Will access point connect non-WiFi device to WLAN?

vbimport

I am not that knowledgeable on network stuff…and my question may have been asked before, but I could not find it.

I have a Philips Aurea LCD-TV 42PFL9903H, which has a DLNA PC Network connection. Unfortunately, this TV does not come with a WiFi connection and the USB dongle from Philips is not compatible with this TV. I do not want to lay a cable in my living room to connect to my router (Fritz!box Fon WLAN 7170 Annex A.

As I might want to connect to NET TV or access media files on my PC (also connected to this router), I was thinking about a wireless solution. Would an access point (wireless connection to router and cable to PC) work?

Since it is only for TV and not high performance network, I was thinking about this one:

D-Link Wireless Access Point

Thanks all for your suggestions!

I think the bridge functions may cover it.

If that device is on the expensive side, then maybe look at something which can be switched to DD-WRT, wuch as a WRT54G (Linux model).

Alternatively, if the base router supports WDS, then one of these
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169923
(no idea what postage would be, if they do non-UK), can make a very cheap WDS client bridge - the reviews are full of “interesting” connection arrangements.

Thanks for your suggestion, will keep that in mind.

Have bought SiteCom PowerPlug 200 system, but somehow my computer cannot find the devices (sometimes only briefly, but no network connection…could be my network settings)… A new challenge for the holidays :wink:

Indeed Tax, if you have a spare 220V socket in the vicinity of your television, why not just use one of those “ethernet over 220volt” thingies?. Can give you more reliability than a wifi connection and it does not require you to set up a whole lot of technical mumbo jumbo :slight_smile:

Just plug it in and connect it via your router. This way it will give your TV network an ip adress it can use to surf the internets. Your computer can then find that ip adress and do the rest.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2565812]Indeed Tax, if you have a spare 220V socket in the vicinity of your television, why not just use one of those “ethernet over 220volt” thingies?. Can give you more reliability than a wifi connection and it does not require you to set up a whole lot of technical mumbo jumbo :slight_smile:

Just plug it in and connect it via your router. This way it will give your TV network an ip adress it can use to surf the internets. Your computer can then find that ip adress and do the rest.[/QUOTE]

I have hooked up the Sitecom Homeplug 200.
However, when I use the Sitecom utility the Homeplugs will not show. There are three lights on each plug, the red light is constantly on and the yellow light at the other end of the three is flickering. As I understand it, this means they can find each other, but somehow they are not granted an IP and they do not have access to the network.

I already contacted the Sitecom helpdesk and they advised me to push the reset button for 5 seconds on each Homeplug and then the Secure button on each homeplug between 1 and 3 seconds. Unfortunately, I only saw one Homeplug in the Sitecom utility for a few seconds, but after that all is gone again.

In the network utility I may have screwed up my network settings and renamed all network devices to the same name…

I would love for this to work, but this (networks) is not my thing…so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update:
I have tried the following combinations (first 4 options with both homeplugs to same socket box):

• Both Homeplugs connected to my Linksys WRT610
  • One homeplug connected to Linksys router and other homeplug connected to PC
  • Both homeplugs connected to PC (2 network plugs on motherboard)
  • One homeplug connected to modem/router (Fritz!box) and other homeplug connected to PC
  • One homeplug connected to Linksys router and other homeplug connected to TV in other room

In each combination I followed the reset/secure protocol.
I received “No valid IP configuration” when I did a network scan/detection in Windows7 (Home Premium 64 bit).

Hmm, tough one, since if the ip settings are messed, then everything can happen :slight_smile: Those homeplugs also do not like power dividers and some bad ones do not work in seperate power groups.

I think this is a Double-DHCP problem. Your linksys is a dhcp server and your Fritz!Box is as well.

First off all i would recommend bringing all the homeplugs back to its factory default settings. Make sure your Fritz!Box accepts new DHCP connections from all kind of devices. (= default setting). Remove the computer names in the Fritz!Box dhcp that you do not recognize and/or are not working.

In the below scenario i do not use the LinkSys at all. I am keen to know if the Fritz!Box can see the homeplugs.

Do not connect any utp cables, just plug one of them in a 220v socket and push the reset button for 7 seconds.

Then plug in the other in a 220v socket and push the reset button for 7 seconds.

Now unplug them both. Hopefully this wil bring them back to factory default.

I am going to assume the Fritz!Box (a 7030?) has 4 UTP sockets, one of them is connected to your pc and 3 are free.

Connect a working UTP cable (NOT a cross-over!) from your Fritz!Box (awesome things by the way, i love my new Wireless N +Dect Fritz!) to one of those homeplugs.

Now first connect that homeplug with the utp to a 220V very very close to your FritzBOX, but NOT in a power divider. Use a wall 220V socket. Maybe it starts blinking that it found an IP adress. Hopefully you can see it in your computer/Fritz!Box settings page now.

Now connect the other homeplug without utp to a 220V very very close to your television, but NOT in a power divider. Use a wall 220V socket.

Connect a working UTP cable (NOT a cross-over!) from that power plug to your television.

Thanks Mr. B!

Unfortunately, your suggestion didn’t work either…
I have a Fritz!box Fon WLAN 7170 Annex A by the way…it works wonders for WiFi in the livingroom (the Linksys provides decent WiFi on the other floor)

I had hoped to connect my TV to the Linksys router and access media files (e.g. on my Iomega x2 Storestation)…or perhaps hook up other network capable devices…

Too bad it isn’t as easy as I thought it would be…perhaps finding a way to lay a cable after all… I’ll wait what the Sitecom helpdesk comes up with…

Thanks for the support!

Windows 7 Home has limited network capability’s Might want to check that out with your devices.

Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate has more networking

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2566315]Thanks Mr. B!

Unfortunately, your suggestion didn’t work either…[/quote] I wonder why. The 7170 Annex A is a standard ADSL modem with 4 x lan, 3 x analog and DSL via analog line. Had that thing myself.

Can you get any connection via the Sitecom powerplug? There should be one powerplug connected to the Fritz!Box and the other to just a computer or something. If we don’t know if this is going to work then we know nothing.

Can you test if a single UTP cable, connected to the Fritz!Box and a computer, works?

The Fritzbox works alright…when I connect my laptop through wifi or the linksys and my pc to the linksys router, internet works on all.

The Sitecom HomePlugs will not be found by its own utility…have no clue why…will wait for helpdesk…and otherwise I will throw it out the window :wink:

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2566452]The Fritzbox works alright…and my pc to the linksys router, internet works on all.[/quote] I assume this pc connects via a cable? Do you have a spare cable in where you can test this pc using the sitecomm powerplugs to connect the pc to the fritz!box.

In other words: pc -> powerplug -> 220v network <- powerplug <- fritz!box.

Or pc -> utp cable <- fritz!box

The Sitecom HomePlugs will not be found by its own utility…have no clue why…will wait for helpdesk…and otherwise I will throw it out the window :wink:
Seems someting is wrong with these things then.

Received a mail from helpdesk that these HomePlugs are probably faulty and I can return them…