Why don't hd tvs have built-in blu-ray players?

vbimport

Hi, just the other day I was talking to one of my friends about hd tvs. He wanted to know why the new hd tvs don’t have built in dvd/blu-ray players. I was also puzzled by the question since I did not know the answer. I know that most hd tvs don’t have built in dvd players (and that none have built in blu-ray players). When I did a google search, I did manage to find one or two hd tvs with a built in dvd player. Why don’t all hdtvs have them? My friend said that I would make life much easier since there would be fewer wires. Does anyone have the answer to his question?

Partly because most BD early adopters have nice HT systems that require separate audio and video components. Partly because there’s not enough demand for such a TV yet.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15330-Sharp-to-show-Aquos-HDTV-with-built-in-Blu-ray-player-at-CES.html

I wouldn’t want one. It’s just another thing to stop working. Either the TV goes out first or the player.

The built in old VHS/TV players didn’t go over to good.

[QUOTE=Bob;2179901]I wouldn’t want one. It’s just another thing to stop working. Either the TV goes out first or the player.

The built in old VHS/TV players didn’t go over to good.[/QUOTE]

Well I have a tv (standard def) that has a built in vhs and dvd player. It was made by toshiba and works perfectly well. I haven’t had any problems with it so far.

Blu-ray is referred to high definition video [B]AND AUDIO[/B]. Don’t know if you want to listen the hidef audio from the TV’s built in 10W speakers… But I guess in 10+ years from now when everyone has a blu-ray player like today everyone owns dvd player, they probably don’t mind…

[QUOTE=zaina;2179951]Blu-ray is referred to high definition video [B]AND AUDIO[/B]. Don’t know if you want to listen the hidef audio from the TV’s built in 10W speakers… But I guess in 10+ years from now when everyone has a blu-ray player like today everyone owns dvd player, they probably don’t mind…[/QUOTE]

Well why can’t a person connect hi def speakers to the tv AND have the bluray player built in. Also, that only covers bluray. But why don’t they at least have DVD players that are built in?

Such a combo is useless and fast obsolete.

[QUOTE=etep513;2180013]Well why can’t a person connect hi def speakers to the tv AND have the bluray player built in.[/QUOTE]Well then you would have to have a big amp in it. A lot of heat too.

[QUOTE=Bob;2180032]Well then you would have to have a big amp in it. A lot of heat too.[/QUOTE]

That’s a joke. It’s 2008 and companies still haven’t developed a compact HD sound solution. Ridiculous. By now, they should have TVs which hd speakers built into them.

Dunno about the US or Europe but Sharp has TVs with Blu-Ray out for a month now in JP…nothing new nor special…

[QUOTE=etep513;2180398]That’s a joke. It’s 2008 and companies still haven’t developed a compact HD sound solution. Ridiculous. By now, they should have TVs which hd speakers built into them.[/QUOTE]

I have over 500 lb of audio gear for my “HD sound solution”. I’m wondering how that would fit into a TV? Even modest high-end stereo speakers require a minimum of several cubic feet of cabinet space and maybe 50+ lb of speakers.
Conversely, there’s no current way to output high-end audio from a TV for decoding and amping externally, thanks to DRM and HDMI restrictions. They could output 7.1 analog audio, but that requires a large and expensive D-A converter.

It remains to be seen if any of the newest offerings of TVs with BD players will output hi-res audio in any way. It requires either HDMI output or 7.1 analog.

[QUOTE=CDan;2180424]I have over 500 lb of audio gear for my “HD sound solution”. I’m wondering how that would fit into a TV? Even modest high-end stereo speakers require a minimum of several cubic feet of cabinet space and maybe 50+ lb of speakers.
Conversely, there’s no current way to output high-end audio from a TV for decoding and amping externally, thanks to DRM and HDMI restrictions. They could output 7.1 analog audio, but that requires a large and expensive D-A converter.

It remains to be seen if any of the newest offerings of TVs with BD players will output hi-res audio in any way. It requires either HDMI output or 7.1 analog.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but the majority of consumers only care about video quality. Most could care less about hd sound. Companies should create tvs which offer a built in blu-ray player and a regular sound solution.

[QUOTE=etep513;2180597]Ok, but the majority of consumers only care about video quality. Most could care less about hd sound. Companies should create tvs which offer a built in blu-ray player and a regular sound solution.[/QUOTE]

I see people clammoring over audio quality just as much as they do video quality. As a matter of fact, I have not run across 1 person yet that has NOT had a dedicated audio setup or that has NOT had the intentions to purchase one down the road.

Do not forget that a lot of blu-ray movies are now coming out with even higher quality audio. For example, there are newer revisions of Dolby and DTS technology coming out to further immerse the end user in what he or she is watching.

I can understand that users will look to all-in-one sets as being convenient. However, at the moment serious users will look elsewhere for higher quality monitors, higher quality audio solutions, and higher quality players. In these times, people want to get the best bang for their buck and get an investment that they’ll be happy with for a long time. And since the HDTV and associated market is still pretty much a niche market, most of the users you encounter will only want the best. An all-in-one just will not be able to compete well as of right now. Later in the life of HD, it’s totally possible that users will feel comfortable with all-in-one units. But much like with the advent of DVD players, and VHS players, and so on and so forth, it is just too early to have these all-in-one units out.

