Why is Liteon "so good?"

vbimport

I have just returned a Ulead and a Plextor video capture card because the quality of their picture capture is noticeably worse than the Liteon 5005 and 5065 that I have.

Does anyone know the exact technical reason for this?? If so, I would like to replicate whatever the distinction is on my computer. Those programs can produce very good pictures but they do so by using alot more disk space than does the Liteon. I have heard the Liteon produces a “soft focus” picture. If so, it certainly is what I prefer but I wonder if it is something else specific that can be looked for.

Any ideas—((and my apologies to those folks that get out of synch or green pictures==I haven’t run into that, I’m totally happy witht the liteons except maybe for limited disk compatibility.)) I’m assuming it is a proprietary filter of some type–but don’t really know.

Thanks. bobbo.

Wow - did not know Plextor and Liteon made such devices!

Well, I spoke quickly thinking “those in the know” would be flexible in their understanding.

The plextor is their external USB Divx certified box==not really a card, Ulead was a pci card, and the Liteon’s of course are set top units.

Main point is, the Liteons produce a near TV quality image at their lowest settings (VCD 352 x240 at 1150kbs) allowing for 6hr20min per dvd. The other computer based solutions don’t match the same picture quality until about 2000 kbs is reached and it is “ok” but still noticeably inferior but atleast you do have to pay attention.

All units present a quality pass thru image so its not the tuner==its the encoder that appears to be the main difference. Given the computer solutions only have to produce the tuner and they even cost more than the stand alone units, I would have thought the computer cards would have procuded a better image===but they don’t. I’m just wondering why.

Actually, I’d heard LiteOn was orginally known for making computer drives, not for stand-alone devices.

I suppose you could look into getting a LiteOn computer drive and use that?

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/e_index.asp

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_product/e_dvd%20rw.asp

Actually LiteOn makes just about everything.
I snatched this list from their webbie so dont blame me for the engrish

• PC Bare Bones/System
  • PC Motherboard
  • Power Supply
  • PC Enclosure
  • Monitor
  • Optical Storage Device
  • Keyboard/Mouse
  • Scanner
  • MFP/Printer
  • Digital Projector
  • PDA
  • MP3 Player
  • Digital Camera
  • Tablet PC
  • Mobile Handset
  • Modem
  • ADSL Modem
  • Ethernet/Switch/Hub
  • Wireless Network
  • Bluetooth

Plus tons of small semiconductor trinkets

I think leaglebob is talking about this:
http://www.plextor.com/english/products/ConvertX2howmuchfitsonadisc.htm
which has hardware MPEG1,2 and MP4 DiVX encoding up to 35 hr/single layer DVDR.

I don’t think most owners here are familiar with this product as there are only 2 or 3 DiVX capable recorders right now. It would be interesting to put 35 hrs on a DVDR but I am sure the quality would suffer a little - although I have to say some MP4s produced by Nero (Vision Express) is VCD type quality even at low bit rate and there are some Nero Digital certified MP4 DVD players coming out.

PX-M402U, PX-TV402U(PC) and PX-TV402U(Mac)

• Specifications • Advanced Technical
Specifications • How Much Fits on a Disc? • DivX® Information • Box Contents • Firmware Upgrades • ConvertX Product Comparison
• Online Product Registration

How Much Fits on a Disc?

Different video formats compress video at different rates. This means that how much video you can store on a piece of media depends on the format you choose. Most video formats also allow you to choose different quality setting. In the video world, quality is set by adjusting the “bit rate”. A higher bit rate means higher quality but also larger file sizes. A lower bit rate means lower quality but smaller file sizes. The chart below shows approximately how much video can fit on several popular digital media storage products.
Disc Storage Capacity
Format 	
File Size (Per Minute)
	Flash Media (512 MB) 	
CD-R (700 MB)

Recordable DVD (4.7 GB Single Layer)

Recordable DVD (8.5 GB Dual Layer)
MPEG-1/VCD 	
10.3 MB

50 Min

1 Hr 6 Min

6 Hrs 57 Min

12 Hrs 57 Min
MPEG-2/DVD (High Quality) 	
46.7 MB

11 Min

15 Min

1 Hr 32 Min

2 Hrs 51 Min
MPEG-4 (High Quality) 	
31.7 MB

16 Min

21 Min

2 Hrs 15 Min

4 Hrs 12 Min
DivX Home Theater (Highest Quality) 	
31.7 MB

16 Min

21 Min

2 Hrs 15 Min

4 Hrs 12 Min
DivX Portable (High Quality) 	
16 MB

32 Min

43 Min

4 Hrs 28 Min

8 Hrs 20 Min
DivX Handheld (High Quality) 	
2 MB

4 Hrs 16 Min

5 Hrs 40 Min

35 Hrs 50 Min

66 Hrs 40 Min

*The amount of video may very based on selected bit rate, frame size and disc capacity.

Yes thrunner that is the Plextor unit.==More expensive than the Liteon5005 which is a stand alone unit and gives a better picture. Before I bought the unit and was “paying attention” I think I read somewhere that the Plextor had a 12 bit video encoder and the Liteon only had a 9 bit. I tried to confirm any of this with their respective tech staffs and no one knew this detail nor any other detail that would explain the quality of their captured pictures. They all said their own products were “great.”

After watching slow action scenes recorded==the Liteon is superb at 1150kbs while Ulead pvr 2000 and the Plextor both showed “cabbage” effects at 2000 kbs. These went away totally at about 3000 kbs=. I wonder if this is a common feature of stand alone units?

I saw a Acer or Apex 40 GB harddrive unit for $119 which would make a great 3rd machine for recording “if” the capture software, filter, anti jitter, soft focus or whatever it is is as good as the Liteons. Have to find a local machine to make the return easy if its not up to snuff.

Bad thing about New Egg is their restocking fee. $26 to return the Plextor unit==but worth it as I really won’t use it.

Any other specific/technical details why a stand alone would work better than the computer based cards?? AND==why are all the reviews of these cards done at the high bit rates where they all perform above our ability to see differences? Why not test at the bottom of the scale where we all live trying to save on media costs?