Widespread fiber to the home internet service at least 10 years away

Widespread fiber to the home internet service at least 10 years away.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/04/Ck8ca.jpg[/newsimage]Despite the continued development, increasing subscriber rate and immense boost in internet speed, fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) technology may not be a mainstream option for the U.S. and Canada for around a decade says a new report.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/widespread-fiber-to-the-home-internet-service-at-least-10-years-away-43518/](http://www.myce.com/news/widespread-fiber-to-the-home-internet-service-at-least-10-years-away-43518/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“Ratliff also points out that despite the marginal increase in cost for better service, the majority of broadband subscribers stick with the most basic service available. If customers aren’t spending on current premium services, he rationalizes, service providers will be slow to push new technology; they’d be competing for consumer dollars that just may not be there.”

Marginal? He should check out the rates in Canada!
$40.00 for “High Speed” $170.00 for something perhaps acceptable.
Let’s call a Spade a Godamn Shovel here and state that the ISPs are making far too much proffit from their current system and far too cheap to actually perform desperately needed upgrades to the 40+ year old infrastructure.

I agree. I left Concrap 10Mbps service for a much cheaper Centurystink DSL 1.5 Mbps line. Cost differential, 60 bucks a month. I don’t watch much TV, so basically I was being raped by the “Cable” division just to subscribe to the “Internet” division. I miss the faster speed, a lot. But I feel good every month that I know I can afford my bills. As far as fiber-optics go, I know they have it, I helped lay the lines, but it’s still not in my area. I ask about it and get the run around. They’ll turn it on, when the cable lines get finally overcompressed and nothing comes out.

We in Australia …have started already with… FTTH…it is highly costly to implement but you have to start some time … just keep the politicians out of the loop… they dont know whats going on …usualy they will stuff it up big time …

[QUOTE=murray_bredin;2585584]We in Australia …have started already with… FTTH…it is highly costly to implement but you have to start some time … just keep the politicians out of the loop… they dont know whats going on …usualy they will stuff it up big time …[/QUOTE]

Here in Calgary, AB, Canada, once (a long time ago) the Telecom capitol of the World, fibre is available if;
You are filthy ritch and happen to be a neighbor of the Shaw Family. Owners of Shaw Communications and Shaw Cable.
If you don’t meet both of the above criteria you are SOL.
Some years ago I asked a Telus (our Telco) repairman working on my phone lines when ADSL would be available to me as the phone line in my home were installed in 1911 and not up to snuff. His answer was Sometime in my lifetime maybe if there were enough Blue Moons and I sacrificed enough virgins.
In short never.
As long as the bucks are rolling in and the CEO isn’t being hung in effigy or literaly, it’s business as usual, customers be damned.

I recently jumped from a $46.99/month Cox cable ~15Mbps down/5Mbps up to Qwest VDSL2 ~40Mbps down/20Mbps up for $49.99 month for the first 2 years. After the first 2 years, it jumps to $75/month. And while I really enjoy the higher speeds, cost is the main factor for most people. After 2 years, I will probably jump back to Cox cable if Qwest won’t give me a better rate than $75/month.

I’m definitely jealous of all those folks in Kansas City that will have the option to go with Google’s FTTH service, but if it was too costly, I probably wouldn’t subscribe anyway…

If you live in a very small town, out in the sticks, I doubt that fiber will reach you even in 10yrs here in the US.

It took forever for my little town to get DSL, and our top speed is 5Mbps down. Its still faster and more reliable than the best option from the local cable company…hard to believe but true.