Wierd, recurring problem while playing games-screen goes black?

vbimport

I have a Dell computer tower, and I’d say it’s fairly new. My old tower was just that-old. Yet I never really had problems playing most games on it. But I keep running into problems with this new tower. When playing The Sims 2, everything would start off fine. It would run smoothly-faster than it ever had with my old tower,-and the graphics looked fine. But something would go wrong soon after, and never at the same time. Sometimes it would be while loading a neighborhood, sometimes while on the neighborhood screen, or sometimes while on the Make-A-Family screen. This problem would always happen around this time though. It never happened earlier, and I was never able to get further than those moments. I assumed it was just because of the game when no one was able to help me, because The Sims games tend to be hard on computers with their size. For the record, with that game, I tried many different solutions, including reinstalling and deleting custom content. However, just now, I encountered the same problem with Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. I literally just installed it. Everything was fine, and I was wandering around the island at the beginning. I met someone and talked to him, and soon after this, I encountered the problem again. As far as I know, this is an older game and not one that my computer should have a problem with, so I think something else must be going on. I didn’t even have any other programs open while playing it.

Here is the problem that happens:

The whole screen goes black, even if the game is in window mode. There is no sound. Both the tower and monitor are still on. The computer keys do nothing, and the cursor cannot be seen. If you try and turn power off on the tower via the button on front, it will not work. I have to actually unplug the tower and power it up again. I cannot get another new tower, so I want to try and figure out the cause of this problem. Any ideas?

I had a similar problem with my old video card, the screen would randomly go black turns out it was a bad DVI to HDMI adapter.

the old video card is now in my brothers PC using a DVI to VGA adapter and my new video card has a HDMI port right on the back of the card and neither PC has had the problem since the upgrade so I know it was not the cable or the monitor

[QUOTE=BreakingPoint;2584102]I have a Dell computer tower, and I’d say it’s fairly new. My old tower was just that-old. Yet I never really had problems playing most games on it. But I keep running into problems with this new tower. When playing The Sims 2, everything would start off fine. It would run smoothly-faster than it ever had with my old tower,-and the graphics looked fine. But something would go wrong soon after, and never at the same time. Sometimes it would be while loading a neighborhood, sometimes while on the neighborhood screen, or sometimes while on the Make-A-Family screen. This problem would always happen around this time though. It never happened earlier, and I was never able to get further than those moments. I assumed it was just because of the game when no one was able to help me, because The Sims games tend to be hard on computers with their size. For the record, with that game, I tried many different solutions, including reinstalling and deleting custom content. However, just now, I encountered the same problem with Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. I literally just installed it. Everything was fine, and I was wandering around the island at the beginning. I met someone and talked to him, and soon after this, I encountered the problem again. As far as I know, this is an older game and not one that my computer should have a problem with, so I think something else must be going on. I didn’t even have any other programs open while playing it.

Here is the problem that happens:

The whole screen goes black, even if the game is in window mode. There is no sound. Both the tower and monitor are still on. The computer keys do nothing, and the cursor cannot be seen. If you try and turn power off on the tower via the button on front, it will not work. I have to actually unplug the tower and power it up again. I cannot get another new tower, so I want to try and figure out the cause of this problem. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Problem is you gave no hardware specs or setup so that we can see how the hardware is working and you didn’t tell us what O/S your using. Your asking for help but giving vague hardware specs that no one can be sure what is going on???

I don’t know how to give you any of those things, so unless you plan to tell me how, don’t ask for them.O_O;

[QUOTE=BreakingPoint;2584113]I don’t know how to give you any of those things, so unless you plan to tell me how, don’t ask for them.O_O;[/QUOTE]

Coolcolors is trying to assist you so there’s no need to be curt.

Your problem could be nearly anything so I can only give general advice but try updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version or if you already have the latest version then reinstall them.

If that doesn’t work then remove and reseat your graphics card to make sure it’s properly seated in the motherboard (making sure you take appropriate anti-static precautions).

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’m not being curt-I’m being honest.

I don’t know how to update my ghraphics card or reinstall it, and I am definitely not going to risk removing it, even if I knew how.

This problem has ocurred rarely outside of games, but it did occur twice today. That’s why I don’t think it could be a graphics card problem. This computer seems to be a newish model, and while it’s used, I don’t believe the people who had it before ever really used it much, so I doubt it’s an age problem.

Your Dell has a service tag. If you go to the Dell support website and put in the service tag, you are able to see all the updated drivers for your computer system.

I’m afraid I still don’t understand any of this. I don’t know where to find this tag or if there even is one. And like I said, this problem has happened outside of games a few times, so I’m doubtful that the real problem is something like that.

It’s on a sticker on the back or front of your computer.

I’m beginning to feel like this problem will never be solved.@_@

try a new monitor and cable, if that does not work then take your computer to someone that can properly trouble shoot it since you can not.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk but if you do not know how to give specs on your PC that is where you should stop.

[QUOTE=BreakingPoint;2584169]I’m beginning to feel like this problem will never be solved.@_@[/QUOTE] Is there anything close nearby that might possible help you in finding the Dell tag number and/or the model type of your Dell computer?

[QUOTE=BreakingPoint;2584169]I’m beginning to feel like this problem will never be solved.@_@[/QUOTE]

There should be a label located somewhere on the PC with the words ‘Service tag’ followed by the reference you need.

See here and check out the photo as an example.

The tag in the photo is blanked out but it’ll give you a good idea what to look for.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I see the tag, but that doesn’t really help me.

Taking it to someone else is really not an issue. My uncle has helped me enough for free, and I can’t afford anyone else.

Also, I don’t think the monitor is the problem. It’s never acted up before, and it’s pretty new. Plus, like I said, even the tower becomes unresponsive when this happens.

If you tell us the service tag we can at least look up the specs.

And BreakingPoint we don’t mind helping you but sometimes you have to do some reading to figure things out especially the very simple basic things. Like for example you could have searched using google on how to find your service tag on your Dell.

There are at least two tags on here…

BreakingPoint, people here are trying to help you but you’re not really doing much to help yourself.

You could at the very least tell us what operating system you’re using (e.g. winXP, vista, win 7) and then we can tell you how to access Device Manager from which the relevant system specs can be accessed.

Whilst I find it difficult to believe that you don’t already know the operating system (as it’s usually displayed on the boot screen), if you really don’t know then I’m sure your uncle will tell you.

I am doing plenty to help myself. I know how to get to the Device Manager, and I’m using Windows XP. No one asked about it.

Well then go to Device Manager and let us know the details of your processor, display adapter, monitor, and sound, video and game controllers, at least for a start. [Other members may ask for other or more detailed specs.]

Btw, coolcolors did infer that you should advise of your O/S (which you have now done).

He said O/S. I had no way of knowing what he meant.

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
Display adapter: Intel® 82845G GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Monitor: Default Monitor
Controllers: Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, Video Codecs