Why is my computer taking 90 minutes to burn DVDs?

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S223B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Somebody save me from throwing my computer against a wall. I have a system that I use for dvd duplication. It has a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard, with an AMD Core 6400+ (64-bit) processor running at 3.21GHz. The OS is XP Home. I have 4 gigabytes of Crucial RAM installed. I have (4) Samsung SH-S223l SATA dvd burners installed, and a 500GB IDE Western Digital hard drive.

When I burn one or two dvds simultaneously, burn times are normal, about 6-7 minutes at 12x. When I attempt to burn 4 discs at the same time, it takes over 90 minutes. This shouldn’t be. It’s very frustrating. I have tried versions 6, 7, and 9 of Nero Burning Rom. Nothing changes. Can anyone shed some light on this?

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S223B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Somebody save me from throwing my computer against a wall. I have a system that I use for dvd duplication. It has a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard, with an AMD Core 6400+ (64-bit) processor running at 3.21GHz. The OS is XP Home. I have 4 gigabytes of Crucial RAM installed. I have (4) Samsung SH-S223l SATA dvd burners installed, and a 500GB IDE Western Digital hard drive.

When I burn one or two dvds simultaneously, burn times are normal, about 6-7 minutes at 12x. When I attempt to burn 4 discs at the same time, it takes over 90 minutes. This shouldn’t be. It’s very frustrating. I have tried versions 6, 7, and 9 of Nero Burning Rom. Nothing changes. Can anyone shed some light on this?

@ macksamillion,

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you ensured that [B]ALL[/B] your IDE Devices are operating in the DMA Mode?

Suggest reviewing the CDFreaks CD and DVD Burner Forum Read First posting titled “Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616).

Also suggest reviewing the CDFreaks Rules (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/announcement-rules-forum-some-tips-guidelines.html) and note the comments concerning ‘Cross Posting’. You have posted the exact same posting in both the General Hardware Forum and CD/DVD Writer Forums.

Regards,
bjkg

Your probably overloading the memory and SATA bus trying to shove all that data onto 4 drives at once. I have done up to 6 burns at once but GENERALLY the same sorta thing happens as the system just can’t provided data fast enough at close to full speed per burner to keep up and they all start getting buffer underuns and slow down waiting for data.
Usually if I slow the burns down to 8x or so it helps a bit. I usually don’t try to do more then 2/3 at once now becuase of that, but I think usually mine ends up taking about 20 minutes or so when pushing it that hard.
You might want to double check that all drives are set at their fastest supported DMA mode and that Nero is up to the task for you as well. I’m sure others will jump in with more ideas for you but that’s my take so far from what I’ve done.