Why would anyone use DVD+R

vbimport

if DVD-R in general is more compatible with dvd players?

“Unfortunately, the Pioneer will never support bitsetting for single layer DVD+Rs.”

This is because Pioneer is part of the DVD-Rom alliance I assume? I’m trying to figure out here why (assuming prices are equal) anyone would use DVD+Rs to back up video DVDs over DVD-Rs…

Am I missing something when I think just use DVD-Rs and you won’t have to worry about bitsetting or flashing firmware or any of that!

even though DVD-R was the first blank dvdr format to be released, I’m quite shocked at how much it fell behind the +R format over the years. If it wasn’t for bitsetting +Rs to DVD-ROM I would probably be in the same boat as you and prefer -Rs and nothing else. Even with blank medias, the higher speed blanks usually come out first for the +R as opposed to the -R. As far as compatibility, I can’t really tell the difference (yet) with a movie burned using a DVD-R or one burned using a DVD+R bitset to DVD-ROM.

vallybally, I was sort of confused about this also. But now, I always use +R with bitsetting enabled. Because it changes the disc to “DVD-ROM”. The below link is to a post that sort of explains it:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=667696&postcount=5

read this http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

i guess in my opinion any decent dvd player should play dvd+R , mpeg4 , etc. I wouldnt buy one that didnt.

I dont want to get flamed , just my 2cents worth :slight_smile: dvd- must not be to terrible or there would be alot less people using it.

bitsetting +R to DVD-ROM! even my old Matsushita (Panasonic) 1X DVD-ROM which only reads pressed DVD-ROM and CD-ROM can read the DVD+R that has been bitset to DVD-ROM!! Way to go, +R w/ bitsetting!!

I have two drives, one for -R and the other for +R and Kprobe. I generally get whatever is the best price for either media. Sometimes Ricoh +R, sometimes Ritek in either and the majority of the time Prodisc S03. Most people find no difference with either format as to quality, it is most often what the drive prefers.

I can’t even tell a compatibility difference btween DVD-R & non-bitset DVD+R! :eek:

DVD+R gets the faster speeds first cough8x*&12xcough*
DVD+R is also the only format which currently has DL media & drives on the market, albeit, expensive.

I like +R because you have more options–you can burn in sessions, you can bitset, faster media available (for now), dual layer–and not to mention my laptop will read +r (without bitsetting) and won’t touch a -r. But if -R is on sale, I will buy it. I think they both have their own advantages, I just personally prefer +R. But I have a feeling this debate is going to be around for A LONG TIME!!! At least until we start having the debate about BluRay/HDDVD. :stuck_out_tongue:

jd:cool:

+R is more advanced - the allaince (or should it be the Empire?) wanted too much money for licences, giving rise to an alternative standard which learnt from the mistakes of -R.

It looks like we will endure a VHS/Betamax fiasco for years to come, and quite likely with the format(s) which eventually replace it as well… it seems all new drives released are dual - and often faster with +R

ill stick to the DVD-R format, afterall, all original pressed material is in that format and not the +R format. also i got 2 very old dvd players and they don’t like +r media, the same goes for the Playstation 2, i have 2 units, a v6 and a v9 both prefer -R since they read it faster and complain less!

As far as error rates and speeds, the DVD+R format is vastly greater. I have still yet to see a really good 8x+ dvd-r burn. Also there are players that wont play dvd-r disks as well, so dont beleive that they are compatable with every player.

The best combination, IMHO with compatability and low error rates are bitset DVD+R to DVD-ROM (not the same as DVD-R). Also, if you want dual layer you dont have a choice but to use DVD+R. :wink:

I run a Pioneer 105 (DVD-R) and an NEC 2510A (Dual Format) so you can probaly tell which one is the newer and I must say that although I mainly use DVD-R (Cos they seem to be better value and more plentiful on the market and endorsed by the DVD forum… blah blah, I do find that bitsetting a + disc does perform better on my set top players, as they are identified as DVD-ROM.

