Wierd...computer problems

Hi. I don’t know whether to classify this as a hardware or software problem so I decided to put it here.

A few weeks back, my computer started acting strange. My O/S is Win XP. Every 1 out of 10 boot-ups or so, I will get a screen saying that my Drive D: (the drive I boot up with) needs to be checked for consistency. After waiting for about 2 hours, it will finish and I can get into Windows.

Sometimes, when I start up, I will get a message: “Hit <Del> to continue.” The message comes up after the system recognises my 2 HDDs and my 2 CD drives. This is strange because it never used to do that - it would boot up straight away. There is no accompanying error message.

Once I am inside Windows, I noticed the presence of a few new directories in my D: (the primary HDD). They are:

[list=1]
[li]FOUND.000 with 2 files: file0000.chk and file0001.chk. The folder attribute is “DHS”.
[/li][li]msdownld.tmp, empty folder, folder attribute is “DH”.
[/li][li]WUTEMP, empty folder, folder attribute is “D”.
[/li][li]System Volume Information folder, attribute is “DHS”, has 1 subfolder “_restore{B4D1C184-3516-46F9-A6E7-F30A7DA4F1EA}”, has sub-sub-folders RP1-RP56 and a few files at the same level of the sub-sub-folders. Total size approx 6Gb!! There is a change.log file that is being continually updated in RP56 and which I therefore can not delete.
[/li][/list=1]

What is going on with my system? I’ve checked for viruses that could be causing the corruption but no luck. I’ve also done a bad sector scan overnight and if there were any problems, it would have fixed it because by the morning when I checked it was in Windows waiting for me.

Most curious is the “System Volume Information” folder. I can not see it in Windows Explorer. I had to use other methods of finding it. I don’t know how many other invisible folders or files are on my HDD’s.

Is this just a feature of Win XP I never noticed before? If it is then it is also wierd that all this started quite suddenly a few weeks back when I’ve had this O/S for a few months.

System Volume Information folder is for the windows System Restore. the FOUND.000 with 2 files: file0000.chk and file0001.chk. The folder attribute is “DHS”. These are parts of corrupted files Scandisk found. Are you using FAT 32 ?? If so think about using NTFS if you can.

Yes, I am using FAT32. How do I change to NTFS?

You can either use Admin Tools > Computer Management > Convert to NTFS or just format C: and reinstall your system. I 'm surprise people still use FAT32 in the first place.

I disagree, unless you have security issues, fat32 all the way. otherwise, if ever need be to boot into safe mode, or recovery mode, you will get problems accessing certain areas and if you ever need to overwrite a system file, its a huge pain in the @ss. You re getting errors as if the PC wasn’t turned off correctly, or sometimes a bad power supply or a power regulator can resolve an issue like this. Or you can turn off that system check altogether. Google search windows tweaks an dyou will find it somewhere, if I have spare time I will try to post. Also look through the group policy editor, might be in there.

Originally posted by Tyro
[B]Hi. I don’t know whether to classify this as a hardware or software problem so I decided to put it here.

A few weeks back, my computer started acting strange. My O/S is Win XP. Every 1 out of 10 boot-ups or so, I will get a screen saying that my Drive D: (the drive I boot up with) needs to be checked for consistency. After waiting for about 2 hours, it will finish and I can get into Windows.

Sometimes, when I start up, I will get a message: “Hit <Del> to continue.” The message comes up after the system recognises my 2 HDDs and my 2 CD drives. This is strange because it never used to do that - it would boot up straight away. There is no accompanying error message.

Once I am inside Windows, I noticed the presence of a few new directories in my D: (the primary HDD). They are:

[list=1]
[li]FOUND.000 with 2 files: file0000.chk and file0001.chk. The folder attribute is “DHS”.
[/li]> [li]msdownld.tmp, empty folder, folder attribute is “DH”.
[/li]> [li]WUTEMP, empty folder, folder attribute is “D”.
[/li]> [li]System Volume Information folder, attribute is “DHS”, has 1 subfolder “_restore{B4D1C184-3516-46F9-A6E7-F30A7DA4F1EA}”, has sub-sub-folders RP1-RP56 and a few files at the same level of the sub-sub-folders. Total size approx 6Gb!! There is a change.log file that is being continually updated in RP56 and which I therefore can not delete.
[/li]> [/list=1]

What is going on with my system? I’ve checked for viruses that could be causing the corruption but no luck. I’ve also done a bad sector scan overnight and if there were any problems, it would have fixed it because by the morning when I checked it was in Windows waiting for me.

Most curious is the “System Volume Information” folder. I can not see it in Windows Explorer. I had to use other methods of finding it. I don’t know how many other invisible folders or files are on my HDD’s.

Is this just a feature of Win XP I never noticed before? If it is then it is also wierd that all this started quite suddenly a few weeks back when I’ve had this O/S for a few months. [/B]

ok the “system volume information” folder is win xp’s system restore folder so when you do a sytem restore the “system volume information” folder is where win xp looks to go back to a different time. You can get to this folder but I suggest you do it the easy way and just turn OFF SYSTEM RESTORE, This will delete every folder in the “system volume information” folder.

The other way to see it is to open windows explorer click the tools menu>folder options>view menu then look for a setting called “hide protected operating system files” and untick it then you will be able to see the “system volume information” folder on your C:/ drive the only way to access it though is to SHARE IT, But I still suggest you DON’T do it this way but just turn off system restore.
To turn off system restore right click the my computer icon select properties>system resore tab then check turn off system restore on all drives.

WUTEMP is windows update temp folder this is where all windows updates are stored when you download updates from the M$ windows update site. It is empty because all updates are deleted once they install themselves.

msdownld.tmp is what it says it is M$ download temp folder.

Originally posted by xtacydima
I disagree, unless you have security issues, fat32 all the way.

You have got to be kidding me. If you fscked up your system files, just do a recovery w/ the installation CD. Don’t you know there are free programs that lets you fondle NTFS format HD in DOS? Ok, seriously, who the hell runs Win2K and WinXP in FAT32? Right, you don’t encode divx or backup DVDs. Oh well, do as you please, I spoke my peace.

i totally agree with Stoner on this one.
WinXP and Win2K run awesome and better using NTFS format.
i had nothing but problems with crashes and stability using FAT32.
almost seems that WinXP and Win2K have problems using FAT32 file system, and weren’t designed for FAT32.
plus all my friends have switch to NTFS aswell and they even say its better.
but maybe some people don’t have problems with FAT32, guess the choice is yours.

I guess its diff for everyone. I had startup glitches with NTFS and booted into a DOS like screen with no Windows. Been running Fat32 on XP and on 2K(dual boot) and no problems going over a year now… phew

Guess you dont know till you try. And its diff for everyones situation.

Well if you were running NTFS you would’nt be getting scandisk running whenever you start up your comp. FAT 32 is old and is being phased out. Unless you dual booting with like windows 9x, there should be no reason to be using it. :wink:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/managing/convertfat.asp

totally agree if you have an os that can use NTFS use it, fat32 is old and nowhere near as good. NTFS is far more stable and you get far less (if any) errors.

partition magic 8 can supposedly convert drives now that have an os installed on them while its running

you can convert from within XP
just read the link i posted…no need for other tools

I don’t trust M$ as far as I can kick em

i used it on all my hdd and it works fast
nothing to worry

I am running NTFS on WinXP on 2 machines and havent had any problems.

If it is taking 2 hours to check the structure, is that drive almnost full??