Why the execution time for write-10 cdb is increased for BD-RE?

Hi,

I have a question on BD-RE burning. I found that for some test drives, when I do burning with write-10 cdbs, it will be increased per 32 or 30 or 31 clusters (one cluster includes 32 sectors). So I wonder if there is some property for BD-RE which I do not know but cause those issue. By the way this error would not occur for other medias.

Also this issue does not happen for write-12 cdb. Do you have some ideas about it ?

Thanks,

EG.

“Also this issue does not happen for write-12 cdb.”

E.G.

If the burn works for write12 it should work for write10. There is no difference
exept the Streaming bit and the size of the Transfer Length field.

Are you sure you’re putting 10’s transfer length value with the
MSB in cdb7 ? and not cdb6 like you do for 12 ?

You could also set the (WCE) Write Cache Enabled bit in the Caching mode page otherwise you might get some delays.

bilm

“when I do burning with write-10 cdbs, it will be increased per 32 or 30 or 31 clusters”

E.G.

I had another thought …

What size is your transfer length for a single write command ?
If you have a transfer length of one BD cluster (or larger) you must use Write12 because the transfer length field for write10 is WORD sized and will only hold 65, 535 bytes and a BD cluster = 65536 bytes (32 sectors).

This is also true for 32k write strategy on regular DVDs where the transfer length is one or multiples of an ECC block. If the transfer length for a single write command is 2 ECC blocks then you must use wrte12.

bilm

Thanks for your reply.

In fact both write-12 and write-10 cdb transferlength is 20h.

That is why I cannot understand what had happened.

By the way, I think WCE has happened for both of those two write cdbs.

Thanks.

Sorry for my temporary brain lock. I was thinking bytes not blocks for transferlength.

You say 10 works on some drives but not on others? If you set your 12 with cdb1 & cdb10 = zero does it work on the drives that do not work with 10 ? With those settings, 12 should act like 10 with cdb1 = 0.

We know from past experience that some manufacturers do not exactly follow the standards. Maybe the drives that do not work with 10 are requiring streaming for BD-RE ?

Are you getting any sense error returns when you use write10 ?
It might tell you something about the problem.

bilm

Drives automatically verify the ‘Write’ was successful unless spare areas aren’t available (the BD-RE was formatted without them) or Write 12 is used with the streaming bit set.

There is no sense error.

Also, I found the same problem happens for another BD-RE for write-12.

EG. “There is no sense error.”

Give us a little more information about the problem.
Is your write to disc operation successful ?
No data corruption ?

bilm

EG. “In fact both write-12 and write-10 cdb transferlength is 20h.”

Are these 20h (32dec) clusters or sectors ?

If 32 = sectors try increasing to 64.
If 32 = clusters definitely decrease to 1 or 2.
This might speed up your write execution time.

bilm

are the starting LBAs of these writes also aligned to 20h logical adresses?

if the BD-RE is formated with spare blocks (which is default afaik) and the surface is a bit dirty/scratched/… an alternation will occur which takes a long time