Why UMG v. Lindor really matters!

Want to see what happens when a judge properly rules on what the law is? Read this!

It sure would be nice to see these guys reined in a bit; even though they don’t affect me, I hate seeing people getting busted for P2P like they just commited a homicide or something.

Yes, it’s certainly a very lopsided prosecution, with no real focus–despite all the industry claims to the contrary. If your focus is to stop piracy, stop it–but that’s the people making money off selling bootlegged copies and mass copying them. As recent history has proven, the MPAA and RIAA have great difficulty doing this, since the ‘real’ pirate profiting from selling and mass producing the bootlegs operate largely on a cash basis, so unless someone trips up and uses credit cards for large purchases, few if any red flags come up. It’s like when there was supposedly this ‘major bust’ I reported on, but only 1 guy was nabbed. It was obvious from the logistics behind the amount of equipment in the ‘office’ that was raided, that from the weight alone of all those duplicating towers, media spindles, etc., that it would have taken at least a dozen to have moved that stuff in any kind of expeditious manner (they were alleged to have moved the operation every 2 weeks). So it’s really sick when they have no required preponderance of evidence to make the accusation, but go after someone who might have downloaded a few crummy songs, and only on their computer. I’m not saying that’s right, but that’s not the kind of ‘pirate’ that’s doing the damage. Really, the most damage is being done by the industry’s own greed in price-fixing CDs to such high amounts in order to hopefully reap an outrageous profit that any ‘reasonable’ price is out the window. You can bet that if CDs were generally priced at $7.50 per single instead of $15-20 that many more people would buy them legally and the problem would be solved. The problem is that there’s no reasoning with the industry, because they live in their own reality and no one’s going to make them ‘see the light’ or otherwise change and stop what they’re doing.