Why such big difference between 451S and 48161 KProbe scans?

During testing of some new burners I noticed a big difference in KProbe scans.

This one comes from LDW-451S:

And this from combo drive LTC-48161H (really, it’s the same medium!):

Burnt with LDW-451S/GSB6 on a fresh 4x DVD+RW (Verbatim, Code MKM A02).

Why is the scan result SO different and which tells more the truth about the quality of burning?

The writer will give you a more accurate report. The combo suffers the same scanning issues as the DVD-ROMs in that it 1) can’t set the read speed, so it’s reading at max and 2) doesn’t report errors as accurately as the writer. Combos/DVD-ROMs were never intended to be used to scan DVDs.

Originally posted by code65536
The writer will give you a more accurate report. The combo suffers the same scanning issues as the DVD-ROMs in that it 1) can’t set the read speed, so it’s reading at max and 2) doesn’t report errors as accurately as the writer. Combos/DVD-ROMs were never intended to be used to scan DVDs.

Indeed.
Have a read at the second last post in this thread for even further clarification.

Thanks for your explanations.

A conclusion from reading the “KProbe thread” is that my combination Liteon 451S/Verbatim DVD+RW should be a very good one because of the very low PI/PO rates. Because I want to use DVD+RW mainly for backup this is a good condition.

In a way the bad scan results from the combo drive do reflect reality because the combo drive has worse DVD reading capabilities than the burner. The medium shown in this thread is still readable in the 451S burner but not in the 48161H combo.