Why isn't there a SUB-FORUM for PACKETWRITING software ? Nameproposal : PACKETING

vbimport

Yes ,

PACKETING

For all your questions and answers regarding packet-writing Software products

Maybe we users (who love and respect You moderators , really !)
would bestow upon us Your kind technomagic hand and endow us with a silly sub-forum for all the bewildered pack-of-people who may even wish to follow the new bright star called Arrowkey - YES ! I confess that in my heart I want to believe , I want to be accurate , I want to be an ACCU-BURNER now !!!

Shortly : Please give us a sub-forum for packet-writing software before I start a nasty poll on why you won’t give us one !

C 1
___C 2
______C U

Premium504A :cool: :smiley:

NB : Hey people , look what I’ve found …

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58142&highlight=packet+moderator

There isn’t a separate sub-forum because there isn’t sufficient “traffic” about packet writing to warrant it.

[In any case, practically every mod/admin recommends that you avoid packet writing like the plague. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: ]

Inertia CD Freaks Die Hard Registered: Jan 2002 Posts: 1345

At the risk of repeating other comments or the mods/admins confessions I will reiterate or add these observations:

Powers of elucidation and verbal analysis limited to “crap” in all of its variations (crappy, etc.). This misused and overused word adds nothing to an intelligent discussion. If Knowledge is Power, this is the language of the mental weakling. And no, I am not suggesting that they expand their vocabulary by using “suck, suckz, sucky, etc” instead.

Overbearing, arrogant, or hostile behavior by some, especially to new(er) members.

Endless and rude hammering on the “Search” as the simple answer to all questions. Sometimes using the search is difficult and inefficient. If the necessary search terms are not known or phrased properly it can be a time consuming and fruitless exercise. If a respondent really wanted to be helpful, he could suggest the search terms to use for the search and test this terms himself before posting it to see that it brings up the desired results. Excessive use of the “Search” answer indicates the same laziness that may be falsely projected on the questioner.

World’s Greatest Authority On All Things attitude, going on a tangent (off topic) to incompetently criticize a source that has an authoritative and comprehensive explanation of a subject.

Hypocrisy regarding illegal downloads, copy protection, etc. This takes the form of a “holier than thou” stance of moral superiority. The reason illegal links and hacks, etc. are not allowed on forums is that they will be closed if they don’t comply with legal requirements. Pressure from ISP’s due to complaints from software companies can close a site in no time and the operators know this. This doesn’t change what members are doing. They just can’t talk about it.

The need to be “right”. This forum is about enhancing knowledge. It is for seekers of knowledge, not a platform for rigidly dogmatic opinions. It is not a debating society where winning an argument is everything and it is impossible to change our minds and admit that the opposing position has merit and we have learned something. Admittedly, it is human nature to want to be right and we are somewhat competitive in that regard, but how do we learn if we are always already “right”. We can’t, because we are mired in an untenable position, and the overweening ego binds us.

Always having to have the last word. Rather childish, sort of like “shut up”, “you shut up”, “no, you shut up”.

Rigid, dogmatic, undescriptive opinions on hardware and software. Intel is wonderful, VIA is crap. Anybody that buys Plextor instead of Lite-on is crazy. Nero is wonderful, Sleazy CD Creator is crap. Packet Writing is crap. **** media is crap media. This black or white, love or hate world view is contradicted by millions of users who use the badmouthed products happily and successfully for their own reasons and requirements. In fact, a person who has proven unsuccessful in using hardware or software is the least qualifed person to give advice on how to use it and the last person who should be listened to.

On the other hand, to be fair, there are mods/admininstrators who are truly excellent. They are extremely knowledgeable without flaunting it, unfailingly patient, helpful, fair, courteous, and generally treat people in the same way that they would like to be treated. In my opinion, the most important attribute of a mod/admin is his demeanor, and not his knowledge.

moderator: Someone who mediates disputes and attempts to avoid violence.

Unfortunately, some moderators are better at disputing than mediating, and require a moderator themselves to handle their arguments.

Last edited by Inertia on 16-11-2002 at 04:44

Well , PhilAmber , You have to admit that You could just as well have answered me :

We don’t see sufficient “traffic” about packet writing , but maybe it would come if there was a sub-forum for packet-fans . Since we have a special sub-forum for CloneCD and Alcohol besides BW + CTCD/DVD we could in fact have one for all the packeting software . It might be a great idea and I don’t envy a nice man like You that You thought it out before me …
And we are very fond of Arrowkey’s other packet-diagnosting & -recovering products so they might have something …

I assure they do PhilAmber , but as a good scientist I will test their AccuBurn-r in the time to come . In the meantime I will put a link to Arrowkey and round up my comment on Your comment with a quote from their homepage :

Business records & reports…Digital photographs…MP3 files…Internet downloads

Analyzed and purchased by the EPA, U.S. Army, Raytheon, Arizona State University, and other corporations, institutions, and government agencies around the world. Check our client roster and testimonials, and you’ll see why AccuBurn-R is the right product for burning your data to CDs.

Accurately burns CD data. Guaranteed! Unlike other writing software, written data is checked for accuracy, and any errors are automatically corrected. This unique feature ensures that there is no lost data, no ruined discs or no user errors.

AccuBurn-R immunizes against foreign objects, media defects, dirt, scratches and other factors that cause recording problems. No other writing software offers this reliability feature.

No he won’t go away … http://www.cdrom-prod.com/ /accuburn-r.html

C 1
___C 2
______C U

Premium504A :cool: :cool: :cool:

NB : Hey people , look what I’ve found …

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread...acket+moderator

Originally posted by Premium504A
[B]Well , PhilAmber , You have to admit that You could just as well have answered me :

We don’t see sufficient “traffic” about packet writing , but maybe it would come if there was a sub-forum for packet-fans . Since we have a special sub-forum for CloneCD and Alcohol besides BW + CTCD/DVD we could in fact have one for all the packeting software . It might be a great idea and I don’t envy a nice man like You that You thought it out before me …[/B]

Yes, I could have answered you that way but the answer would have been false. :wink:

Your suggested answer is premised on the assumption that your suggestion hasn’t been considered. That assumption is incorrect. It has been considered but rejected.

However, the general Recording Software Forum is, of course, there and available for all questions and other posts about packet writing software. :slight_smile:

@Premium: First, packet writing needs to get safer, i.e. the software needs to be improved.

As long as such software kills randomly discs, it cannot be recommended to be used, regardless whether or not Inertia agrees.

If that software gets improved, and more widely used, it may be worth a sub forum one day. But not today, not tomorrow :stuck_out_tongue:

Accurately burns CD data. Guaranteed! Unlike other writing software, written data is checked for accuracy, and any errors are automatically corrected. This unique feature ensures that there is no lost data, no ruined discs or no user errors.
If you test it, please press reset during a write process (such as simulating a power loss). Data that has already been written should still be readable. If not (as with InCD or DirectCD), the software is baaaad

Originally posted by Premium504A
We don’t see sufficient “traffic” about packet writing , but maybe it would come if there was a sub-forum for packet-fans . Since we have a special sub-forum for CloneCD and Alcohol besides BW + CTCD/DVD we could in fact have one for all the packeting software .

actually, the subforums for alcohol / clonecd came BECAUSE they were popular, and generating enough traffic in other forums to warrant a special place for them. “if you build it, they will come” isnt / wasnt followed here. rather, “let them eat cake”.

@Premium504A

Are you willing to \Mod?

PM me or email me mynick@cdfreaks.com

Actually its a good Idea The Forum could have just two posts

(i)

Dont Use Packet writing <<>> but if u must dont come here wanting it sorted <> your CDRW/CDR is history

(ii)

This Thread/Sub Forum is closed

not that i’d have anything against the creation of a packet writing forum, but i’d have to agree with philamber and ckin2001 that such a forum would probably have little traffic. packet writing’s not specific enough that it doesn’t fall under general recording software, and it’s not popular enough that it requires its own forum. i rarely see posts on the subject.

737 posts mentioning

packet AND writing OR packet AND writer

…it is a worthwhile topic, it’s just that people go elsewhere. There are over 50,000 users in my organisation and we go to news groups for this sort of info. Inertia’s a bit of guru on it and so is alex (it’s crap!) but it takes effort and knowledge; like I said, anyone prepared to try? I’m not saying it’ll happen though.

[hope]

if we show more interest in this, software developers might consider making better packet writing software

[/hope]

I am testing the stuff now and I am willing to mod BUT only if one (or 3 …) of You are on it 2 !!!
I have a lot of work/research besides this so You have to give me an orientation-mail about the schemes & necesssities of being mod (or malkovich :bigsmile: ) .
What about Inertia , where is she ?

PS : I do include the reset tests but have You tested if a
multisession-CD is readable after resets , alexnoe ?

C 1
___C 2
______C U

Premium504A :slight_smile:

If you reset while burning a multisession disc, the former sessions are readable.

The session you were currently burning might be partially readable, or might be invisible.
Also, you might not be able to continue such a disc with any further sessions (i’ve had that behavior).

But I’ve not yet seen a multi session discs where formerly written data got lost because of a reset, power loss, or other bad thinks.

Yet You forgot to mention if this behaviour is limited to CD-R disks ! I assume You were only talking about CD-Rs …

Have You or other people any experiences with resetting the system while writing multisessions on CD-RWs and even more important DVD±R & DVD±RW ?

Come on , it’s only some wasted DVD±money , not a burner (I hope) ! :confused: :eek:

It seems to be the same for cd-r and cd-rw. I didn’t burn any mulitsession dvd disc so far.