Why is using high speed media and slow burn speeds such a mismatch?

vbimport

My readings here strongly suggest that recording high speed media (e. g. 48x rated) at slow burn speeds (<16x?) is an undesired mismatch.

If the CD-RW drive’s firmware is up to date, why is there still a problem? Does it manifest as increased c1 and / or c2 errors? Any part of a disc (e.g. 60+ minutes of 80 min disc?) where these problems would be most significant? Other than increased error rates, any other ways this mismatch would manifest itself?

Thanks in advance!

some ppl have suggested that it’s cuz the dye’s chemical reaction to the burning is optimal at higher speeds. i’d like to see some of the results of ur tests if u can share them.

My readings means reading the message boards here, not any independent testing.

Sorry about the confusion.

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=425722#post425722

I decided it was time to look more closely at this question.

Hi RDGrimes:

Thanks so much for the test results.

Any insight into why the error rate jumps so drastically after ~60 min. at the 4X burn speed?

Also, anyone had any problems with the old 16X Fuji CDRs?

Any insight into why the error rate jumps so drastically after ~60 min

That’s due to the read speed increasing near the end. That curve will decrease with lower read speeds. bu tit’s still indicative of a lower quality burn when compared to the other disc which has been read at the same speed.

Hi RDGrimes:

Mscience’s FAQ said that high quality recordings shouldn’t exceed 550 mb on a 74 min. CDR (http://www.mscience.com/faq55.html).

Do you think a similar, real world limit of ~600 mb exists for 80 min. CDRs?

Also, they say anything greater than 74 min. CDRs are compromised because they are out of orange book spec (tracks are too close together). Have you encountered any problems or seen any test differences because the 74 min.+ discs being “out of spec.”?

Do you think a similar, real world limit of ~600 mb exists for 80 min

That’s only applicable to audio players because some of them don’t track past 650MB/74min. some will not play 80min CDR’s regardelss of how much is burned on them. As for “quality”, there’s no difference between 80 min or 74 min CDR’s. Again, if you’re dealing with “ancient” drives/players that were built before 80 min CDR’s, that’s different. Most of today’s drives can handle more than 80 min on a CDR.