Why use CloneDVD over free titles like DVDshrink

Why use CloneDVD over free titles like DVDshrink?

DVDCake

It’s a matter of taste.

I thought this too, but in the end i bought clonedvd and anydvd because i can create a backup of any film in under 20 minutes. It is very simple to do and perfect results everytime.

Other methods take too long, fiddly, or you need to be infront of your computer watching it.

Because of the sheep! :wink:

ive tested both & done a few hundred movies & discovered CloneDVD is easier to use,
plus ive noticed a inprovement in quality compared to DVDshrink.

btw Olli your from NZ right? :wink:

I keep hearing the sheep munching popcorn in my head!

Seriously, I like CloneDVD2 as much as any of the other programs. Coupled with DVD Region-Free I can do complete backups in about 35 minutes for even the most compressed movies. I also like the fact that it doesn’t seem to be bothered with even the most compression on it as possible. I’ve had movies down to the 51% range and they played back perfectly in stand-alones. I’ve done a couple movies in Nero Recode 2 like that and they skipped or stuttered towards the end because of the amount of compression.

It’s all personal preference. If you have a program that works for you and you don’t need to change than keep on going with that program. :slight_smile:

:iagree: :bow:

I just like the features, quality and “feel” of the program. I’ve demo’d many different packages and nothing seems to work as well for my needs.

And I find the sheep eating popcorn oddly intoxicating.

Off-topic:
"…they skipped or stuttered towards the end because of the amount of compression. "

This is a media problem, has nothing to do with compression.

CloneDVD is a much easier program to use than DVDShrink. DVDShrink is free but the process of breaking apart the DVD so you can only get the sections you want is only available on CloneDVD. I know that you can re-author the DVD so you can get the video portions, but then you loose the menus and the original feel of the source DVD that you are copying. You also have to use multiple programs with DVDShrink if you want to re-author a DVD and include menus and other features. CloneDVD does this all in one complete package.

One positive thing that I have noticed about DVDShrink is that when you copy the whole DVD it seems to have a lower compression amount than when you copy the whole DVD using CloneDVD. But the percentage is still very small and CloneDVD is worth the money. It does not take to long to backup a DVD and the process is simple.

I can only agree. It is a matter of taste and later of habit.

Nonetheless, I prefer CloneDVD (with AnyDVD) to any software, because it is transparent, easy to use, reliable, quick, and all-in-one. What concerns compression ratio. It is relative. Better one to the other compared to what objective measuring method? Well, you can say it is seen on the outcome. I would be really surprised. And anyway, on a usual TV set you are counting pixels or watching the movie?!

With AnyDVD/CloneDVD is everything crystal clear and ready. You just choose and click. I am certain that you can not use DVDShrink (successfully, effectively) without preliminary, proper reading.
It is my opinion and not meant to take sides.

Pardon my interjection…

I use DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink for about 99% of my DVD backups. Both free, both result in near perfect vid and sound qualities everytime. CloneDVD is a great piece of software, don’t get me wrong, but $53US for something that serves the same purpose as a freeware proggie like DVDShrink? Ouch… has Microsoft got something to do with Elby? No offense, Olli but I’ll use it for the 21 day period and then go right back to DVDShrink. I am a registered (paid) user of CloneCD, doesn’t that qualify me for a package discount or somethin’? :slight_smile:

Hi,

> Pardon my interjection…

I use DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink for about 99% of my DVD backups. Both free, both result in near perfect vid and sound qualities everytime. CloneDVD is a great piece of software, don’t get me wrong, but $53US for something that serves the same purpose as a freeware proggie like DVDShrink? Ouch… <

Actually, it is 65,- USD (AnyDVD & CloneDVD bundle at SlySoft)
BTW, AnyDVD is a “must have” utility. There is no freeware replacement. (No, DVDDecrypter doesn’t help me, when I watch a movie on my HTPC. Free DVD43 doesn’t help either, it doesn’t remove Macrovision and user prohibited operations)

>has Microsoft got something to do with Elby? <
:eek:

> No offense, Olli but I’ll use it for the 21 day period and then go right back to DVDShrink. <

No offense taken. But, it is not my fault, that DVDShrink is for free. :rolleyes:
Free DVDShrink had a huge impact on the commercial copy programs (DVD2One, CloneDVD, InstantCopy, MovieJackDVD, DCS, …) which either dropped their price to almost nothing, stopped development or are slowly vanishing…
I am not sure, if DVDShrink is still developed, I once read on doom9.org that the author stopped it and only fixes bugs because of his involvement with Nero Recode?
Speaking of Recode, this is basically “free” as well, if Nero 6 is bundled with almost any DVD writer you can buy.
I am not saying, that releasing DVDShrink for free is “bad”. Actual, it is good for the consumer, but bad for companies trying to compete.
I would have a better feeling if Shrink would be released with Source Code, so people could make fixes even after the author has given up. But you have the same problem with commercial software as well… if the company goes bust, or decides to drop a product, you’re all alone… (see 321 Studios recent “thank you for all your money and goodbye” stunt) :rolleyes:

> I am a registered (paid) user of CloneCD, doesn’t that qualify me for a package discount or somethin’? :)<

I believe, that SlySoft accepts your CloneCD 15$ discount. You should contact them for details.

Well, I admit, I’ve got to recant. SlySoft granted me my $15 credit towards the purchase price of the entire package and I went for it. I’m now running AnyDVD with CloneDVD and am extremely pleased with the results. It turns a two-step process into one and has (so far) made flawless and quite fast backups. “Drop Dead Fred” was a record 9:31 with my Plextor 716A using the two apps. Fine work, Olli, fine fine work.

Well that’s all folks…when the devil goes for something good (CloneDVD), there is no other need for us to explain why we choose it.

I’ve never used Shrink or DVD-Decriptor but people i’ve talked to say it takes like an hour to transcode 8.5 gig movie and then burn time is added? So 1hour 9mins for 8X burn? Or have i been misled?

I am too an Any DVD/Clone DVD man, and as stated before simply for its one click, idiot proof, leave it alone and go make dinner interface.

@Rolling56, it can be very slow for some transcoding, A member Stormbarr said it took 1.5 hrs to do 60% compression, whereas Clone took 18 minutes. Others have said its just as quick.