Why Z-CLV at Only Certain DVD Burning Speeds?

vbimport

I’ve been wondering about this for quite some time now but never bothered to actually post my curiosity on the subject until now. Why is it that just about every DVD burner uses the Z-CLV method while burning DVDs at speeds of 8x-12x yet the specs of many 16x burners indicate that they burn at 16x speeds using other (arguably more reliable) methods such as CLV or CAV? What is it about 8x and 12x speeds that drive manufacturers seem to forbid using the more reliable methods such as CLV, CAV, and P-CAV? I have a LiteOn SOHW-812s and I have never been able to get good quality burns at 8x speeds even with quality 8x certified media. For example, movies burned at 8x seem to glitch during playback right around the points where the zone changes burning speeds. These zone changes also give the burned disc a visual appearance on the written surface the “rings” that everyone here refers to. I’ve never been a fan of the Z-CLV as I have always questioned it’s reliabilty and my 8x DVD burning experiences solidify my reasonable doubts towards this shaky write method. I question the reason for using Z-CLV because it just seems strange to me why drives will burn at just about any other speed, i.e. 2.4x, 4x, 6x, even 16x using technologies other than Z-CLV.

Any educated explaination provided for this would be sweet. :slight_smile:

Thanks all.

It’s just for certain type of drives. Pioneer likes Z-CLV, NEC does Z-CLV for 12x & CAV for 16x. BenQ P-CAV/CAV ect. :slight_smile: