Why DVD-ROM, dual DVD writer and CD-RW combo?

I read a post while browsing through some old posts where some guy mentioned that the usual configuration is to have a DVD-ROM, dual DVD writer and CD-RW drive. Rdgrimes told me that the CD writing capabilities in DVD writers are picky with media…hence the extra CD-RW drive. But why the DVD-ROM drive?

Also, about the theoretical bad sectors here, or 7AB9 01B9 659A 04B9, what is stopping the SafeDisc people from implementing such bad sectors?

Does the LiteOn LTR52327S classify as the best drive for the forseeable future in handling upcoming copy protections?

But why the DVD-ROM drive?

for many reasons, such as if u have a dvd-rom that can read/rip faster or better than the dvd burner or if u want to place less stress on the dvd burner.

It’s just that there are 4 slots there, you keep buying drives till they’re full! :bigsmile:

But seriously folks, the DVDROM drives are so cheap, most like to keep one for ripping and reading. It’s just the old theory that it’s better to use a $40 drive than a $200 one for the mundane tasks.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]It’s just that there are 4 slots there, you keep buying drives till they’re full! :bigsmile:

But seriously folks, the DVDROM drives are so cheap, most like to keep one for ripping and reading. It’s just the old theory that it’s better to use a $40 drive than a $200 one for the mundane tasks. [/B]

I have a lot of DVD writers but I have only HDD connected to this PC even though it has 6 ATA-100 channels. What I need more is space and electricity, so costly here.