Why some media work for some and not for others

vbimport

Does anyone know why some disks work for some burners and not with others?

After all if the disk is good it should work for all, if bad it shouldn’t work anywhere.

With CD’s I was able to use any brand (even cheap ones) and never had problems, why are DVD’s having so many problems?

I would imagine blank DVD manufacturing is more difficult than CD-R production. Also take into account the speeds DVDs are burned at. 1x DVD read/write speed is about 9x CD read/write speed, so when you start getting into 8x, 12x and 16x DVD burning, the speeds are very high. Also, the drive manufacturers have to create their own write strategies for each DVD media code, so that’s why you will have some drives that burn the same media better than others.

Yup, burner and firmware affect things alot. However it is pretty clear that some manufacturers stand out from others with being highly compatible with burners, players, ect.

Yo-

Also consider the mindset of the firmware developers - like Sony is a promoter of +R medias and as I understand it their burners work best with the +R medias - whereas Pioneer is a promoter of -R medias and all their certified medias are -R’s and I understand that their burners do better with the -R medias-

Mike

This guy is so right.Excellent analysis.

Does that also have something to with the fact that Sony base their drives off Lite-On designs, which are +R oriented anyway? Also, what about LG, the biggest promoters of the -RAM format, ie. Panasonic’s followers. Panasonic are one of the biggest proponents of the -R/RW standard, yet LG drives do really well on +R media as well.

Yo-

My experience has been that good media will probably do well in any burner - however I have found that 8x -R media works best for me in both my 3500’s - and I believe that NEC was one of the original members of the -R promotional group which may explain why-

Mike

That’s odd, NEC started as a member of the +R camp (ND1000 / ND1100), then had a poor dual (ND1300).

It can also be down to which media the maker actually does the most testing with.

Also, there is the question of crossed variance - with well matched combinations, a degree of drive and media variance will still give a good result, while with other combinations, one or both need to have favourable tolerances.

Yup, NEC was a + format supporter originally. It wasn’t until the advent of the 1300A that they supported both formats and there never has been a - format only NEC drive but there were + format only NEC burners (ie 1100A). Anyways, my understanding is that the NEC does pretty well with both formats.