Why is my LG GSA-4167B writing so slow?

vbimport

Hey folks, I got the LG GSA-4167B drive a couple of weeks ago and just recently had time to start burning some discs with it. The problem is the drive writes incredibly slow.

When I try to burn a regular data DVD with the latest Nero (v7.0.8.2) it can’t write to the discs with the certified speed, not even close. I tried burning in x16 and x8 but in both cases the speed just shuffles between x2.4 to x4.5 on average. Rarely it may achieve x7 or x8 for a few seconds and then go back down to x3 or x4. This is incredibly annoying because every DVD takes 25-30 minutes to burn and that’s unacceptable.

My drive is DMA’d of course, hooked up to the Secondary alone as Master and the firmware I’m using is DL11. I really don’t want to upgrade to DL12 or DL13 because of that damn riplock LG introduced, and since I rip a lot of DVDs, ripping at x5 is not acceptable.

I’m aware of the Dangerous Brothers hacked DL13 firmware which allows for much faster ripping, but this is really a last resort for me since I don’t want to void the warranty.

I’m using Verbatim x16 Photo-Printable MCC 03RG20 made in India and a few CMC ones made in Taiwan. Both clearly support x2, x4, x8 and x16 according to DVD Identifier.

Any ideas on what I could do to improve the writing speed? Will I have to upgrade the firmware?

If your DMA is OK then what about defragging your HD as this can have a major influence on burning speed. If the read buffer fluctuates wildly then this could be the cause.

Correct IDE cable used?? Must be the 80 way type.

Not so. It’s recommended & I always fit them but not essential.

Not true. This drive is a UDMA2 device. A 40 wire cable is sufficient to burn at 16x for that.

Well, I defragged my HD and tried burning some more DVDs but to no avail. The problem persists.

I have even tried burning some of my reserve Taiyo Yuden media, but again the writing speed fluctuates between x3-x4 on average. I tried it in Nero and Alcohol 120% and the results were the same.

This is driving me crazy… what could be the problem? Will I have no choice but to upgrade the firmware? I mean, if I have to do it, I will, but will it address this slow writing problem?

Try doing a burst rate test with Nero CD Speed. You need to have a DVD disc which has already been written to in the drive when you do this. You can’t use a blank disc for that.

Also, are you using nVidia IDE drivers?

Well, a burst rate test returned the following result:

Starting Burst Rate Test…
Interface Burst Rate: 26MB/sec (26351 KB/sec)
Elapsed Time: 0:02

And no, I’m not using nVidia IDE drivers.

I have attached below a Nero InfoTool text file to see if it could help others to determine the problem.

DMA is not enabled for your HD. That could well be the root cause of this slow burning. Running in PIO mode it won’t be able to deliver the data fast enough for anything above 4x burning.

Well, just damn… I could’ve sworn I DMA’d my HD, but I guess not. Sometimes the simplest solutions are right in front of you… :o

Anyways, that did the trick, thanks a lot Tim! :bow:

And there was us concentrating on the burner which is usually at fault.

Glad it’s all OK now.

Hi falks. I have the same problem. But i cannot activate dma. Goes back in pio mode. two weeks no problem. After this my burner writes only under 2x. I changed the cables, i reinstalled the drivers for ide channels. nothing. my mb bios settings are ok. maybe i have to return the unit.

[QUOTE=TimC;1372499]DMA is not enabled for your HD. That could well be the root cause of this slow burning. Running in PIO mode it won’t be able to deliver the data fast enough for anything above 4x burning.[/QUOTE]
hi ı have one too and running on win 7 ,need that dMa is enabled for my hd.and on windows 7,’ writing for 4x to maxell 16x dvd-r blank ’ why? problem in dvd rw?

pls help me if possible quickly

[QUOTE=spinout;2534613]hi ı have one too and running on win 7 ,need that dMa is enabled for my hd.and on windows 7,’ writing for 4x to maxell 16x dvd-r blank ’ why? problem in dvd rw?[/QUOTE]

You have used low quality media, therefore the firmware forces the drive to burn SLOW. You can be happy that it does so, otherwise you would have a bunch of coasters…

Are both the HDD and the optical drive in DMA mode for real??