Why no Lightscribe dual/double layer DVDs?

vbimport

I’m drawing blank with the negative replies from media manufacturers who don’t seem to think that Lightscribe media need this format.
Come on guys, ever heard of long movies?

Use printable DVD+R DL instead. :slight_smile:
LS is an expensive and complicated technology that also suffers from bad acceptance… :frowning:

I even find it hard to find good inkjet printalbe DVD+R DL discs
not very common.

Hi there - not sure whether there would be much of a need either. I like LightScribe for CDs, but it isn’t that great for DVDs due to poor image quality.
BTW - welcome to CDF: I’m also an ex Brit in TO (well actually Mis not TO) :slight_smile:

Got the following today from Lightscribe themselves:

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in seeing LightScribe extended to include the DL DVD format. We have received many requests for DL DVDs, and other than the obvious request for faster speed and color, it is our number one request from LightScribe customers. This information has been forwarded to the LightScribe media branders, but the response has been that the current DL DVD sales volume didn’t justify the development and logistics expense of offering this format. We will continue bringing this up at each opportunity.

If you have information that we can use to pursuade the branders to reconsider, please feel free to forward it. Also, I encourage you to continue your requests with the branders, or even rally an email barage. But keep in mind that the media branders are in business to make money, not give their products away or loose money in the process.

If you have further comments or questions, please feel free to send me a reply.

Best Regards,
Ket Archer

Obviously, too many other people have realized that LS is a slow, expensive, low-quality substitute for direct inkjet printing. :wink:

If you have information that we can use to pursuade the branders to reconsider, please feel free to forward it. Also, I encourage you to continue your requests with the branders, or even rally an email barage. But keep in mind that the media branders are in business to make money, not give their products away or loose money in the process.

If HP’s sales people think dual-layer LightScribe is good idea then shouldn’t HP be the first to offer such discs?

So, current sales don’t justify expanding the technology (colors, speed, etc).
They are kidding themselves if they think that they can justify current technology with sales, it’s just not there. There will never be a big enough market with what we have. Slow, expensive, inferior lightscribe technology. Why spend the money???

No if the quality was as good as inkjet, the cost was as low, the speed was as good, and it would last as long maybe.

I’m even willing to spend a little more, but give me a break, I can see if this is new technology, that eventually will be as good as inkjet. But it seems that the shortsighted MBA’s are going to kill this one… :Z

I’m willing to spend a few bucks extra for a lightscribe DVD writer.
I’m willing to spend a few bucks extra for lightscribe media.
I’m willing to wait a 1/2 hour extra to print the lightscribe media.
I’m willing to tolerate this media not lasting as long (not!!)
but I’m not willing to do all this for an inferior product to inkjet printable DVD’s.

And now they have the gall to say that the market doesn’t justify DL for lightscribe.

Yes, they are right, at this level of technology it’s not happening, I’m willing to spend time, and money to work with this new technology because in principal it appears good, but give me a break, this responce tells me that the product is no longer being developed unless sales justify the technology. So that tells me that the research money has dried up and the technolgy will eventually disappear because no one cares…

I wouldn’t say the technology is fading away because I have just spent 4 days on a stand at a show talking to people about lightscribe from 9am - 6pm.

Unless all those people were just a blip then people seem to be interested. Also had a lot of people say that they preferred the look of a lightscribe disc to an inkjet printed one, but then they were just photographers so what do they know :slight_smile:

“Interested” is one thing. “Willing to spend enough money to support the industry as well as new product development” is entirely different. Don’t take this as an insult, but people will stand around & watch someone stuff a bath towel thru his nose - that doesn’t prove they’ll buy the towel after he’s finished. :wink:

True, but they did buy a reasonable amount of stuff at the same time. No towels though :slight_smile:

I think you will find that a number people prefer not to use the printable discs as they think that everyone can do that, while a well done LightScribe disc is unique. It will only be a select market that will do this, but the technology will hold onto a certain niche market.

come on guys…

Don’t get me wrong, I like light scribe and think it has a lot of potential.

But…

It cost a lot extra for a lightscibe disc, which are hard to find.
It takes a lot longer to print a lightscribe disc…
A lightscribe disk is only black and white…
It has been report that a lightscribe disc fades more quickly than an inkjet printable disk.

