Wierd problem

vbimport

Ive been using clonedvd2 for years now along with dvddecriptor, anvdvd, and dvdfab on many diff computers storing movies on internal and external hds and never have run into this: this afternoon i ripped a few movies on my old tosh sat laptop and then put them on a recently purchased external 3tb seagate expansion hd. i then tried to copy one with clonedvd2 and got a error (File 3 E:/Moviesdvdrip/A_HISTORY_OF_VIOLENCE/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB 87 TCSectorReader). i then copied it back to the C: drive and had no problems… the only time i cant use the data is when its on my new drive. ive owned and used the 500g seagate expansion and have never had a problem. the new drive is usb3 usb2 and my computer is usb2… this is the only thing i can think of that might cause any prob at all… has anyone else run into this?

I have been backing up DVD’s and Blu-rays for many years now, and all I use now is DVDFab Paid Version. You do have to understand Files and Folders, and for DVD the most important Folder is the VIDEO_TS it holds all the VOB’s and control Files. It sound like you were working with A History of Violence Movie, and that has a VIDEO_TS Folder. So you make a Folder called HistoryOfViolence and under that you put the Sub-Folder VIDEO_TS with all the VOB Files. This is what you store and this is what you use to make your Back-up or Stream the Movie. :cool:

right. thats a given. my question is why does the movie not work from the 3tb drive but will work after non working data is transferred back off of that drive to any other drive? a history of violence was only one of many examples. if i try to copy any of these movies they work great unless the data is on that drive only… that is the only time i have ever had this problem. ive been using clonedvd2 and dvddecrypter for 5 or 6 years and have never heard of any problem like this. i just want to be able to keep my movie backups on this external drive but if i cant copy them back off of it it is worthless to me altogether… i dont want to copy it back to the laptop every time i want to burn a movie…

My thought is it is either the 3TB size or the USB 3 causing the problem .
If you can try a rip with a different computer to check if it also has the problem.

I have a 500GB external hdd & like your smaller one it has no problem with a write to a DVD . However MPC-HC player won’t play a movie from a folder on it but VLC has no problem. So it could be some new MS protection causing the problem .
So you might see how your Media players work with this drive.

If the “dvddecrypter” you are using is the one from LIGHTNING UK! then why not try ImgBurn ? It is possible the old “dvddecrypter” doesn’t work with the USB3.

How many 3Tb drives do you have installed IN this computer, by the way? This motherboard has a UEFI BIOS, yes? And you’re using Win7-64?

When the Seagate Ext is plugged in, and you pull up the DISK MANAGEMENT (under Administrative Tools / Computer Services / Disk Management), did it give you the chance to format it originally using MUI (MBR) or GUI?

Or did you install some Seagate translator utility that promises to make the 3Tb drive work with any computer?

I’ve never used that because I am suspicious of HDD translator software that promises backward compatibility. I’m wondering if this is an example of the feared drive problems?

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2655215]How many 3Tb drives do you have installed IN this computer, by the way? This motherboard has a UEFI BIOS, yes? And you’re using Win7-64?

When the Seagate Ext is plugged in, and you pull up the DISK MANAGEMENT (under Administrative Tools / Computer Services / Disk Management), did it give you the chance to format it originally using MUI (MBR) or GUI?

Or did you install some Seagate translator utility that promises to make the 3Tb drive work with any computer?

I’ve never used that because I am suspicious of HDD translator software that promises backward compatibility. I’m wondering if this is an example of the feared drive problems?[/QUOTE]

Christine has something here, I don’t like using External HDD’s all mine are Internal Formatted with Disk Manager. So working with Internal HDD’s you don’t lose any of the speed or compatibility. :cool: