Wierd results from Nero CDSpeed

Heres a screen capture of the problem

At the same point everytime the record speed drops to 20.02x and stays there, it doesn’t fluctuate at all, 20.02 all the way across the graph.

I have flashed this drive with the 48125W VS06 Bios, it is a 40125S drive. I have burned a couple disks with it and didn’t notice any slow down, in fact I burned a 785meg file in 3:08, why am I getting this slow of a result in the bench?

Edit:

Oh, I am using 48x Memorex CD-R Media

there may be some anomily or bug in the benchmark. But if you are getting good real world results why would you care if a benchmark tells you that you arent?

I am not worried about the #'s but why it is doing this, yes it could be a bug in the bench, but it could also be a sign that leads to something bad. I can actually hear the drive spin down at the point the graph drops.

I just burnt the same disk as before and I am now at 3:44, at about 52% I can hear the disk spin down and record sppeds slow down, so it isn’t just a bench error.

Did I burn the correct firmware? I didn’t do much research as to which one I should chose, I just chose the newest one and flashed it.

You could run the scandisc option in CD Speed on the disc you used to get that result, it would show if there media is rubbish. I had some Memorex CD-R not so long ago and neither Nero info tool or CD-R identifer could determine the manufacturer

come on now people. Why is everyone trying not to believe Cd speed i don’t think it lies i see a problem there.

It looks to me like SmartBurn doing it’s job with poor media. It will interrupt the burn when it sees errors, (over-burning), and resume the burn at a lower speed. I don’t know if smartBurn is active in CDSpeed or not though, as it is not really burning.

It is actually burning a disk! It burns alot of small .bin files onto the disk.

Here is a copy of the media check:
Manufacturer : CMC Magnetics
Code : 97m26s66f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 6: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.73
703 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

I am going to go back to the original firmaware and see if it still does this or not, I’ll be back:cool:

OK, here is the results after i flashed the drive back to the original firmware:

it is alot faster and there is no slowdown part way through.

i have the exact same problem

i have the memorex 40MAXX which i believe it’s the same as your drive. Now i’ve been suspicious of this cuz i’ve burned over 50 disks and all of them experience the same problem as your test w/ the 48x firmwares v02 and v06. And these are actual burns w/ ritek 40x and taiyo yuden 40x. No matter what speed i burn and w/ or w/o smartburn it pauses after like 2 minutes into the burn (light turns yellow) and then starts burning again (red) and you know when it happens cause all of a sudden the drive turns completely silent for the rest of the burn. So i was wondering if it’s burning at the assigned speed or not. I tried w/ nero 5590 & 5599, xp burning, and cdrwin 3.9. All burns from 32x to 48x experience the same thing w/ or w/o smartburn. Good thing i saw your results cause i thought it was just me.

I’ll flash my drive back to the original firmware as well now that i see your results. So i guess our 40x cannot oc to 48x firmware.

edit
flashed it to liteon 40125s 0N firmware…burned taiyo yuden 40x w/ smartburn…exact same results as w/ Diablo2k…no more slowdowns in the middle of the burn…loud noise from beginning to end. So all you 40125s guys might wanna reconsider if you’re using the 48x firmware and encounter the same patterns. But if anyone come across a fix for the slowdown…i’d be happy to jump back to 48x and test it out :slight_smile:

What is the differance between a 40125S and a 40125W?

overfiend, glad I helped someone out :slight_smile:

I am not to worried about gettting it working at 48x, I went from a 8x to this 40 and it made alot of differance, times went from about 14 minutes to less than 4, and when you are burning alot of disks at one time it makes a huge differance.

Does anyone know what the lower line in the graph is for, and what the numbers on the right of the graph as well?

Originally posted by Diablo2k
Does anyone know what the lower line in the graph is for, and what the numbers on the right of the graph as well?

The green line is burn speed - but you know that already :slight_smile: the yellow is drive RPM, the value of which is the right hand Y axis scale.