There is one more thing: no one manufacturer will be able to do the best of all worlds. That’s part of the reason why serious users want to be able to pick their own stuff; they acknowledge that company A is good for the television, company B is good for the player, company C is best in audio, etc. There would be disappointed users out there, and at this stage, there’s not enough room to toy around with the idea of offering an inferior experience in any department. And since there would be one weak area for every set out there, users would try to compensate by still getting more equipment, losing the appeal of an all-in-one.

[Note I do understand that Sharp is coming out with a few combo units. But also note that they will only be a few combo products in a market full of traditional units, and that Sharp knows what they’re doing by not just diving in with a full range of products that attempt to do everything].

[QUOTE=etep513;2180597]Ok, but the majority of consumers only care about video quality. Most could care less about hd sound. Companies should create tvs which offer a built in blu-ray player and a regular sound solution.[/QUOTE]
Not so. What helped made DVD such a wonderful format was the inclusion of Dolby Digital 5.1 (and later DTS). Good video is only half of the experience. And unless you missed it a large part of Blu-Ray development has been centered around the sound.

[QUOTE=Albert;2180613]I see people clammoring over audio quality just as much as they do video quality. As a matter of fact, I have not run across 1 person yet that has NOT had a dedicated audio setup or that has NOT had the intentions to purchase one down the road.

Do not forget that a lot of blu-ray movies are now coming out with even higher quality audio. For example, there are newer revisions of Dolby and DTS technology coming out to further immerse the end user in what he or she is watching.

I can understand that users will look to all-in-one sets as being convenient. However, at the moment serious users will look elsewhere for higher quality monitors, higher quality audio solutions, and higher quality players. In these times, people want to get the best bang for their buck and get an investment that they’ll be happy with for a long time. And since the HDTV and associated market is still pretty much a niche market, most of the users you encounter will only want the best. An all-in-one just will not be able to compete well as of right now. Later in the life of HD, it’s totally possible that users will feel comfortable with all-in-one units. But much like with the advent of DVD players, and VHS players, and so on and so forth, it is just too early to have these all-in-one units out.

There is one more thing: no one manufacturer will be able to do the best of all worlds. That’s part of the reason why serious users want to be able to pick their own stuff; they acknowledge that company A is good for the television, company B is good for the player, company C is best in audio, etc. There would be disappointed users out there, and at this stage, there’s not enough room to toy around with the idea of offering an inferior experience in any department. And since there would be one weak area for every set out there, users would try to compensate by still getting more equipment, losing the appeal of an all-in-one.

[Note I do understand that Sharp is coming out with a few combo units. But also note that they will only be a few combo products in a market full of traditional units, and that Sharp knows what they’re doing by not just diving in with a full range of products that attempt to do everything].[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2181101]Not so. What helped made DVD such a wonderful format was the inclusion of Dolby Digital 5.1 (and later DTS). Good video is only half of the experience. And unless you missed it a large part of Blu-Ray development has been centered around the sound.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so instead of having huge speakers all over the living room, why don’t these companies develop HD wireles head phones that deliver the same quality sound? Wouldn’t that be the kingpin of hd sound?

I have no doubt that TVs with BD players inside will be around. But TVs with DVD players have certainly not set the world on fire, so BD-TVs won’t either. They will be another small niche market and nothing more. They will be sold by members of the BDA as a way to help further the BD cause.

[QUOTE=etep513;2181197]Ok, so instead of having huge speakers all over the living room, why don’t these companies develop HD wireles head phones that deliver the same quality sound? Wouldn’t that be the kingpin of hd sound?[/QUOTE]
High definition 7.1 surround sound - wireless - on two speakers …
I can just imagine the masses going wild over that :stuck_out_tongue:

Read the news on the front page - companies have released HDTV’s with Built in Bluray.

They’re about as popular as breathing lessons held in a skunks cage :stuck_out_tongue:

Bluray is expensive, HDTV’s are expensive. A HDTV with Builtin Bluray will be VERY expensive.
If the TV breaks down, you lose your Bluray player. If the bluray player breaks down, you lose your HDTV.

So the question is … why would you even bother buying one of these utterly useless, and troublesome devices?

The answer is -> Niche markets, like marketing, where the TV may be on display, and accessible to the public - you can stick a BD/DVD disc in, lock it & stick the whole kit & kaboodle somewhere & not have to worry about cables & etc.

Apart from that, it’s a stupid idea - and any consumer dumb enough to buy one of these should probably just give up on technology, and go back to playing with their etch-a-sketch :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Bob;2179901]I wouldn’t want one. It’s just another thing to stop working. Either the TV goes out first or the player.

The built in old VHS/TV players didn’t go over to good.[/QUOTE]

I concur, I have never been impressed with combo units. That being said there is a line out there (either from Sharp or Samsung) where they are starting to have built in blu-ray players. I remember reading an article about it a month or two ago.

Seems pointless to me. The major selling point of TV’s with built in DVD players is for space saving. Space saving and HD are NOT synonymous as HD requires a large screen TV.

I agree as well about cost, until just recently a nice flat panel tv cost as much as a good used car.
When I bought my 34" CRT hdtv they didn’t even include a HD tuner because of cost, and maybe because some folks were getting hd through their cable anyways.
I ended up buying a LG 4200a standalone HD tuner for about 250 6 months or so after I got over paying 1225 for the TV.
I mostly hate built in anything as it’s never as good as most stand alone anything anyways. To include the extra goodies they have to cut quality or cost somehow, then your stuck if some new feature comes along it can’t do, like many bd players…:a