Wierd Buffer behaviour in Nero/ImgBurn with LH-20A1L-S

I’m seeing some wierd behaviour in Nero (7.7.5.1) with my Liteon LH-20A1L SATA burner (BL05 firmware). The “Used read buffer” used to stay at 100% for most of the burn, only emptying out as it reached the end but now it’s only hitting 23-25%. The drives Buffer Level stays at 97% most of the time, occasionally dropping to 80% and the burns are fine.

I’ve got a dual-boot XP setup and it’s the same under both. The only drive feature enabled is SmartBurn.

When verifying, again the read buffer is only going to about 17% under one of my XP’s but seems to be working normally in the other.

I also tested with ImgBurn and the Buffer filled up to 100% (I set it to 80MB) but then as soon as the burn started, proceeded to empty out. The burn continued with the Device Buffer fluctuating all over the place until the burn got to about 33%, at which point it paused while waiting for the buffers to recover, when the Buffer filled up again and stayed full for about another 5% of the burn, at which point it emptied again. It repeated this process once more at 56%. Despite this, and the fact that the verify process slowed right down a couple of times, this disc scanned very nicely.

I don’t think this can be a drive problem, rather it seems something is causing problems with Nero and ImgBurn’s buffers but I can’t think what, so if anyone can help I’d appreciate it.

As this seems to be a software problem, I’ve now posted about it in the ImgBurn forum. Sorry for the cross-posting.

Turns out it wasn’t really a hardware or software problem but a BIOS one!

It seems that if, in the BIOS, I put the SATA ports in IDE mode, both my SATA ports share a channel (Master and Slave), which I recall used to cause problems with IDE HDs and burners, with not enough bandwidth being available for both at the same time.

So, I have to put it in SATA mode, which gives each port it’s own channel (Primary and Secondary). I thought SATA mode caused problems and required special drivers but it seems SATA mode on this board is not the same as newer boards.