Interestingly I’ve had this problem with a LTR-40125S that has not been o/c’ed to 48x. It has happened on the last 2 of the 100 or so disks I’ve burned and I’ve assumed that it is the SmartBurn kicking in as rdgrimes suggested. I only noticed it after firmware ZS0K was flashed to the drive.

Two instances is hardly conclusive, so the next few burns will be watched to see if the problem continues, using different media. If it does, then it looks like I’ll be flashing with ZS0N. Interestingly the 2 firmwares used by Diablo2K and overfiend are ZS0J and ZS0N, so it could be a firmware issue

so unchecking smartburn on nero doesn’t really disable smartburn?

cuz the pause and resume at 24x happens to me even when smartburn is disabled. or else i won’t be able to attempt 48x writing on my 40x taiyo yudens and riteks. And it happens to me at 32-48x writing modes. it’s like there’s a limiter on the drive to stop and start again at 24x writing. I enabled nero’s realtime writespeed monitor right after seeing this post and saw the write paused at 37x, then 24x the rest of the way. It didn’t even reach the assigned 48x i told it to do.

so unchecking smartburn on nero doesn’t really disable smartburn

The only function of SmartBurn that is controlled by the software is the initial speed limitation on the burn, the other functions cannot be turned off as they are “hardwired” into the drive. Your experience is not typical of high-quality media, although my own 48x drive will not write 40x TY discs higher than about 45x, I rarely see it slow on other media. I think you have a problem with the laser and should return the drive. But first i would try a couple other media.

if it cannot reach 40x the 48x firmware then i’ll say you’re right about the media and the laser. But i’ve burned around 50 disks since yesterday when i downgraded the firmware to zs0n and they all burned to 40x with and without smartburn checked. And w/ 0 errors on all the burns. That’s why i don’t believe it’s the laser or the media.

You may have a bad copy of the 48x firmware. Suggest you create your own from the LiteOn exe file, using LiteFirm.

i did better than that…i downloaded it from liteon and ran it in windows. So i assume your’s don’t have the pause and 24x burn. I understand how alot of people will miss it cause the pause is so quick it’s barely noticeable. Especially those who doesn’t burn much. I on the other hand can go thru a couple of hundred burns a week.

Has anyone found out whats the cause of this ?

Also - those who have slowdown at midpoint - do you check the disk using CDSpeed’s quality check ?

I got a 40125s - ZS0K the other day and after much messing found I could only burn anything at 24X or less.

Using CDSpeed - v0.85f beta - I got a straight progressive line - but that build doesn’t actually burn a disc. So I tried v1.0 and got the exact same result as you guys - big dip - when checked I found the corresponding area is full of errors.

I tried other firmware - both 48x and 40x - with no joy.

I am going mental with this - I’d be glad if I could burn at 32X.

Anyone ?

mj

Originally posted by mj3zero
[B]Has anyone found out whats the cause of this ?

Also - those who have slowdown at midpoint - do you check the disk using CDSpeed’s quality check ?

I got a 40125s - ZS0K the other day and after much messing found I could only burn anything at 24X or less.

Using CDSpeed - v0.85f beta - I got a straight progressive line - but that build doesn’t actually burn a disc. So I tried v1.0 and got the exact same result as you guys - big dip - when checked I found the corresponding area is full of errors.

I tried other firmware - both 48x and 40x - with no joy.

I am going mental with this - I’d be glad if I could burn at 32X.

Anyone ?

mj [/B]

After I went back to the 40x firmware the problem went away for me, I can actually burn a disk quicker at 40x than I can at 48x.

I have now discovered that by removing all other aspi drivers the graph gets shunted to 40x -then dips to 8x - back to 32x - and again has errors at the dip point.

This is with the original media and 2 other 40x capable types.

What this means is I can now burn at 32x in Nero rather than 24x. Its like the drive’s burnproof mechanism isn’t working correctly - in any software.

Ive tried all the 40125s firmwares AND some of the 48x ones too.

Im going to mail Liteon and see what they say - I’ll probably return this and get another - though I might just get a Plextor. My Plextor 1210s is 2 years old and still perfect every time.

mj