Why is Plextor considered the best?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Plextor PX-716A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve heard that Plextor has the best burners out there. Can someone tell me why that is? Is it the speed? Software/ Firmware? People have raved about the older drives (Px-716A, PX-755SA, PX-760A/SA), but not so much the newer drives (PX-800A, PX-810SA). Any feedback would be helpful. thanks.

I think Plextor is the biggest fan of Plextor drives…they sure are proud of their rebadged drives that sell for double or more than what you can get the OEM drives for. The older drives you listed are/were excellent drives, but I could never justify the extra cost when I can get a great drive else where for a fraction of the price.

But to answer your question I would say why most favor Plextor is due to burn quality, reliability and perhaps the software (Plextools), I’m not sure how good the support is as far as firmware goes.

[QUOTE=tin288;2095187]I’ve heard that Plextor has the best burners out there. Can someone tell me why that is? Is it the speed? Software/ Firmware? People have raved about the older drives (Px-716A, PX-755SA, PX-760A/SA), but not so much the newer drives (PX-800A, PX-810SA). Any feedback would be helpful. thanks.[/QUOTE]

When you check my sig you see I have one ot two Plextor drives :smiley: (ok maybe three drives :stuck_out_tongue: )

Plextor drives (I’m only talking about real Plextor drives are not bad drives, for me Plextor drives are really good. But I’m sure there are better burners if you only see the result of the burn. For example my Samsung SH-S202N and my Pioneer 115 makes also very good burns, and this drives did not cost the half of the Plextor drives. I guess there are more good drives out. Also the older BenQ drives were really good and are quality scan capable. Also the firmware support was very good in the past for the real Plextor drives…
The real Plextor drives have a few nice addons like reliable Quality check, Autostrategy (the PX-716 and PX-760 series), PoweRec, VariRec and GigaRec. This features are as far as I know in no other drive than the real Plextor drives. The real Plextor drives have also a nice Software for Quality checks (unfortunately not bug free and not supported anymore).
The newer Plextor drives (PX-800A, PX-810SA and PX-820A/SA) are no real plextor drives. Only the name Plextor is printed on this drives. Plextor does not make any own developments anymore. There was an annoucement by Plextor in January 2007 if I remember correctly.

You will find a list of true Plextor drives in my signature linked. If you are looking for a good reliable CD burner you can check out if the Plextor Premium II is something for you. It seems like this drive is still in production. A few forum users reported “Made in Japan” Pemium II drives produced in 2008…

Basicly:

You put it almost any dvd, and it will burn very well…

Also, Overburn ( some users did burn 4650MB:eek:).

Great burns on DL ( my 716 is imbatible in this media ).

Great quality of the material and resistence…( even now, my unity is having some problems…:sad::sad: )