Why is A/V consistently out of synch for MP4?

vbimport

For the last 4+ months I’ve been finding all disc to MP4 operations are producing a file where the audio leads the video by approx 1 second. I’ve found this is happening in both the configurations I use:

1. PS3 profile with AAC 5.1 audio
  2. Generic MP4 profile with stereo audio

I saw an old post in the forum where someone said this can be fixed by using multiple freeware apps and doing mux/demux/re-encode operations. Mostly these were for MPG1/2 and more importantly, I don’t want to turn each rip into an all day project for one video.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution that doesn’t take an exorbitant amount of time? It would be nice if the software would allow us to intentionally slip either the audio or the video by a user-specified amount so that we can redo a rip and get a satisfactory result.

[QUOTE=Jayster;2593236]For the last 4+ months I’ve been finding all disc to MP4 operations are producing a file where the audio leads the video by approx 1 second. I’ve found this is happening in both the configurations I use:

I saw an old post in the forum where someone said this can be fixed by using multiple freeware apps and doing mux/demux/re-encode operations. Mostly these were for MPG1/2 and more importantly, I don’t want to turn each rip into an all day project for one video.

Anyone else experiencing this? [B]Is there a solution that doesn’t take an exorbitant amount of time?[/B] It would be nice if the software would allow us to intentionally slip either the audio or the video by a user-specified amount so that we can redo a rip and get a satisfactory result.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jayster

Sync issues in DVDFab as been going on for some time now which seems to jump between profiles, as for your question in bold I still use older version for certain projects because they still do a better job then the latest releases thus I have a v4, v5 and v6 still installed (didn’t care for v7).

BTW…What settingsdo you have on A/V Codec settings page ? and have you tried modifying the profile settings ?

[B]SJ[/B]

I burn quite a lot in the MP4 format to play on iPhone, iPad and AppleTV. I don’t have any trouble with the QT version. Make sure you rip from disc to hard drive and THEN go from hard disk to MP4. I’ve done both one and two-pass that have worked flawlessly.
-IP

I hadn’t imagined that copying to your HD first should make a difference. This certainly adds a lot of time and effort.

One thing I have discovered is a (sort of) workaround. I bought a Boxee Box for playing my videos. When you are watching a video, a run-time menu lets you intentionally slip the audio +/- 10 seconds. This helps a great deal. That little box is a miracle worker! It plays MKV files flawlessly, even high bitrate files. You can even tell it to download subtitles while you watch.

[QUOTE=Jayster;2596049]I hadn’t imagined that copying to your HD first should make a difference. This certainly adds a lot of time and effort.
.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does it has to do with the difference in the transfer rates between the optical drives and the HDD, the transfer rate is faster on the HDD then on the optical drive which can become bottlenecked at times.

I have this issue as well. It’ is most apparent when I use Air Video to stream to my Apple devices (a 1-2 second lag). The folks at Airvideo think the DVDFab MP4 format is not valid. AirVideo relies on the iOS player, so they are blaming DVDFab for the issue. I haven’t had time to mess with the different audio profiles to see if it helps with my issue, but the delay is less apparent when files are viewed on the PC.

My town cents.

[QUOTE=shootsbooz;2596984]I have this issue as well. It’ is most apparent when I use Air Video to stream to my Apple devices (a 1-2 second lag). The folks at [B]Airvideo think the DVDFab MP4 format is not valid.[/B] AirVideo relies on the iOS player, so they are blaming DVDFab for the issue. I haven’t had time to mess with the different audio profiles to see if it helps with my issue, but the delay is less apparent when files are viewed on the PC.

My town cents.[/QUOTE]

I would think if a file format was not valid it wouldn’t play, what codec do you have select in common settings-> A/V Codec ?

Also are you converting from the HDD ? also do you have any other applications running in the background ?, during the conversion process it requires a lot of the CPU resources.

You might also try setting all A/V codecs to software and make sure “Lightening Recode” box is not checked. It is my opinion that CUDA is poorly supported on some NVIDIA cards, I have one and the results are inconsistent at best. Some of the MP4 profiles have a default audio bit rate at a ridiculously high 448kbps which causes problems. And rip to the HDD first as advised.

[QUOTE=Jayster;2593236]For the last 4+ months I’ve been finding all disc to MP4 operations are producing a file where the audio leads the video by approx 1 second. I’ve found this is happening in both the configurations I use:

Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution that doesn’t take an exorbitant amount of time? It would be nice if the software would allow us to intentionally slip either the audio or the video by a user-specified amount so that we can redo a rip and get a satisfactory result.[/QUOTE]

I was having the same issue, and the advice given to me was to use the DVD Copy or Blu Ray Copy option and set the save location to a folder on your computer’s desktop or something.

Then drag those files into the DVD Ripper/Blu Ray Ripper once they’re done copying.

Someone said it has to do with delay between devices. That worked for me.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2626301]I was having the same issue, and the advice given to me was to use the DVD Copy or Blu Ray Copy option and set the save location to a folder on your computer’s desktop or something.

Then drag those files into the DVD Ripper/Blu Ray Ripper once they’re done copying.

Someone said it has to do with delay between devices. That worked for me.[/QUOTE]

Hi hogger129

Since it has been just about 8 months since Jayster has posted anything on this leads me to believe Jayster no longer needs help or advice, however you are correct copying the video to the hard rive first and then using the files as source to do the conversion process is the most recommended way.

Since the conversion process requires the GPU and/or CPU the HDD has a better chance of keeping up with the data transfer rate then the optical drive.

Course there are other factors which can cause out of sync issues.

[B]SJ[/B]