Why is Christmas called Xmas?

vbimport

Christmas season is here…and I was wondering…why do people also call it Xmas?

Is it because “X marks the spot”, the spot where all family members gather so they can be shot in one go for being so annoying?

Is it because X represents the cross that Jesus was nailed to?

Is it because X represents nothing or void of all contents, because Christmas, since many years, is all about money and not about the spirit of kindness towards each other and peace on earth?

Is it because it represents ‘trans’, spreading the mas all over the place (like many other diseases)?

Is it because it represents “ex-”, like the ex-wives you are trying to forget?

I don’t know anymore…should I worry?

Yes, I know the the official reason, but that is no fun

Yo

Yo Tax-

Plain and simple - it’s called LAZY-eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2477130]Yo Tax-

Plain and simple - it’s called LAZY-eh!![/QUOTE]

That was my first thought as well. :iagree:

If I use X-Mas, it’s because I literally have no room to write the full “Christmas”. (I had to do this when making cards this year; I wrote so darn much, by the time I had to say “Have a merry Christmas!” I had no room). Otherwise, I’ll write it out*.

*: Unless I’m in a rush. I also wrote it this year because I was in a rush to leave school…I left sticky notes on people’s doors to wish them happy holidays, but I pretty much had no time to completely write “Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas”. It got shortened to “Merry X-mas”.

It is laziness as posted above.
I think using the X comes from the expression crisscross.The cross is just taken out of it.
Leaving criss which is a homonym for Chris.
I personally don’t use it & consider it kind of an insult when someone does.
Next thing people will be spelling Christian as Xtian.To me it’s the same difference .
So don’t take Christ out of Christmas after all it is the celebration of His birthday.

[QUOTE=Albert;2477135]If I use X-Mas, it’s because I literally have no room to write the full “Christmas”. (I had to do this when making cards this year; I wrote so darn much, by the time I had to say “Have a merry Christmas!” I had no room). Otherwise, I’ll write it out*.

*: Unless I’m in a rush. I also wrote it this year because I was in a rush to leave school…I left sticky notes on people’s doors to wish them happy holidays, but I pretty much had no time to completely write “Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas”. It got shortened to “Merry X-mas”.[/QUOTE]

Good point (that I hadn’t considered) - perhaps it’s not always laziness after all :slight_smile:

My reason for writing “Christmas” instead of “Xmas” is pretty simple…Christmas is the whole word so I’ll write the whole word. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also…just doesn’t seem right (for me) shortening the word. :slight_smile:

i blame it on some illiterate gay bender :stuck_out_tongue: or some lazy coporate fatcat :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2477156]Also…just doesn’t seem right (for me) shortening the word. :)[/QUOTE]
Part of it’s respect, I’d imagine. But I bet part of it’s “color” versus “colour”, “favorite” versus “favourite”, and “neighbor” versus “neighbour” (amongst many others) all over again, innit? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2477162]Part of it’s respect, I’d imagine. But I bet part of it’s “color” versus “colour”, “favorite” versus “favourite”, and “neighbor” versus “neighbour” (amongst many others) all over again, innit? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
its cos were lazy :stuck_out_tongue: and hi modbert :stuck_out_tongue:

idk.
brb.

Well my S/Os initials are MAS so she honors this time of year by signing the Credit Card slips with her initials…X[U] MAS .[/U]…:flower:

I learn in the schooling that some consider the word “Christ” to be offensive so they call it Xmas to not upset them.

[QUOTE=SubZero;2477606]I learn in the schooling that some consider the word “Christ” to be offensive so they call it Xmas to not upset them.[/QUOTE]

[B][Begin rant][/B]

I could care less if they are offended by the word Christ it offends me that they are
offended of Christ. :a I say if they are so offended and get all that upset to live in a
country and around people that say Merry Christmas then just move to a Communist
country or go back home to their own country that doesn’t believe in Christ. :rolleyes:

We have given up enough of our rights and freedoms for the so called offended people
like taking prayer out of schools and not displaying the 10 Commandants in any goverment
places and to top it all off even some of the towns here in the USA have banned playing
Christmas songs so no foreigners or any atheists gets offended. :a :a :a

I for one will not give up my GOD given right to say Merry Christmas by saying Xmas or by
just saying Happy Holidays or play and/or sing Christmas songs if I so feel like it.

So I say to anyone that is offended by my saying God or Christmas or by my playing/singing
Christmas songs is get a life or get out of the country. :iagree:

[B][End rant][/B]

[B]Now with a singing voice like mine it would probably offend a deaf person. LOL!!! [/B] :bigsmile:

Please do not turn this into a religious thread…that always turns bad…same for political…

Please keep it lighthearted, as it was intended…

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2477799]Please do not turn this into a religious thread…that always turns bad…same for political…

Please keep it lighthearted, as it was intended…[/QUOTE]

Sorry Da_Taxman I didn’t mean to get so heavy into my rant but it just really irks the
@#%*^ out of me when the school systems in the country has the gall to tell the kids
not to say the word Christmas. :rolleyes: :confused:

Why don’t we all eat, drink and be happy :bigsmile:

Only thing missing here’s the snow…bah LOL :wink:

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2477799]Please do not turn this into a religious thread…that always turns bad…same for political…
Please keep it lighthearted, as it was intended…[/QUOTE]

This topic from its’ start is one that will cause religious discussion.
I will never understand why a religious topic can’t be discussed without flaming.
My perspective is as a Christian & US citizen because that’s where I live
& know the most about.
Christians & our religion seems to be the one it is supposed to be OK to take a shot at & we’re supposed to take it.
I think this comes from the “turn the other cheek” scripture.Read it carefully it doesn’t say not to strike back while “turning the other cheek”.
Take cases by the ACLU name one where they took the Christian side.There may be some I haven’t heard of as the ACLU usually takes cases against Christians.
I have seen 3 network TV shows lately where the fact that the day Christmas is celebrated is NOT the correct birthday of Jesus.I know that is true & I think many Christians do.The early Catholic church in an attempt to bring heathens in made a day near the winter solstace the Christ mass.
The exact date is not in the Bible.The correct day is most likely some day in late September to early October.
Hollywood got it wrong on two of the shows one said it was in summer twice & the other said spring.The point is where does Hollywood get off correcting Christians on the date.They would not do this to other religions although they do take a shot at Judaism & Hindu’s occasionally.Even then I haven’t seen a correction of their doctrine done.
So if I say Merry Christmas to you just say it back.If your not a Christian just say thank you or if you want to tell me your religion is something else.
When I say Merry Christmas I’m not usually trying to proselytize.
Although proselytizing is a major part of Christian doctrine.
If you are a Christian & don’t think it is ask a minister of your denomination.
So when I give you a Merry Christmas said or written don’t give me a merry xmas back.I would rather have a bah humbug or be completely ignored than that.
The best would be a Merry Christmas back where you beleive it or not.

MERRY  CHRISTMAS

Merry Christmas Everyone

Now lets Eat, Drink and try to be Happy :iagree: :smiley:

Guess I was naive in thinking to post a little Christmas fun…but now religion has come in to play, I am going to shut this playground…

I agree with bean55, Merry Christmas and I hope everyone enjoys whatever they make of it.