So duh…

Why go lightscribe…

I’m willing to use this technology if it is moving forward…
I’m willing to pay extra for lightscribe discs…
I’m will to spend 1/2 hour printing a disc vs 2 minutes for inkjet…

I’m willing to do this if… the technology is moving forward…

But…

when i read this

[I]Hello Peter,

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in seeing LightScribe extended to include the DL DVD format. We have received many requests for DL DVDs, and other than the obvious request for faster speed and color, it is our number one request from LightScribe customers. This information has been forwarded to the LightScribe media branders, but the response has been that the current DL DVD sales volume didn’t justify the development and logistics expense of offering this format. We will continue bringing this up at each opportunity.

If you have further comments or questions, please feel free to send me a reply.

Best Regards,[/I]

I read that the technology is no longer driven by science but $$$$$

I think that the mba’s are taking control and that the technolgy is going to die…

And that no matter how hard HP pushes lightscribe… it will die because it’s not as good as inkjet printable, and more importantly… it will not become as good or better because now they are looking at profitability of lightscribe now, rather than what it can be in the future with more development…

Well…that MBAs are taking control or not, who knows, but don’t you agree that at the end companies have to make money and that while they are willing to invest in new technologies sometimes they also have to accept when a technology is clearly inferior to others already in place and therefore it’s better to quit or let it die?

I have been a lot of testing with both LS and Injet direct printing and injet is clearly superior at this time and LS at best could become equal, not superior. Think what would happen if:

• LS took 1-2 minutes instead of 25-30
  • LS had color
  • LS lasted longer
  • LS media was cheaper
  • There was LS with DL capacity

The result would be…inkjet!!!

So, I have to agree with this MBAs… :iagree:

I would like to see it coming for DLs. I rather use lightscribe than printing. Everyone that sees my lightscribe love it. I agree that 20+ minutes is a little too long, but i suppose if they improved it more people would be buying it. Besides, most of the people that use PCs do not know how to deal with the inkjets. Is much easier to misprint a inkjet than with the lightscribe. If they could add more colors, i am sure a lot of more people would be buying it. Every thing that i can do on 4.7 DVD i use the lightscribe.

Lightscribe for DL?
Who should produce them? Verbatim??

Why in the world would these not be made available? There is [I]absolutely[/I] consumer demand for Dual Layer Lightscribe CDs!! It doesn’t help that this poll is closed and doesn’t reflect this fact.
:Z

Inkjet may be seen as a better quality print, but that does not necessarily make it superior in every way! Inkjet is inefficient, and requires many expensive replacement cartridges - hooking the buyer into an endless reliance on a highly profitable scheme. Consumers demand more-efficient options, and would place their buying power behind companies that respect consumers’ concerns and options, rather than profit-motives trying to control the technology. Not producing these DVDs renders an otherwise excellent and efficient printing technology an insufficient option for anyone needing to produce anything more than an inferior compressed 4.7 GB DVD.

Welcome to CDF’s:

Supply and demand :disagree: There are printable Verb +R DL’s

I gathered that already when I posted back in February. I was hoping that someone had discovered I was wrong.

It’s unfortunate that my otherwise perfect Canon printer has no DVD printing capability.

Hello everybody,
This thread kind of puzzles me. I like using LightScribe, think the burn looks cool. You certainly can be more creative with a printer.
Anyway, what puzzles me is no one seems to be having a problem with a LS burner. My 3rd one just took a dump and I came here looking for suggestions for a non-LS burner. My ASUS DRW-1814BL lasted the longest, about 65 discs. Somehow I think the question of having a DL disc for something that is this unreliable puts the cart before the horse.
Is anyone using a LS for a couple hundred burns? If so, what model? Can someone suggest a better burner and what printer for printing the discs? Which is another fly in the ointment. Buying a new printer when I’m really happy with the one I have. LOL
Thanks for any comments and suggestions for a new DVD burner.

@[B]skoville[/B]: Your questions are off-topic for this thread. If you’d like comments and opinions about which new drive and printer to get, I suggest creating a new thread (or two new threads) with your questions.