Why should I trust any Scanning Unit?

vbimport

Apparently, the highly-regarded Best Burners - often from Pioneer - have either designed in a non-scanner feature OR that the scanner-software has been purposely crippled so it can’t implement a Best Burner’s unit ability to Read/Scan. I don’t know which, though.

Do you?

Of course, my bigger question is,

Why should I trust any Scanning Unit?

Why should I trust an engineering staff who can’t design a Best Burner Unit but who can apparently design a Best Scanner unit?

I realize that Scanning is a simpler operation than Burning but is that the basis for trustworthiness of a Scanner Unit?

That sounds like “It’s so easy, even a child could design one!”

Or perhaps I should only consider Scanning Units for their comparative analytic offerings - that the Scanners may be good or bad, but they’ll be The Same over time and I can then trust Day 40’s scans compared to Day 795’s scans.

Is that why Scanning Units are ‘useful’? It’s not that we can trust their Scan Quality, but that their Scan Quality will be consistent over time?

The die-hard discscanning members gonna hate me for this,but IMHO,if a disc is burned succesfully,and verified succesfully,it’s an OK disc.
Many years ago,I followed the flock with K-Probe and other tools for my different burners until the day that I found out that a few cd’s (I don’t remember the MID)with a high % quality scan,had developed cd-rot…that was the end of my discscanning era…:eek:

Has industry ever cared about what the customer wants?:a
Why should we trust anything the industry offers?:wink:

Scanning can be annoying, when it leads to the avoidance of a batch of crappy blank discs or a new writer with half-baked firmware or a new product like LTH dics, so why should they implement or develop a scanning function?

Almost any scan of a burned blank disc which shows early deterioration :eek: shows why the disc has failed.

So You can either avoid supicious brands, mediacodes or batches from the start or believe, if a disc is burned succesfully, and verified succesfully, it’s an OK disc.

In case You watch the content once and never again after burning, it both works, otherwise make sure You have a backup on a different medium.:bigsmile:

Love and peace.:flower:

Roady, know why you mean.

Kat, “since when has the industry…” yes…the random quality of products that usually seems to deteriorate over a brand or model’s lifespan reveals only one loyalty - “Let’s bilk more money out of unknowing consumers” and “Let’s do everything we can to prevent consumers FROM knowing.”

I can’t understand how this ever helps an industry in the long-run. And as we see technologies (and all those assembly plants, all those assembly garages!) close up and consume more training and more re-equipment costs, I blame most of this on their treatment of the customer.

I don’t believe the DVD Industry is dying, by the way. Some companies are doing incredibly well selling their “made-to-order” DVDs or their speciality brands (Criterion), all the while the “commercial pressing” vendors claim “customers aren’t buying DVDs.” There are now 4 ‘new’ MOD companies when there used to only be 1. Gee - ever see a failing industry spawn MORE participants?

In reality, so many commercial-DVDs were no longer pressed, no longer available for sale. Gee - kinda tough to sell what isn’t there! But THAT wasn’t how their slogans were spun. This is all a Distributor’s Delight, though - they don’t care what’s on the shelves they’ve contracted for - they just want to move different product, not the same ones.

I don’t have much faith in scanning DVDs. At one time ( back in the old days of BenQ1620s and 40s) I would scan every disc I burned. I f the PI were over 500 they went into the trash. Now I just burn and watch the movie within a 6 month period. If it plays well I keep it, if not into the trash and I burn another. (that doesn’t happen but maybe 1 in 100 discs)
We will rent a new movie and if we like it I will burn it (I Know) then we will buy the movie and put it in the closet that has 8 or 900 discs in it. What a pita finding the new one if you need it. That is why I keep the rented copy on a hard drive for a year or so.

Ivan’s comment starts the other issue: “What do I do next, after scanning?”

For my video-DVDs, I have those catalogued by Titles with date-of-movie and other details - but all of these are Content Details. Not disk details. I couldn’t imagine doing data-entry for Batch, for Date Purchased, MID, etc. I couldn’t imagine spending that much time doing that data entry - and if I wasn’t going to do it for every disk, then why do it on any?

Because, if I scanned one in 4 years and saw it was deteriorating (as if I’d keep the scanned images, too, all catalogued and data-entered, as well), it would be nearly impossible for me to physically examine any substantial number of That Batch Burned On That Unit.

“So if I can’t ‘fix’ the batch that may be failing because of a Scan, then, uh, why am I scanning?”

Katrina and others have pointed out, “Scanning occasional new batches with the same old drive, OR scanning old batches with a New Drive” might illustrate Better and Worse possibilities.

Of course, these reasonable arguments circle back to my original question - “Why would I trust an engineer to design a Good Scanning Drive when he can’t design a Good Burning Drive?”

This thread is an interesting read…
While there are lots of burned media which still show good results over time, there are also plenty that deteriorated after a few years after their initial good result.
If you buy empty media,it’s interesting to measure the quality of the disc,but a high value means actually nothing more than a dye that’s very responsive to the laser beam ,however,when you read the above mentioned thread,it clearly shows that no program can predict the durability of the burned media,be it a high score or a mediocre score…
Instead spending my time on scanning,I bought Isobuster Pro…:wink:
Recovering media that went bad is a breeze…:bigsmile: