Why only DVD5

Still learning but…Im am starting to back up to my drive first and noticed that CLONEDVD using anyDVD running only allows DVD5 quality. Space is not an issue when moving to my drive so I want to retain all quality. That being said, I will eventually move to a DVD at which point I can compress or use dual layer.

Any suggestions on why I can retain full quality when using either function"copy" or “clone”.

Thanks

[QUOTE=hackmonkey;2276574]Still learning but…Im am starting to back up to my drive first and noticed that CLONEDVD using anyDVD running only allows DVD5 quality. Space is not an issue when moving to my drive so I want to retain all quality. That being said, I will eventually move to a DVD at which point I can compress or use dual layer.

Any suggestions on why I can retain full quality when using either function"copy" or “clone”.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

SHOULD HAVE BEEN, “Any suggestions on why I [B][U]CANT[/U][/B] retain full quality when using either function"copy” or “clone”."

You can do full quality with CloneDVD2 with AnyDVD running.
Where you set it to DVD5 use the pulldown to set it to DVD +/-R DL. It’s on the title configuration window.

Thank you very much.

Does the setting DVD +/-R DL change the type of output files? Are they still saving as VOB files? What am I changing by doing this?

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=hackmonkey;2276693]Thank you very much.

Does the setting DVD +/-R DL change the type of output files? Are they still saving as VOB files? What am I changing by doing this?

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
The only change is that the video bitrate won’t be reduced from the original. The dvd-5 dvd-9 selection just informs Clone of the target size for the disc you intend to burn to. You will get all the same vob files without reducing the video quality :iagree:. I use this regularly for full quality DL backups. In fact, if you don’t wish to remove any previews, etc. from the dvd, you can just right click on anydvd icon in task tray and select “rip video dvd to harddisk”.

The DVD +/-R DL setting is the equivalent of DVD9.So there should be no compression done.
I don’t think there would be any quality difference between CloneDVD2 or AnyDVD if you use it to rip as suggested by deanwitty

Thanks to everyone for the help. ~200 Gigs done, 1000’s more to go. THanks again.