Wierd burning marks on cd media

Hi people

I use a lite on LTR-52327S burner and everytime i burn at the max speed i get wierd looking burns when looking at the underside of the cd.

It looks dark for around 1 cm (10mm) then light for the rest of cd, tried different type of media and the results are the same if burned at high speed, but if i set it at 12x the cd looks fine underneath.

Only owned for nearly a month.

Ps: sorry for the poor looking picture but should explain clearly the above. (the yellow/red tint was added to the picture so it looks more clear)

these “marks” are where the disc has been physically burned.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
these “marks” are where the disc has been physically burned.

Thanks for the reply, but this happens on cds what hold nearly the full capacity (vcd,svcd etc), i have never seen this before on my old (now dead) burner.

Image above changed, yellow tint is there on the cd no matter what while the red tint is the rest of the burned cd, all cds look like 100x megs has been burnt when most cds i do are nearly full capacity (like the red tint shows).

Hi,

i had the same effect some while ago with another burner.
I think the border is the point where the burner increases the writespeed about a special point so that the pitches are looking a bit different after this increasing point.
That’s my theory :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Froggyman
[B]Hi,

i had the same effect some while ago with another burner.
I think the border is the point where the burner increases the writespeed about a special point so that the pitches are looking a bit different after this increasing point.
That’s my theory :slight_smile: [/B]

This happens with the old-style Z-CLV burners, but not with the newer P-CAV or CAV burners (like the 52327S). Most likely what is happening is that the drive is down-shifting the speed in the middle of the burn process because it has “decided” that it can’t really write at the selected speed because the media can’t handle it.

Or it may be as simple as that the writer changes the write-strategy/laser power at that place.

If the discs still works good I would not worry about it at all.

i think CDRecorder has it figured out. the OP says it only happens when he burns at max speed (52x), which normally has a CAV write strategy, so there shouldn’t be any shift in speed if everything’s going smoothly. smart-burn must be kicking in and dropping the speed at that point.