Why is there so much bad media and no public reaction?

vbimport

I would think with all this bad media the general public would be up in arms about it. How come only techno-geeks are the only ones who know about all the bad media?

I can only speculate that it is possible that until recently most people used CDs to burn audio and that when a disc had some bad sectors it resulted in popping and skipping and nobody paid attention. Some people backed up their computer to disc but few ever needed the backup files.

Now with DVDs on the scene more people will be putting their home movies and pictures on DVD. Maybe after enough people loose their precious memories the public will react and disc manufacturers will be forced to produce better quality:clap:.

I am just guessing at all this and would like to hear what you guys think.

IMO it is a matter of costs. Big stores sell media that will make them the most profit; even if the media is bad.

Given that media code (and often country of origin, as with Sony discs here in the UK) isn’t immediately apparent just by looking at the spindle/packaging - and as you say, only a minority of people know of that stuff anyway, the next thing other than cost would be brand as far as I can see.

“Average Joe” (or Josephine :p) often goes for brands that are well-established - you know, Sony, Philips, Maxell and others.

So price + brand I would say. Certainly the more casual user probably doesn’t know about Taiyo Yuden. :wink:

A majority of the people I know, don’t use discs… they have MP3 players for thier music, and they buy DVD’s or rent them so have no need to know how to burn or even what good media is … I am going away from discs as well and going to SSD …

this might explain some of what you may consider no public reaction… Maybe just not as many people are finding disc’s necessary now … I still have a portable cd player, that I cannot give away…
I can buy MP3’s online and load em straight to my ipod wannabe, so who really needs this type of media anymore?

Funny you should say that Soul, about not so many people using discs. My mum used to burn nothing but CDRs (she never got into the DVD R side of things), but these days she uses flash drives instead, she’s got quite a few - and has been saying the same thing you just said. :wink:

[QUOTE=~Soul~;2516864]A majority of the people I know, don’t use discs… they have MP3 players for thier music, and they buy DVD’s or rent them so have no need to know how to burn or even what good media is … I am going away from discs as well and going to SSD …[/QUOTE]

The only problem I see with that explanation is that when I go to Microcenter, they have an entire aisle for blank optical media.
Somebody must be buying a lot of this stuff.

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2517276]The only problem I see with that explanation is that when I go to Microcenter, they have an entire aisle for blank optical media.
Somebody must be buying a lot of this stuff.[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting…here where I live in the south-west of England, the two B&M places I mainly go to for media (Staples and PC World), the media selection seems to be getting smaller and smaller. And the blank media deals and offers are becoming less and less as well.

For transport, flash drives can’t be beat. As backup media, flash drives gradually go blank from lack of use, though (does anyone know how long it takes?). I’ve also had HDDs die, or their data get corrupted, just sitting on a shelf. Optical wins, here, and is cheap. Well, really, tape really wins, but that can get expensive.

But…I wouldn’t trust anything with Phillips, TDK, or Memorex beyond maybe 3 months. Actually, at this point, I won’t take Phillips or TDK at any price. I got lucky a couple years ago w/ some Memorex (Ritek F16 001), but I’ve had my fair share of low-grade CMC and such, too, with many coasters and barely-within-spec scans.

It is tricky to be sure you’re getting good media. That said, it appears the newer Verbatim rebrands are good grades of what they are rebranding, so Verbatim and Sony +R remain solid B&M choices; and specialty online stores generally keep a good selection of TY and Verbatim.

Where I am (SE US), the media selection has been fairly sparse since at least 2003. There’s no lack of stock on the shelves, and media disappears in a couple days when on sale (obviously people are buying and using the stuff), but the choices are narrow, and generally do not include much in the way of brands/series with a reputation for high quality.

Given how good modern CMC, Prodisc, and Ritek discs can be, while good archival media is certainly an issue, something to throw your photos on, or recovered files from somebody’s HDD, really isn’t a big deal. The minimum quality has generally risen, IME, even though finding The Good Stuff™ takes a little effort. If I just need some discs, I’ll pick up whatever is the cheapest between HP, Sony, Staples, or Office Depot brands–maybe even Memorex, when on sale.

I think people that have had good luck with brand X stick to it, and that’s about it. Today, decent brands tend to be, well, decent. If you have a poor backup/archival strategy, even TY and MCC could let you down. If you have a good one, decaying discs will tend to be a minor annoyance.

Around here the Walmart, Radio Shack, Walgreens, stores used to have a pretty good
selection of disc’s but now days it has shrunk down to not much only Memorex oops I
mean Memowrecks at the Walmart store with a very few Sony CDR discs left.

The other stores like Radio shack have a selection of Memowrecks and TDK DVD discs
and thats about it for them. The Walgreens store has a small selection of Sony DVD
and CDR discs along with some Memowrecks.

The only other store around here that has stocked Verbatim in the past year has been the
Big Lots store but they have been sold out of the Verbatim discs for quite a while and the
only thing they will carry constantly is the Phillips brand of DVD and CDR discs.

That is why I have to buy all of my DVD discs on line anymore and I’d be happy to pay a little
more to the stores around here if they would just stock the good stuff around here again.

