Why DVD-R and DVD+R?

vbimport

Why do manufacturers still make both DVD-R and DVD+R ? I use both and find no discernible difference. Is it just a commercial ploy to give consumers a false sense of choices? Any proven technical superiority one can claim over the other?

Any expert opinion will be greatly appreciated!

I’m no media expert by a long shot but to me it seems +R has lower PIE and PIF levels
than -R does and on older stand alone players -R is more compatible than +R is but with
newer models of stand alone players it really doesn’t make a difference if it is -R or +R.
Now as to why there is still -R and +R discs I guess the format war was never settled
like it was between Blu-Ray and HD so both camps just keep producing both -R and +R
discs which I guess helps to keep the prices down which is a good thing for us. :iagree:

DVD+R is technically superior, both reading and writing, but there is still much old professional (and most importantly, expensive) hardware which only takes one type of DVDR, so closing production of either would probably just isolate a market segment.

These days, you shouldn’t have a problem using either, so long as you use media from a decent manufacturer, and by that I don’t mean the marketing brand that has their grotty corporate logo all over your rebadged discs.

[QUOTE=debro;2077680]DVD+R is technically superior, both reading and writing, but there is still much old professional (and most importantly, expensive) hardware which only takes one type of DVDR, so closing production of either would probably just isolate a market segment.[/QUOTE]

And DVD-R format is much popular than DVD+R in Asia, where is the most of media manufacturers located.

[QUOTE=pepst;2077684]And DVD-R format is much popular than DVD+R in Asia, where is the most of media manufacturers located.[/QUOTE]
And the bootlegging?

ive always found +R to be a bit more expensive then -R aswell

+r lets you booktype though, which makes them compatable on alot of the old dvd players, because you can make the player think its a dvd-rom.

so compatibility wise not much different.

-r does have a little extra room on it (can’t remember how much, maybe 10 or 20 megs) so once and a while you’re trying to burn a dvd-r image on dvd+r and it won’t fit :slight_smile:

STICKY THREAD: The difference between DVD-R and DVD+R
NEIGHBOUR THREAD: Poll: DVD + or -R

I can’t see a reason to open new threads about this every other day, specially when the sticky is there for everyone to find and read.

[quote=Francksoy;2078046]STICKY THREAD: The difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

I can’t see a reason to open new threads about this every other day, specially when the sticky is there for everyone to find and read.[/quote]
Isn’t there also a sticky somewhere that says ‘Please read the Stickies and FAQs’? :flower:

[quote=Francksoy;2078046]STICKY THREAD: The difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

I can’t see a reason to open new threads about this every other day, specially when the sticky is there for everyone to find and read.[/quote]

Where are the sticky and/or neighbo(U)r threads ?

One advantage of -R media is that it will write the info of which recorder was used to write the disc. On +R media this information will not be written.

Something worth pointing out is that +R is the poor cousin of the full feature version: +RW. For this type of disc you can add:[ul]
[li]No need for finalising after recording
[/li][li]Multisession works reasonably well
[/li][li]Undo/redo booktyping whilst keeping the content
[/li][/ul]

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2078313]Something worth pointing out is that +R is the poor cousin of the full feature version: +RW. For this type of disc you can add:[ul]
[li]No need for finalising after recording
[/li][li]Multisession works reasonably well
[/li][li]Undo/redo booktyping whilst keeping the content
[/li][/ul][/QUOTE]

But far inferior longevity, no?

[QUOTE=dudeguy;2079324]But far inferior longevity, no?[/QUOTE]

That is because of RW.

Here’s the sticky: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/difference-between-dvd-r-dvd-r-103718/; as to theneighbo(u)ring thread, it probably moved…:rolleyes:

PS, there’s also a list of similar threads / / down there / / below the Quick Reply box.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2080435]Here’s the sticky: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/difference-between-dvd-r-dvd-r-103718/; as to theneighbo(u)ring thread, it probably moved…:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]Both threads were fully linked in my previous post, and the links were even in the OP’s quote of my post, which is why I didn’t care to reply to his question about where the threads were… :wink:

[QUOTE=chef;2080386]That is because of RW.[/QUOTE]

NAAH
Comparing Ritek DVD-RW vs RITEKG05 shows that the RW has a better longlivety :bigsmile:

Thanks “olyteddy” for the link to the neighbo(u)ring thread and for the hospitality towards a newbie such as myself.

And to “francksoy” from Western Europe, there is at least one like you in every forum so no hard feeling whatsoever :slight_smile:

Thank you all for having shared your knowledge on the subject.

[QUOTE=delerue;2080554]And to “francksoy” from Western Europe, there is at least one like you in every forum so no hard feeling whatsoever :)[/quote]“One like me”? You mean someone who kindly directs you to the best available source of info, who takes the time to search and build relevant links for you, who cares about board consistency so we can help people better and states so? :stuck_out_tongue: (but I bet that’s not what you had in mind :bigsmile: ) LOL

Francksoy, many thanks for your kindness and for taking the time to “help” out newbies. And may I PM you for additional technical advices ???

Have a good weekend in Western Europe somehow, my friend (who is now rolling on the floor laughing out loud.)

And yep, there is at least one like you in other DVD forums too!