get rid of the Region Coding. Just make sure Anydvd is running before putting in dvd otherwise your computer may not read it… :confused: Check all your settings and make sure you have Region Free box checked. Just burn it as you usually would do and it will play in your dvd player. You can buy Dvd’s from all other the world, burn em and bravo… :clap: Region Free Movies.