Why use Solid burn if write strat already present in f/w?

vbimport

I used ala’s MCSE to see if write strategies were present in the firmware (BCDC) of my BenQ (DW-1650) for the dvd+R media i use (moser baer +R, mid code (MBIPG101 R05)

…and found they were there, if so what advantages does Solid burn (ON) give (if any) ?

…does activating Solid burn ignore a write strat (if present) in favour of finding the best strat on its own ?

Could it be accurate to say if a write strategy is already present in the firmware for media then Solid burn is redundant ?

Can one assume the write strats present for the concerned media, are the best possible to use.

This is a good question I was going to ask myself at some point.

The other question is why do some people say the burner will get better on the same media after you burn several of them. Shouldn’t it learn after the first one?

I thought solidburn used the write strat as a starting point, but then would tune the write start to the particular batch of media you had?

A lot of media is so variable in quality that having it on will help with the not as good as they should be disks out there.
My MCC disks here in the US are pretty variable and the solid burn can at least make most of them into usable media.
They do seem to sometimes get better after a few burns but it learns after first burn, then might get better as it fine tunes, YMMV.

I looked at my default Qsuite2.1 SB settings and Solidburn is not activated for known media (which i presume is for media codes incld. in the firmware) and is activated for unknown.

I guess at this point, is it advisable to activate SB for known media as well ?

I think Dartman summed it up pretty well, usually after 3 burns you should see a difference, if you do not I would hesitate to enable it. Also with well known excellent media like Taiyo Yuden I always leave it disabled along with WOPC, but that is just my preference.

I’ve just had an interesting Solidburn experience:

Ridisc Extreme DVD-R 8x CMC MAG AE1 when burned at the default 8x speed turns out a disc that skips, jumps and is basically unusable right from the beginning on my standalone player.

When Solidburn is enabled it burns the same disc at a painfully slow 2x the whole way, but appears to make a perfect disc that plays well on my standalone.

In this case Solidburn takes a significantly different approach to burning these discs, and makes the difference between a usable, playeable disc, and one which is only good for the trash.

I’ve had very good results turning Solid Burn on for known media. With already good media such as genuine MCC 004 and YUDEN 000 T02 it obviously helps get even better results than using just the writing strategy associated with MID in firmware. Don’t definately know why but possibly the firmwares writing strategy is ‘conservative’ to cope with a broad range of quality variation? Whereas Solid Burn will always push to the best of what it finds.

Another very interesting aspect of turning Solid Burn on for known media is when you burn media with “borrowed” MIDs ie fakes. I don’t do this a lot but I have experimented a little in the past with cheap crap fakes.

A lot of poor media (fakes) that uses top notch media’s MID’s such as YUDEN 000 T02 and recently MCC 004 are often so dissimilar from what they report to be to the firmware that using the firmwares wriitng strategy associated with that MID often results in coasters or very poor burns beyond what it might have resulted in if it had used a proper writing strategy suited to it’s true brand/nature.

In the case of crap Infosmart discs with a ‘borrowed’ Taiyo Yuden MID you ‘could’ do a strategy swap and get a better result using a proper Infosmart writing strategy but I’ve found that if you turn on Solid Burn for known media it often gets even better results still by ignoring the writing strategy associated with the MID in firmware and learning based on the actual medias true physical properties. Again leading me to an assummption that media writing strategys in firmware are often conservative in nature and open to tweaking which Solid Burn seems capable of achieving.

Then of course it’s also useful for same brand of media made by different companies with obvious variations to the norm such as Verbatim media made in India behaving differently to that of CMC or Prodisc made Verbatim. Again, you would need a conservative writing strategy to cope with the variations.

Of course having said that, the next burn on that media was 8x with Solidburn turned on. Probably fine for most things, but not my fussy standalone player.

i’m beginning to get the same impression as well…

I tried solidburn on and the QS score was 98 (more than halved what little PIF total there was) whereas without it was 95-96. i think i will leave it on for now as the results appear promising.

If you look at disc info in CD speed, i was under the impression that the hex info at the bottom is the write stategy for the DVD ?

If so why is it also included in the firmware ?

Perhaps it’s for drives of other brands that aren’t lucky enough to have SolidBurn? :stuck_out_tongue:

If I recall correctly, not a DVD-RW drives are made equal. Even the new BenQ DW1670 lacks SolidBurn if I remember correctly.

In this case perhaps the burn strategy in the Disc Info will help these unfortunate drives burn better.

Oh i meant, even if Solid burn is not available on the drive, i would have thought any drive would read the write strat of the DVD itself. That is of course if there really is a write strat incld. on each & every DVD.