Wierd kprobe 2.22 issue

when i scan a data dvd that is less than full i get servo error 300900 and it says that it is jumping lba but it goes far past where i have written and i can’t figure out why.

here is peek at what it looks like. the green PIF section is where it starts

Is the disc closed?

isnt 2.22 a bit buggy? ive had not very good sucess using it.

Works perfect here on 811 and 1213 using ASPI

i was using nero 6.3.1.15 and doing a data dvd. the settings say DAO and finalize but not sure how i would tell if nero is lying or not.

on a separate issue RDG why r u retired?

i have noticed some wierd things like if i start and then stop kprobe (sometimes i don’t catch the autoplay when i think i have) the display at the end is truncated to the amount that was done on the first scan like 3 or so percent.

when i use cdspeedv3 it works fine and doesn’t do this so maybe i should just use that proggie.

I could be wrong, but I think CDSpeed just stops when it hits a servo error, it doesn’t give you an error in other words, or show it.

Causes of servo errors can be a crappy disc, open disc, external activity on the IDE channel, etc. Hard to say really, but I don’t think it really changes the general value of the scan.

hmmm. well it keeps happening at 99.9% so i am wondering on the open disc possibility. any way to check that?

Sure, Nero disc properties will show space available, CDSpeed scandisc will show a red block at the end, and Kprobe disc properties will also tell something. I don’t use Express so I’m not sure about your settings, but they look right. Could be an issue with the drive too, looks like it’s trying to read unburned space on the disc.

kprobe reports:

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer RiTEK Corporation
Media ID RITEKR02
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 1.60 GB
Free Blocks 839472
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 6.2x
Maximum Write Speed 4.0x
Current Write Speed 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2.4x CLV

what is with the free size? here is something wierd… this disk info command in kprobe works with the nec drive must be a mmc command or something such

even wierder (and i did not notice this til i looked at the post the disc shows no free space… when i switched it over to the liteon it still showed none… conversly the one that shows free space shows it in both drives.

i burned both the exact same way within 15 minutes of each other. what is the deal?

the lite sees 4.38g used and the nec sees 3.91g which is closer to the truth. WTF?

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer RiTEK Corporation
Media ID RITEKR02
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 7.5x
Maximum Write Speed 4.0x
Current Write Speed 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2.4x CLV

Maybe a bug in Express? But that seems unlikely. Is user error a posibility? :wink:
Try using Nero instead?

i suppose there is always that possibility but what about the fact that that the nec sees 3.91gig used and the liteon sees 4.38?

Well, we all know the NEC is not the best reader…maybe it’s math skills suck as well? :stuck_out_tongue:

not in this case. the both discs were burned less than full capacity but the 411 shows it in kprobe as being full instead of partial.

every drive has its flaw… the nec’s flaw sure isn’t burn quality :wink:

here is what windows says for either drive:

the 411 shows it in kprobe as being full instead of partial.

This is all sounding very familiar. Maybe a bug in the 411 FW causes this. Can you try an 811 FW or a different 411 FW? I know we used to see this with 401’s and 411’s sometimes. It’s not a “problem”, just a glitch.

since all i ever use this drive for is scanning i am loath to change anything about it. but i bet you’re right that i did something different in the burn in the two discs and that it is a 411 bug for the other issue.

thanks RDG and all!

How can you stand to have a 411 and NOT flash it to 811? I couldn’t. :wink:
Most of the 811S firmware will produce very similar scans BTW.

Look at me, I have a 1213S that’s good for nothing but scanning. “But it’s a really good reader”, lol. :rolleyes:

hmm well it definatly has issues with external drives using spti. ill stick with 2.1 works perfectly for me.

why dont you try kprobe 2.1 i dont see alot of differences between 2.1 and 2.2 the scans atleast are the same. see if you get the same error in 2.1 then you can rule out it being the disk or drive. :wink: