Why so many IDE Drive Reviews?

I am totally confused as to why so many of the reviews or recomended drives I keep seeing are IDE vs SATA?? I would assume SATA is faster then IDE, is it a reliability on the burning side reason?? I had a Samsung 203 SATA die after 6 months of use and Newegg cant replace as its no longer in stock. I want a reliable burner fast is very nice too.

We have many SATA drive reviews here at CDF (click the Reviews tab at the top of the forum). :wink:

Try an Optiarc 72xxS series drive - people here seem happy with theirs.

Yes I have seen that but I cant seem to find the 7200 drives.

I don’t remember cdfreaks reviewing on the 7200S only the 7200A, but you can find a lot of scans from all the 720x series.

Thanks Vroom I saw both those threads but again its the problem of finding the drive to buy. Most places I have checked seem to say 720Xseries is discontinued product or not in stock.

If you tell us where you live, maybe you get some more help from other members that live near you. btw, there is also a sony version of this drive, but i dont remember the name right know.

I’m in the US. I would appreciate it if you could remember Vroom :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jpinks;2193652]I am totally confused as to why so many of the reviews or recomended drives I keep seeing are IDE vs SATA?? I would assume SATA is faster then IDE, is it a reliability on the burning side reason?? I had a Samsung 203 SATA die after 6 months of use and Newegg cant replace as its no longer in stock. I want a reliable burner fast is very nice too.[/QUOTE]

Simple reason is: IDE/ATAPI is there since many years, SATA just appeared few years ago.

The Optiarc 720x series are being replaced by the 22x variants now, so it is unlikely to reappear. If you have a Fry’s nearby, Emprex usually rebrands the Optiarc drives, however, you need to check the actual white label stickered on the box since there are 2 versions: 7190S and 7200S. Otherwise, you’ll just have to do a search online or try eBay.

[QUOTE=chef;2194085]Simple reason is: IDE/ATAPI is there since many years, SATA just appeared few years ago.[/QUOTE]

I understand that but I didnt expect a prick response.

[QUOTE=KTL;2194187]The Optiarc 720x series are being replaced by the 22x variants now, so it is unlikely to reappear. If you have a Fry’s nearby, Emprex usually rebrands the Optiarc drives, however, you need to check the actual white label stickered on the box since there are 2 versions: 7190S and 7200S. Otherwise, you’ll just have to do a search online or try eBay.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that these drives didnt have a NEC chipset and were not of the same quality of the previous Optiarc drives??? Did I miss something?

[QUOTE=jpinks;2194231]I understand that but I didn’t expect a prick response.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that he was trying to be a prick and I’ll expand on his answer. Even after sata became main stream for hard drives, sata optical burners were not even available. IF I had to make a wild guess, optical drives had gotten so cheap, they didn’t want to spend the money to change (in fact some optical drive manufactures quit making them, with at least one major company saying, we just cannot compete). They have finally caught up (I think only since newer intel chipsets don’t even have pata). If you do some digging though, you will see that sata hard drives became mainstream a couple of years before sata optical drives did. You can even see it in oem computers. There are a couple of years worth of branded computers out there with sata hard drives and pata optical drives. Early sata controllers that worked fine with hard drives didn’t even work with optical drives (at least to the best of me recollection, there have defanatlly been some issues with early sata drives not working with sata controlers).

there are probably more pata reviews because there are a lot more pata drives, and if you include people that dont have new computers, many still use pata (and or may have controllers that have issues with sata optical drives).

ODDs are “wear and tear”…
//Danne

Well, you should do some more research then. With the exception of the 719x and 722x series, every NEC/Optiarc CD/DVD burner has the NEC chipset since the ND-1100A.

Yes thats what I meant. About 719x and 722x, but that seems to be all thats left at the vendors I have checked. What would be another good choice?? I wish Plextor still made the great drives of old. I had one last almost 6 years.

The probable reason behind the 719x-series is because NEC didn’t have a 20x chipset ready while other manufacturers were coming out with them. As for the 722x-series, NEC has gotten out of the optical drive business, so now it’s just Optiarc, which probably means no more NEC chipset development.

I still use my 203N daily +1,000 burns easily, I will miss it when it’s gone.

Why not try a Pioneer drive?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129032

Burns and Scan here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-216-d-xl-s16j-247332/