[QUOTE=Cerbie;2517296]For transport, flash drives can’t be beat. As backup media, flash drives gradually go blank from lack of use, though (does anyone know how long it takes?)…[/QUOTE]

I know SSDs can go bad from multiple re-writes about 1000.
I never heard of them going bad just sitting there, unless it is the type of memory that requires battery power (there were some portable memory units that required batteries) but I do not think those are used in flash drives.

My guess is that most people will buy whatever is cheap and if a disc does not play properly they will reburn it until they can make one work, like my uncle, or my mother who thinks they’re all the same.

As for myself I am willing to pay the extra money to get some discs that I know will work properly throughout the whole spindle and still work a year down the road.

I have had people that want a bunch of DVDs made from a special event (wedding, birthday, ect.) I tell them I will make the copies if they buy the discs and tell them to buy Verbatim or Sony and they come to me with a pack of Memorex and say “Well they were half the price of the ones you told me to buy.” and I tell them the reason they are cheaper is because they are shit and may be unplayable next week.

Uh huh. You’ve described the typical 90-95% optical disc consumer. (the % is my own guesstimate - so sue me :p)

I’ve had spindles that still burn well over 2 years after I opened it… well probably because they’re well taken cared of (no moisture and UV light exposure). Talk about being anal. :wink:

[QUOTE=MrPete1985;2518931]I have had people that want a bunch of DVDs made from a special event (wedding, birthday, ect.) I tell them I will make the copies if they buy the discs and tell them to buy Verbatim or Sony and they come to me with a pack of Memorex and say “Well they were half the price of the ones you told me to buy.” and I tell them the reason they are cheaper is because they are shit and may be unplayable next week.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

They learn a little faster after their most precious memories won’t play after the 1st month, believe me. LOL.

[QUOTE=MrPete1985;2518931]My guess is that most people will buy whatever is cheap and if a disc does not play properly they will reburn it until they can make one work, like my uncle, or my mother who thinks they’re all the same.

As for myself I am willing to pay the extra money to get some discs that I know will work properly throughout the whole spindle and still work a year down the road.

I have had people that want a bunch of DVDs made from a special event (wedding, birthday, ect.) I tell them I will make the copies if they buy the discs and tell them to buy Verbatim or Sony and they come to me with a pack of Memorex and say “Well they were half the price of the ones you told me to buy.” and I tell them the reason they are cheaper is because they are shit and may be unplayable next week.[/QUOTE]

Spot on IMO :iagree:

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2518921]I know SSDs can go bad from multiple re-writes about 1000.
I never heard of them going bad just sitting there, unless it is the type of memory that requires battery power (there were some portable memory units that required batteries) but I do not think those are used in flash drives.[/QUOTE]

I could find absolutely nothing to back up this statement either Klawdek… and yes Flash drives can go bad after 1000 or so rewrites( so I have read anyways) … but that’s a heck of a lot of rewrites, and if you are using them for storage, I doubt they will ever see that kind of use…

And if the Flash has a built in MP3 player that requires batteries then if the batteries die * if it is a cheap drive* you may lose your info… at least so I have read … I have 4 now and they are of different types, 2 are battery/MP3 players which I have been using for 3 years now, and you can easily change batteries or leave them without batteries for months as I have and my music/apps are still there… so I dunno where yer getting this “information” from Cerbie

That’s interesting…here where I live in the south-west of England, the two B&M places I mainly go to for media (Staples and PC World), the media selection seems to be getting smaller and smaller. And the blank media deals and offers are becoming less and less as well.

I am seeing the same thing here, you almost have to squint to find the media in some of the places I used to get great deals from… I see no great deals anymore from them, and I haven’t seen any new media in some time now…

Once the large SSD’s come down in price I will be getting rid of my spinner HDD’s as well They are nearly as fickle and even older tech than the DVD/cd discs are

[QUOTE=Arachne;2516873]Funny you should say that [B]Soul[/B], about not so many people using discs. My mum used to burn nothing but CDRs (she never got into the DVD R side of things), but these days she uses flash drives instead, she’s got quite a few - and has been saying the same thing you just said. ;)[/QUOTE]

So are you saying I am old enuff to be yer parent? :sad::eek:

[QUOTE=~Soul~;2519045]So are you saying I am old enuff to be yer parent? :sad::eek:[/QUOTE]

Hey if the cap fits…Dad. :bigsmile: :flower:

[QUOTE=~Soul~;2519043]
Once the large SSD’s come down in price I will be getting rid of my spinner HDD’s as well They are nearly as fickle and even older tech than the DVD/cd discs are[/QUOTE]

I think once SSDs come down in price they will replace discs altogether.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2519080]Hey if the cap fits…Dad. :bigsmile: :flower:[/QUOTE]

Hey, you show some respect fer yer elders you young whipper-snapper you :wink:

*or I won’t tell ya if the Irish Creme Cataccino is any good or not :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=~Soul~;2519174]Hey, you show some respect fer yer elders you young whipper-snapper you :wink:

*or I won’t tell ya if the Irish Creme Cataccino is any good or not :p[/QUOTE]

Gasp :sad:

We’d better get back on topic, before I earn anymore threats :stuck_out_tongue: (EDIT: and possibly have my pocket-money stopped…:bigsmile: )

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2519171]I think once SSDs come down in price they will replace discs altogether.[/QUOTE]

I know I would rather have my files on SDD’s takin up maybe a foot of shelving instead of the 18’ of shelving that is currently being taken up by my discs now.