Why is archival grade media DVD-R

So far I have fount only 2 manufacturers that make archival grade media, Verbatim and JVC Taiyo Yuden. Both are DVD-R and both have a hard coating. Why are they DVD-R instead of DVD+R. DVD+R is suppose to be better.

Is there any other manufacturers that makes archival grade media with this hard coating? I bought the Verbatim AZO DVD+R disc because I thought they were the best. Looks like I was wrong. They should still be about the next to the best for backing up.

I will be switching over to the hard coating disc for backing up. I will not be using the Verbatim UltaLifeâ„¢ Gold DVD-R disc though because of their price. Have you seen how much more they cost than the JVC Taiyo Yuden archival grade disc?

[QUOTE=dreadd;2658881]So far I have fount only 2 manufacturers that make archival grade media, Verbatim and JVC Taiyo Yuden. Both are DVD-R and both have a hard coating. Why are they DVD-R instead of DVD+R. DVD+R is suppose to be better.

Is there any other manufacturers that makes archival grade media with this hard coating? I bought the Verbatim AZO DVD+R disc because I thought they were the best. Looks like I was wrong. They should still be about the next to the best for backing up.

I will be switching over to the hard coating disc for backing up. I will not be using the Verbatim UltaLifeâ„¢ Gold DVD-R disc though because of their price. Have you seen how much more they cost than the JVC Taiyo Yuden archival grade disc?[/QUOTE]
There are other options. Where are you located?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2658884]There are other options. Where are you located?[/QUOTE]

In the USA

I’m not sure where you saw TY archival cheaper than Verbatim archival, but here are typical prices on the top 3 100 year plus DVD-R.

As you can see, its about $4.00 ea. TY, $1.90 ea. Verb, $1.10 ea. Falcon.

Verbatim UltraLife Gold Archival Grade 8X DVD-R Media 50 Pack in Cake Box $96.99

JVC Taiyo Yuden Hardcoat Silver Lacquer Printable 16X DVD-R Media 100 Pack in Cake Box (JDMR-ZZSB16-HC) $35.94

That JVC media is not actually in the same archival league as the three that I posted. TY are one of the longer lasting regular DVD-R you can get. But they have been using that word “archival” as a marketing gimmick for a bit. The best archival DVD-R, like those JVC, Verb, and Falcon are rated 100+ year. If your biggest concern is getting the hard coat and you only need a disc that is one of the longer lived regular DVD-R, there’s certainly nothing wrong with the TYs.

Interesting little tidbit. While those platinum DVD-R tested similar to Gold DVD-R in normal accelerated aging, FTI subjected them to even harsher testing where they seriously outlasted the gold variety. Pretty good bargain if you’re looking for max longevity.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2658898]That JVC media is not actually in the same archival league as the three that I posted. TY are one of the longer lasting regular DVD-R you can get. But they have been using that word “archival” as a marketing gimmick for a bit. The best archival DVD-R, like those JVC, Verb, and Falcon are rated 100+ year. If your biggest concern is getting the hard coat and you only need a disc that is one of the longer lived regular DVD-R, there’s certainly nothing wrong with the TYs.

Interesting little tidbit. While those platinum DVD-R tested similar to Gold DVD-R in normal accelerated aging, FTI subjected them to even harsher testing where they seriously outlasted the gold variety. Pretty good bargain if you’re looking for max longevity.[/QUOTE]

Oh I see. I did some looking and fount the one you posted. The one I posted is not ISO Certified. Reckon I am sol lol. I am not going to pay them kind of prices for backup. I have gigs and gigs to backup and they cost way to much money.

So the JVC Taiyo Yuden Hardcoat disc would seem like the best way to go if you cant afford the high dollar ones. The hard coat should protect it better. Then after that the Verbatim AZO DVD+R disc or another type of JVC Taiyo Yuden. Does anyone else make disc with a hard coating at a good price like TY?

My only concern is not only the hard coating. I just thought it was interesting that both Verbatim and JVC Taiyo Yuden had the hard coating. I looked at Falcon and they have a hard coating too lol.

My main concern is getting good quality media that will last awhile. I just figured that having that hard coating would be a extra bonus and extra protection. If the Verbatim AZO DVD+R or some other brand will last as long as the TY hardcoat then that’s fine with me.

You’re absolutely right about the hard coat adding longevity to your discs. The JVC should give you what you’re looking for.

Am I right saying that the TY hard coated disc is better than the Verbatims or is the Verbatims just as good? I seen on SuperMediaStore TY has a Premium Line. Is the Premium Line suppose to be any better than the normal and hard coated media? Should make a new thread about TY questions and backing up lol.

Getting back to why I posted. Why is all the archival grade media DVD-R? Even the Falcon is DVD-R.

[QUOTE=dreadd;2658954]Am I right saying that the TY hard coated disc is better than the Verbatims or is the Verbatims just as good? I seen on SuperMediaStore TY has a Premium Line. Is the Premium Line suppose to be any better than the normal and hard coated media? Should make a new thread about TY questions and backing up lol.

Getting back to why I posted. Why is all the archival grade media DVD-R? Even the Falcon is DVD-R.[/QUOTE]

In my experience, they are both almost always good for at least a few years. I don’t have experience with the TY hardcoat. I suspect they are equivalent to what SMS calls JVC “premium” discs. TYs used to come in normal and value grades. I don’t think this has changed. You can see how the packaging differs for the value.

Perhaps someone else here has seen a distinct longevity difference between TYs and Verbs in recent years?

MAM-A does make DVD+R gold archival. I do not know why Verb and others have chosen DVD-R.

Correction to the MAM-A link, they are here :o.

I fount this about the “premium” line. Click on “Files and Downloads” and you will see DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VALUE LINE AND PREMIUM. I do not know why other sites do not provide this or TY media site

[QUOTE=dreadd;2659627]I fount this about the “premium” line. Click on “Files and Downloads” and you will see DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VALUE LINE AND PREMIUM. I do not know why other sites do not provide this or TY media site[/QUOTE]

There’s really no “premium” or “value” specification for Taiyo Yuden.

You’ve got normal TY media, which is what some resellers call “premium” in order to distinguish between the two grades and assure the customer that they’re getting the approved product. On the JVC website, that’s all they show - normal (“premium”) Taiyo Yuden media that passes their quality standards.

Value-Line media are the rejects. They aren’t sold to OEM customers (i.e. Verbatim, Fujifilm, etc.), nor will you find them with prominent JVC or Taiyo Yuden branding. In terms of packaging, it’s tape wrapped media with a big “Value DVD-R” sticker around it. Some distributors used to list it as “Tru Blu DVD-R” to avoid any confusion.

For everyday use, I don’t think Value-Line is actually bad media (although I agree that it isn’t worth the money when normal TY media costs almost the same) if you scan/TRT your burns and throw out the defective ones, but I digress.