Why is 720P plasma and 720 LCD different resolution

vbimport

All 720P Plasma TV’s seem to be 1024 x 768.

All 720P LDC TV’s seem to be 1366 x 768

It is what it is…but just have to wonder why.

I was thinking of getting a Pano like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Produc/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889187079

A friend said he would go for an lcd because the specs of that unit did not seem to be HD specs to him? Quote from him:

“Have you actually looked at the different tvs in person?
For $800 I would get a Samsung or Visio HD LCD and not a plasma.
To me the plasma with 1024x768 pixels is low def not HD -
1920x1080 is HD. Even our cheap 32” is 1366x768 (EDTV).
We would have gotten a 42" HD set except it wouldn’t fit
in the entertainment center. As far as that goes, even the
26" LCD set we got is 1366x768."

I watch a lot of sports and it seems response time is not a factor in Plasmas…and reading around…it seems the best plasma is the Pano…as far as user reviews and quality (not breaking down).

I will be watching mostly SD content…

All I can see is the loop they have set up in the stores…how does the the different resolution Plasma (720p 1024 x 768) vs LCD (720P 1366 x 768) translate into picture quality? Can one see a difference in real life tv viewing?

Wish I could change title from Whis to Why

Never Mind…just bought a TV

[QUOTE=Roadhog;2134385]Never Mind…just bought a TV[/QUOTE]

…and I got a …

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2134423]…and I got a …[/QUOTE]

I got the pano 50" TH-50PX80U

It has better res of 1366 x 768 if that makes a difference…

$999.99 - $100 for using charge card…and free haul away of my old set and 1 year tech support—by phone. So $899.99 for a 50" Pano plus tax…decent deal.

I did not get the extended warranty…not sure if I made the right choice on that…but money is tight.

I am not looking for service code for this set…so I can access the secret menu to get at more setup options…I am going to start a new thread on that…but if any one knows of the code…or link…please post.

[QUOTE=Roadhog;2134439]I got the pano 50" TH-50PX80U

It has better res of 1366 x 768 if that makes a difference…

$999.99 - $100 for using charge card…and free haul away of my old set and 1 year tech support—by phone. So $899.99 for a 50" Pano plus tax…decent deal.

I did not get the extended warranty…not sure if I made the right choice on that…but money is tight.

I am not looking for service code for this set…so I can access the secret menu to get at more setup options…I am going to start a new thread on that…but if any one knows of the code…or link…please post.[/QUOTE]

Yo Roadhog-

That one has almost 100% five stars from Amazon customers - and couldn’t see any prices lower than yours-

Goodonya-eh!!

The scaler inside the TV and it’s ability to deal with the source will determine what resolution the set will be able to display.

HD starts at 1280×720

You will have a hard time telling the difference between 720p and 1080i.

Most sports broadcasts are done in 720p anyways.

As a entry level TV you should get reasonable performance, I assume that is what you are expecting and not the world from it. I understand about financial priorities.

In the short term enjoy what the TV will give you. The TV will downgrade 1080 sources to your TV’s max native resolution which is 1366 x 768. Which you could call 768p. which will be slightly better than 720p.

Don’t worry to much about 1080p yet. Deal with that down the road.

:cool::cool:

Entry level for most…but the caddy for me lol To me that is big bucks…but I understand…the top notch tv’ are much more…and probably worth it…if you have the cash.

This is replacing a 52-54 inch rear projection, 1994 model…fuzzy lol. this is a big step up. For some reason though…I have a 27" crt version that is very sharp…I always end of watching the big screen.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2134450]The scaler inside the TV and it’s ability to deal with the source will determine what resolution the set will be able to display.

HD starts at 1280×720

You will have a hard time telling the difference between 720p and 1080i.

Most sports broadcasts are done in 720p anyways.

As a entry level TV you should get reasonable performance, I assume that is what you are expecting and not the world from it. I understand about financial priorities.

In the short term enjoy what the TV will give you. The TV will downgrade 1080 sources to your TV’s max native resolution which is 1366 x 768. Which you could call 768p. which will be slightly better than 720p.

Don’t worry to much about 1080p yet. Deal with that down the road.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

But that’s the key, if it makes you happy. :slight_smile:

The HD environment is constantly changing, just like when you buy a computer. It’s outdated the time you walk out the door.

:cool::cool:

platinumsword

You have any idea where/how to get the service code for that tv so to enable advanced options/adjustments?