I find compatibility to be higher with booktyped dvd+r than with dvd-r in most standalone devices. As others have also mentioned, dvd+r is much further ahead with its capabilities than dvd-r (higher burn speed as well as dvd+r9).

I don’t know where you got that from, but a pressed dvd is NOT a dvd-r.

I prefer DVD+R for these reason:

-Most writers produce best quality burns on DVD+R media.
-Bitsetting makes it the most compatible media. (and thus writers that do not support bitsetting get a fat minus in my book).
-Higher speeds earlier, there is probably over 10 8x certified DVD+R types here, but only three 8x certified DVD-R (RITEKG05, TYG02 and MCC02RG20) for example. Maybe there is more 8x DVD-R in other parts of the world? :stuck_out_tongue:
-DVD+R is often cheaper or same price here :smiley:

To be honest I never use DVD-R for personal use :slight_smile: As I can’t find any reasons to.

It seems that minus discs are currently more plentiful in the UK (especially on web sites). They also seem to be more popular as quite a lot of PCs (including mine) were originally included with minus burners. However, if you go to PC world, all you can find is plus discs.
I have also read recently that there are no statistics that actually back up that bitsetted plus discs perform better than good quality minus discs in a reletively new set top player. Discuss

Same here. I only use dvd+r myself.

Obviously with a newer player it’s much more likely that it’ll support the playing of recordable discs; technology naturally advances. Limiting the sampling like that isn’t much of a statement at all. What we’re after is overall compatibility.

DVD+RW has won the race. It’s now time to discuss Blu-ray vs. AOD. :slight_smile:

Here is a list of some of the most fanatic DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM supporters:

1. Pioneer
  2. Hitachi
  3. Toshiba
  4. LG
  5. Samsung

Pioneer has DVR-A08 whose most advertised features are DVD+R DL 4x and 16x DVD+R.

Hitachi and LG jointly have GSA-4120 and GSA-4160 whose most advertised features are DVD+R DL 4x/2.4x and 16x/12x DVD+R. (DL 4x only for 4160.)

Toshiba and Samsung have TS-H552B and TS-H542A whose most advertised features are DVD+R DL 2.4x and 16x/12x DVD+R. (DL only for 552B.)

Now let’s see who’s supporting DVD-R/DVD-RW in the media industry.

1. CMC
  2. Ritek
  3. Prodisc
  4. Pioneer
  5. Taiyo Yuden
  6. Mitsubishi
  7. Ricoh

They are the main manufacturers of DVD-R/-RW and DVD+R/+RW media products in Japan and Taiwan. All first-tier Taiwanese media manufacturers now concentrate on DVD+R media production because of profitability. Mitsubishi has always been DVD+R/+RW supporter. Ricoh has been the main supplier of DVD+R/DVD+RW drives and media. Pioneer stopped producing DVD-R/-RW media because they were no longer profitable enough for them.

By the way, personally, I like HDDs most for storing DivX and DVD files. I’ll get a few portable multimedia players based on 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch HDDs soon. :slight_smile:

There are plenty of Statistics that show DVD+R media with lower error rates than simular dvd-r media(in the media test forum), which in turn mean better playability. So when we say perform better we also mean do not skip or freeze etc. , not just are compatable. But as to bitsetting, I have 12 or so DVD home players and 8 or so DVD rom/writers and a DVD-ROM bitset format plays fine in all of them, where as in several of my older sony home players the DVD-R format will not read, skip, or freeze.

but if you get dvd-r more easily in the UK then stay with them. All we are saying if your comparing the two Bitset DVD+R wins. :iagree:

The main reason I think that all drive companies dont bitset, is they know if all dvd writers bitset, that dvd-r media will fade from the markets.

There has also been heavy debate on other forum sites about bitsetting DVD-R!
Apparantly this operation takes the disc out of the accepted format approved by the DVD forum.
I personally don’t believe it possible as you cannot write to that part of a DVD-R, can you?