Why would a stolen source code => delayed release?

There was an article from CNN here regarding the theft of Half Life 2’s source code.

Why would the theft of the source code cause a delay in the release of the game as (to quote the article) parts of the game get rewritten?

If anything, they should speed up release so that whoever stole it can’t capitalise on the theft before they do.

Edit:Didn’t notice a related CDFreaks article on the stolen source here. FYI.

Reasons

1.Someone wants to see the unfinihsed product so bad they can taste it.
2. competiton.
3. To be the first on the block to have it
4. Pick a idea

If the source code is stolen, they probably want to make a few changes so they still (again?) have an original game to produce…

also, to rework possible exploits, but they shouldnt have a problem with that, as its hard to predict where an exploit will rise. i usually check www.planethalflife.com for new info on the delays, they havent lied yet. of course, the playable beta of hl2 was kinda bizarre :stuck_out_tongue:

speaking of planethalflife, apparently someone with the code has made a little statement

To all those saying HL2 was delayed because of the hacking action, ill just remind you that what was leaked is what Valve has, nothing more and nothing less, so its pretty good to understand it wasnt finished yet.

Also I’d like to point out the E3 [demo] was one big fake by Valve. Ever tried to kill that soldier in physicstown ? Notice the door will still get kicked ? No scripted sequences ?

To everyone saying this is no Beta: I’d like to point out that THIS is what you wanted Valve to release on 9/30/03, theres no such thing as a much better release in Valves network!

To Valve: I suggest you stop lying to your customers about how much was stolen/compromised, or I’ll have to release everything just to prove my point. And you know what you got, as I do.

Originally posted by Tyro
[B]There was an article from CNN here regarding the theft of Half Life 2’s source code.

Why would the theft of the source code cause a delay in the release of the game as (to quote the article) parts of the game get rewritten?

If anything, they should speed up release so that whoever stole it can’t capitalise on the theft before they do.

Edit:Didn’t notice a related CDFreaks article on the stolen source here. FYI. [/B]

[i]
Well, the Source Code is basically the game engine of the game.
This means that whoever got their hands on it can manipulate the product [which they would have to buy].

By manipulating the product [Half Life 2] the user can
brand/customize/recreate/forge/tweak/replot the entire game and make it as if he made it.[/i]

Perhaps the Halflife 2 company are delaying the release so they can somehow recode the game so that it may not be manipulated as such.